• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

clam shell? :lol:

[ img ]~removed~[ /img ]

any chance for a picture?

I call them clamshell cases, I don't know what the "official" term is. Kind of like the little hinged box that rings and some other jewelry come in.

I don't have a camera, so it is virtually impossible for me to capture 3-D images. I did post the photos of the sets that I grabbed from the auctions that the sellers provided. They are shown in a thread in the British forums, if you care to wander down there. :cry:

Eventually I will get a digital camera, and then I will have to take a week or six off from work, lock myself in the den, and re-image my entire collection. :ninja:

sirakusa5.jpg

Hemilitron (AE 17mm) 344-317 bc. ΣΥΡΑΚΟΣΙΩΝ head of Persephone l., wearing triple-pendant earring and necklace, hair tied with fillet. Rv. Forepart of Pegasos left; below Σ. 4,83gr. Head of Persephone. SNG ANS 530; SNG Cop.734; Laffaille 224; Virzi 1493; Calciati II 184,79

And it looks much much nicer than the photograph. :ninja:

Here is a nice VG10 1874 Trade dollar which also came today. It looks nicer than my ANACS F12 1874 which I paid $145 for. This beauty cost me $85. Oh well.

I think you made an excellent purchase on this one. It's a great looking Trade Dollar.

Three ShortSnorter 2006 notes arrived today.

Henare --

Burks --

Parish --

A very nice Canadian 1993 Unc Set that I got in one of Daggit's auctions.

A nice offering of Indian Head Cents, a really nice colored Maple Leaf, and a few Lincolns that I needed. All from Tiffibunny --- thank you. And all in yesterday's mail.

That's quite a haul of dollars. Going on a silver binge?

I don't know why, but lately I've had a hankering for junk silver dollars. There's a nice vest pocket dealer that comes to our coin club meetings, and he had some nice AU/BU peace dollars, and then he pulled out his "culls" at a low price but he wanted to sell the whole lot. So after the meeting I came home with 39 silver dollars! And the culls weren't too bad, there was one 1923 with a hole in it, but most were nice well circulated coins, a few morgans with full rims, and even 2 1924-S peace dollars in AG.

Another beautiful St Gaudens for Jtryka. Congrats. It's wonderful.

Thanks Art!

This one is actually a pretty nice example (photos always exaggerate the marks and planchet flaws). I still need a 25 and 23-D among the commons in the 20s, but the 23 is usually a bigger challenge. It's certainly common in MS-63 and lower, but tougher when you get to MS-64 and MS-65, and almost impossible above MS-65 (Akers rated this issue an R-1 in MS-60 to MS-62, R-3 in MS-63 jumping to low R-6 in MS-64 and high R-6 in MS-65). Generally these are fairly well struck, though most have weakness around the Capitol building and nearby stars, though this one has nice details in the Capitol with moderate weakness by the stars, a little better than usual, however there is some weakness in the torch and hand. Like many other examples of this date, this one has a partial wire rim (unfortunately obscured by the holder), you can see a little of it in the photo above the IBE in Liberty on the obverse, and a large section of the reverse extending from the I in United almost to the eagle's tail feathers.

I got this in the mail today to fill one more empty slot:

sweet - ya know your coin reminded me that I had decided to break down and by some gold - had it all worked out..2.50 / 5.00 / 10.00 Indian and an SG - Was working on less than $1200 for ef/au from a local dealer who does a great deal of buisness in metals - but gold was at about 412-415 and I was waiting a bit...I think that was last Sep-Oct or something - I was going to get myself an xmas present - lol

sweet - ya know your coin reminded me that I had decided to break down and by some gold - had it all worked out..2.50 / 5.00 / 10.00 Indian and an SG - Was working on less than $1200 for ef/au from a local dealer who does a great deal of buisness in metals - but gold was at about 412-415 and I was waiting a bit...I think that was last Sep-Oct or something - I was going to get myself an xmas present - lol

That always seems to happen! I was looking for a particular date last fall, and saw loads of examples priced at below $700, now I can't find a descent looking example for less than $900! Though one thing I've learned in my years of collecting gold is to be patient above all else. In the past I've jumped on a coin only to find a much nicer and cheaper example a few months down the road! It may take you a while, but this is a worthy set. I would advise you to be patient and buy the nicest coins you can afford, even if it's not just a Christmas present, but several Christmas presents stretching to 2010 and beyond!

That always seems to happen!  I was looking for a particular date last fall, and saw loads of examples priced at below $700, now I can't find a descent looking example for less than $900!  Though one thing I've learned in my years of collecting gold is to be patient above all else.  In the past I've jumped on a coin only to find a much nicer and cheaper example a few months down the road!  It may take you a while, but this is a worthy set.  I would advise you to be patient and buy the nicest coins you can afford, even if it's not just a Christmas present, but several Christmas presents stretching to 2010 and beyond!

Agreed, patience is important. It is not difficult for me to be patient with a large ticket item. I do grow impatient with the smaller ticket items, except I call it being spontaneous and giving myself a well deserved indulgence - :ninja:

This dealer amazes me - the volume of metal he sells is pretty impresses. His stock of rare coins is even more impressive (oh the 42/41 dime I saw this morning - s w e e t - and $1195). Thing is, when I have a chance to get there it is always crowded with gold-hungry non-collectors and non-collecting sellers. His prices are good, especially when he has a lot of a particular item, but like I said - he moves a lot of stuff. So, for example, in the case, he had maybe 20-30 raw St Gaudens - maybe next time he will have 5 or 50.

There is also not much 'dealing'. You get an assistant to bring him the coin for pricing and that's it. It also appears that he does not do shows or inet auctions.

I have purchased from him for a couple years now and believe he is an honest dealer. I'm pretty sure that when the time is ripe, I will still get the set.