What did the mailman bring today?

bobbycoin

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right, that is the one. Would actually have been odd to depict any other pagoda, as the coin commemorates the 250th anniversary of Kew Gardens. http://www.kew.org/whatsnew/anniversary-coin.html Personally I would have liked to see the Palm House on that coin, but the pagoda is much older ...

Christian

It really depends, there are many types of 2s used on the series, and even on a single date like this with over 50 die marriages. The most distinct difference is the base of the 2, with some being a square base (like this one) vs. the curled base. However, the sharp thin curl of the serif on the 2 is a diagnostic for this die marriage (O-109, R.4).

Well, it's actually very well executed from the design, the lettering seems a little off, but that's really because the coin is of reduced diameter (the size of a $10 gold piece with double thickness). I've seen the original in the Smithsonian, and this compares extremely well to that coin. Given the size, with the naked eye it seems like some areas are less detailed, but when you look with a loope, they are all there and then some. As a purist, my biggest complaint is the addition of the motto on the reverse, but again it makes this a one-year type!

Well, it's actually very well executed from the design, the lettering seems a little off, but that's really because the coin is of reduced diameter (the size of a $10 gold piece with double thickness). I've seen the original in the Smithsonian, and this compares extremely well to that coin. Given the size, with the naked eye it seems like some areas are less detailed, but when you look with a loope, they are all there and then some. As a purist, my biggest complaint is the addition of the motto on the reverse, but again it makes this a one-year type!

So do you consider it a true St. Gaudens, or a knock-off for the government to make more money like the last bullion series?

Yes, this is nothing at all like the gold eagle bullion coins which are lower relief and have a completely different reverse. This coin has only three differences from the original that I can see, the date, the motto and the fact that it has $20.67 in gold by 1907 standards, making it overweight and unacceptable by those standards. I would consider it part of the Saint series, so long as it is a 1-year issue, which is my understanding. If they start making these every year, my views would likely change.

Ok, this one didn't come in the mail, but I picked it up at a local show today, a nice 1805 draped bust! I also picked up an 1877 trade dollar with a hole in it as a filler for my Dansco 7070, but it was in the 1/2 off bin, so I can complain for $22!

1805p50cobv.JPG

1805p50crev.JPG

1877x1dobv.JPG

1877x1drev.JPG

Nice Jeff, the 1805 makes me drool, love the draped bust coinage. I still need to upgrade my half, but uh...wedding and all, lol. :ninja:

1912 is a key date?

i got a 1912 V cents just the other day... badly worn though

1912-S - one of the few keys of that series. The S is hiding at the bottom left (8 o clock position) on the reverse.

1912-S - one of the few keys of that series. The S is hiding at the bottom left (8 o clock position) on the reverse.

Upon retuning from Portland yesterday, I had an interesting, and disturbing envelope from the USPS. All that was in it is a crinkled, jagged edged scrap of paper with my name and address. It is obviously from an envelope that was sent to me. The back of the USPS envelope say's "WE CARE", and an apology for damaging my mail. The way the paper is crinkled, I think something (a coin)? may have been in the original envelope that got caught in the cancelling machine. I will take it to the PO tomorrow, but I'm sure there is nothing they can do. I will always wonder where this came from though, and what was in it.