What did the mailman bring today?

bobbycoin

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought the 2008 Canadian Locomotive coin from eBay (the Royal Hudson) that should be on its way. But yesterday I had to settle for these two arriving in the mail:

This first one has some neat cracks, though not sure you can see them all in my poor photos:

987366.jpg

The next one is common but has some pretty toning, though again, not that you'd be able to see in my poor photos:

987367.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love it, Kornholio. How many other SA coins do you have?

Jeff, I like the gentle wear on the 1818 but the 1825 has surprisingly appealing wear too.

Love it, Kornholio. How many other SA coins do you have?

Not a whole lot, maybe 5 or 6 in total. I picked up a partial set of 1965 proofs (the 1c, 2c and 10c) from a junk box a couple years ago just because they were toned. I saw some neat designs in the Krause book that have tickled my brain a bit and will probably fuel some new searches/pickups.

Yes, busties are perhaps the best wearing coin designs ever to come out of the mint! Plus I really like the album toning on the 1818/17!

I disagree. I think the wear of the *die* is what this series is known for (which is why I don't own one - can never find one with good wear patterns, or one that the liberty doesn't look like a zombie). As for the suggestion that it's the best wearing coin design, I think I started a poll with that question a few years ago. Let me try to find it.