CoinPeople.com

What did the mailman bring today?

bobbycoin

So I've wanted David Bower's "The History of United States Coinage: As Illustrated by the Garrett Collection" for a long long time. I'm talking since back in the late 70's/early 80's. A week or 10 days ago Frannie had me looking for some stuff on Amazon. They had a sweepstakes you could enter by putting something in your "wish list". So I searched for the Garrett Collection and found a bunch of them. Prices were all over the place. Picked a seller with good feedback and a book in very good condition. Put it in my "wish list". Went back the next day and bought it. $15.68 plus 3.99 for s&h. Rather good, I think.

Book comes in today's mail. It's in great shape. Obviously used but never abused. Top it off -- book is signed with a dedication to James Ruddy by David Bowers. WOW! To me that makes it extra special.

Congrats, Art! You gotta scan the signature for us! He's like the Bono of the coin collecting world!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I've wanted David Bower's "The History of United States Coinage: As Illustrated by the Garrett Collection" for a long long time. I'm talking since back in the late 70's/early 80's. A week or 10 days ago Frannie had me looking for some stuff on Amazon. They had a sweepstakes you could enter by putting something in your "wish list". So I searched for the Garrett Collection and found a bunch of them. Prices were all over the place. Picked a seller with good feedback and a book in very good condition. Put it in my "wish list". Went back the next day and bought it. $15.68 plus 3.99 for s&h. Rather good, I think.

Book comes in today's mail. It's in great shape. Obviously used but never abused. Top it off -- book is signed with a dedication to James Ruddy by David Bowers. WOW! To me that makes it extra special.

Congrats, Art! You gotta scan the signature for us! He's like the Bono of the coin collecting world!

Got two really nice Jeffersons in the mail today.

1979-S Type 1

4154207424_0e7388193c_o.jpg4154207444_cde3dcb29d_o.jpg

1995-S

4154207352_57d3cfdf0c_o.jpg4153447239_3637896165_o.jpg

I love the look of the newer proof Jeffersons, but I really prefer the modeling of the hair on the older ones. The "extra" hair in the newer designs is just too much for such a small coin. I prefer to see complexity based on size not on concept when it comes to coins.

I love the look of the newer proof Jeffersons, but I really prefer the modeling of the hair on the older ones. The "extra" hair in the newer designs is just too much for such a small coin. I prefer to see complexity based on size not on concept when it comes to coins.

Agree. Art, what signifies it as a Type I?

Got a terrific Christmas Card from Tommyd and as a surprise it had two brand new from rolls dollars -- Taylor & Polk.

Thanks Tommy!!

And from Dave

A beautiful card with two squished pennies and a beautiful customer note - The Bank of Landalok 100 Simoleans. Wonderful. Thank you Dave.

Next up:

A nice envelope full of Canadian Coins from Daggit. Thanks Daggie -- You know I'm always looking for those little Canadian beauties. :ninja: (and the coins too.) ;) ;)

I love large cents in that condition. I let myself flip them with my finger to see them spin in the air with the quintessential "ting" that every good coin possesses.

Not a bad day mailman wise , the past two days he has brought packages from home so now that im sated with penquins and cadburys today he brought forth the Edward l we discussed the other day..sweet..i missed an opportunity to obtain a much better example just yesterday as i was caught up in another auction which ultimatly i didnt win so it was a double loss..bah..

Along with the Eddie came the beauty ive been using as an avatar , took a while to get here but it arrived today with its partner a rather cute scottish turner of a type i didnt previously have.

I thought it magnificent those 3 coins arrived the same time , a real step back in time for me holding those.

Also i got 8 brand new shiny 2009 cents , one of each from both mints , i subscribed and have the boxes of the lp cents but i cant bust one open just to see the coin , so i got these for display in the dansco (Dont tell Scott im putting 1c's in a Dansco,he'll have an anurism)

Only paid 99c for the 8 plus a buck shipping.Ive a very nice old cent overdue , ill get pics when it arrives , somehow ive accumulated more than just a few of these.

• 2 weeks later...

Today i took delivery of an AU 1922 Grant commemorative , pleased with that one as it is probably undergraded if anything.An 1895 IHC with full headress feathers details and Liberty , absolutly stunning.

Im still waiting for the James l sixpence , its coming from the UK so 10 days isnt really overdue this time of year.

Nothing today but a wonderful surprise Christmas package yesterday. Great additions to my collection and a big increase in my enjoyment factor.