bobbycoin

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

espana10pesetas.jpg

Spain, 10 Pesetas Silver Certificate issued by the Republican Government in 1935(6). Curiously at this time there were not any silver coins in circulation in Spain, and probably the promise to pay was based on paying out older Alfonso 5 Peseta coins from the late 19th century. In fact, they may have never paid out anything but these lovely notes printed by Bradbury Wilkinson in England.

Spain, 10 Pesetas Silver Certificate issued by the Republican Government in 1935(6).  Curiously at this time there were not any silver coins in circulation in Spain, and probably the promise to pay was based on paying out older Alfonso 5 Peseta coins from the late 19th century.  In fact, they may have never paid out anything but these lovely notes printed by Bradbury Wilkinson in England.

Actually Dave, they had circulating silver coins at the time, the 1 peseta 1933 (34) was a silver coin, the "rubias" were only struck in 1937, so in theory you could exchange this banknote for ten "1 Peseta" coins (silver).

And in Portugal, until the mid 80's the banknotes were all "gold certificates", there is the word "Ouro" below the denomination and there wasn't a circulating gold coin in Escudos ever minted, altough you could exchange this for gold at the state bank the word "Ouro" printed in the banknotes would simply be something psychological.

Jose :ninja:

My brother-in-law (wife's brother) and his wife are moving back to the States from Merrye Olde and in advance of that, sent us a CARE Package. Inside was a GUY FAWKES 2-Pound coin in an explanatory folder. On the edge: "Remember Remember the Fifth of November."

My brother-in-law (wife's brother) and his wife are moving back to the States from Merrye Olde and in advance of that, sent us a CARE Package.  Inside was a GUY FAWKES 2-Pound coin in an explanatory folder.  On the edge: "Remember Remember the Fifth of November."

sweet. that is on my shortlist of "buy soon" items, but it keeps managing to get bumped down everytime I go shopping for coins.

Some very nice coins from an auction that I won from Bobbycoin. Great coins - thanks.

AND a really great 1909 VDB for my circulated Lincolns - also from Bobbycoin. Great coin and a great deal. Thanks for that too.

Got a really nice package of coins from Daggit. Some nice half dollars and a few really nice SACs. The Sierra Leone 1 cent is outstanding. What a great design.

Well, Thursday I got my renewal membership kit for NGC, and they have a free gift each year, so I got this:

2006ase.JPG

Then yesterday, the UPS man arrived with this:

silver1.JPG

And today I got an envelope with an 1899 Black Eagle silver cert I bought from Blackhawk. It will fit perfectly with my other large size notes. Not a bad 3 days of mail!

Just received :

2 state quarters west virginia both UNc and 2 state quarters Nevada both UNC and a wooden nickel from the ocala coin club (Original nickel) Thanks for all Art!! :ninja:;)

And from the local dealer: :cry:

two banknotes: ;)

1000 won South Korea 1983

100 Korun Slovakia. 1999

;):lol:;)

It's been a pretty good couple of days, I got some wheaties to fill holes in my album from Art, then I got some more holes filled from my recently started Onza collection. Yesterday I received the 1990, 1991 and 1994:

silver5.JPG

Today I received the 1989 I bought on eBay, the last of the lettered edge variety:

silver6.JPG

Still have 2 more to go, was outbid on both on eBay this morning! Then I need to decide whether to pursue the proofs!

Nice stuff everybody. The onzas are really neat coins. I like the size and weight as well as the designs. I've been tempted to pick one up for pocket piece use.

Just returned from a trip to Phoenix to find several nice surprises: a wooden nickel from Art, two "06" nickels from the bunny, several coins I had bought from Harri (will get the money off tomorrow), and a very nice gift 10 euro Karl Schinkel coin from Christian. Thanks to all, it was nice to see these amonst all the junk mail/bills that were in the pile.

Well, the slab says MS-63, but the bag mark on the reverse alone would limit it to MS-62 in my opinion, then there is the black spot on the obverse somewhat obscured in the folds of liberty's robes.

There is a lot of chatter for a 63 but if it was only that, I would still call it borderline 62/63. I see the black spot - that does put it over the edge. Can you return it?