• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filled me another hole!

1911p20dobv.JPG

1911p20drev.JPG

I've been looking for a 1911 Saint in MS-63. (Putting together a 1911 gold date set in that grade). Yours looks to be a really nice 62. Congrats on another hole filled!

Yes, you are correct, this coin is a 62. 1911 is such a horrible date when it comes to finding nice looking coins. The luster is typically average at best and very often well below average. I've seen so many examples from MS-60 to MS-64 that look completely dull and lifeless, like they've been covered in 95 years of dust and dirt. This coin I would say has about average luster for the series, but above average for the date. Good luck with your set, it sounds pretty interesting! Why did you pick that year?

Yes, you are correct, this coin is a 62. 

Wow, I never would've guessed that. I'd be in for a 60.

Are the dings typical for the grade, or only for the grade of this particular coin.

I noted in the NGC collection that this series seems to be graded on a year by year basis.

Wow, I never would've guessed that.  I'd be in for a 60.

Are the dings typical for the grade, or only for the grade of this particular coin. 

I noted in the NGC collection that this series seems to be graded on a year by year basis.

In my experience, Saints are graded on an issue by issue basis, not even by year as the Philadelphia issue might vary greatly from the Denver or San Francisco issues (or vice versa) in a given year. This coin has one distracting rim ding on the reverse between the M and E in America, which I believe is not actually a rim ding but a planchet flaw as minted. Otherwise it is free of major distracting marks. It does have a very granular surface which may at first appear as a lot of chatter on the coin, but this is quite typical of the 1911 Philly issue. A lot of research has been done on the typical strike, luster and surface characteristics of each issue (much of it done by Akers in his difinitive work on the series in 1988). In addition, there are also considerations made for the rarity of the issue involved. Most grading companies and collectors are not at all forgiving for marks or other distractions on the common dates, like the 1924, 1927, 1928 or 1908 NM, but they can overlook quite a lot on the rare coins like the branch mint issues of the 1920s. I once saw a 1927-S Saints at auction by Heritage one graded MS-64 with a major set of scratches right across Liberty's torso, three in a row, like a cat scratched her. That type of mark would put a common date no higher than MS-60 or MS-61, but for a coin like the 27-S where NGC has graded only 107 compared with over 103,000 for the 1927, or more than 221,000 for the 1924, you can see how they might be a little more forgiving. That may not be right, but it's just the way it is with this series.

Good luck with your set, it sounds pretty interesting!  Why did you pick that year?

I wanted to get all 4 gold denominations in a matched set with the ultimate goal of putting them in an NGC multi-coin holder.

Why 1911? This may sound silly but its simply because I had to pick a date to work with.... and I happen to own a Colt model 1911A1 semi-auto. Sometimes things just present themselves and don't require any further thinking.

I wanted to get all 4 gold denominations in a matched set with the ultimate goal of putting them in an NGC multi-coin holder. 

Why 1911?  This may sound silly but its simply because I had to pick a date to work with.... and I happen to own a Colt model 1911A1 semi-auto.  Sometimes things just present themselves and don't require any further thinking.

It's actually not silly at all, but rather makes sense since the model 1911 was named such since it was adopted by the army as the standard sidearm that year, or so I've read.

It's actually not silly at all, but rather makes sense since the model 1911 was named such since it was adopted by the army as the standard sidearm that year, or so I've read.

You are correct. The design is still being manufactured and has been essentially unchanged for almost 100 years. How many things can you say that about?

Well, the mailman was good to me today! I got a plaque for my 2005 NGC best presented set, as well as a peace dollar from Dad's Stuff. And I got this:

1913d20dobv.JPG

1913d20drev.JPG

1913d20dedge.JPG

Sometimes it's nice to have raw gold to see all three sides! This one I bought off eBay for about 10% over melt, so not bad! :ninja:

Well, the mailman was good to me today!  I got a plaque for my 2005 NGC best presented set, as well as a peace dollar from Dad's Stuff.  And I got this:

Sometimes it's nice to have raw gold to see all three sides!  This one I bought off eBay for about 10% over melt, so not bad!  :ninja:

Congrats! - oh, and nice hunk of 'melt' that :lol:

Tin copy of a pillar dollar.

It only cost a buck but the shipper taped it down, on a piece of paper.  Only the coin, there was nothing protecting it from the tape. :ninja:

Acetone will clean the tape goo from the coin.

Got a nice package from BobbyCoin with the 1982 Lincolns that I needed for my set. Also got an outstanding 1953 Lincoln GEM as an extra. WOW! Thanks the 53 goes into my newly started Lincoln UNC set.

I got the PCI5 prizes yesterday. Some very nice silver from some guy named Miller. Thanks Stu! I'll try to take some pics this weekend.

I know I won 3 categories but one prize would have been plenty. I may have to run some contests in the near future to "share the wealth."

Guest Stujoe
I got the PCI5 prizes yesterday.  Some very nice silver from some guy named Miller.  Thanks Stu!  I'll try to take some pics this weekend.

I know I won 3 categories but one prize would have been plenty.  I may have to run some contests in the near future to "share the wealth."

3 wins. 3 prizes. :lol: I did send different coins though rather than 3 Libertads. :ninja:

yesterday I got these:

2006p1d1.JPG

But they are very strange compared to every other roll of eagles I've purchased, as these have this semi-arc of frost on the top that make them look like someone painted them! I think you can see it a little better on the following photo. Has anyone else noticed this on the 06 ASE?

2006p1d2.JPG