bobbycoin

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1973 Isle of Man 2 pounds gold. Mintage of 3,612. 15.9 grams of 22k gold, just shy of 1/2oz of gold content. I've always liked this design. It's been kind of a hard one to track down.

I was originally looking for a sovereign of this type, but when this 2 pounds presented itself, I jumped on it. Did end up paying 6% more for it than I had hoped, damn customs :(

1973isleofman2poundsgol.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm...about that date set, I guess it depends on where you start! For the capped busts, I am only missing 1815 now that I have the 1822. For the reeded edge halves I am missing 1836 and 1839. For the Draped bust, there I am missing a lot, still need 1796, 1797, 1801 and 1802, and for flowing hair I still need the 1794 and 1795. So I guess I am close?

1976 Turks and Caicos Islands 20 crown Queen Victoria proof (600 grains of sterling silver, 1.16oz asw). I had seen the coins before but had no idea that they were actually minted at the Royal Canadian Mint. I also didn't realize that (some of?) the coins came with these little books about Queen Victoria's life.

1976turkscaicos20crownv.jpg

Hmm...about that date set, I guess it depends on where you start! For the capped busts, I am only missing 1815 now that I have the 1822. For the reeded edge halves I am missing 1836 and 1839. For the Draped bust, there I am missing a lot, still need 1796, 1797, 1801 and 1802, and for flowing hair I still need the 1794 and 1795. So I guess I am close?

"Depends on where you start" indeed! Certainly you don't have a lot of holes left in the whole date run. But if you want 'em all, financially you ain't even started, if you don't have the flowing hair dates. You've started once you get those. But then there is the 1796 and 1797--the two draped bust/small eagle dates... which even in AG-3 apparently are up into five figures. You have your work cut out for you. Good luck! This will be quite an achievement.

I am working a copper/nickel/silver type set, 1800-1964, myself... and there is a reason my set starts with 1800! Some of the denominations don't get too ridiculous in price back into the late 1790s but if you push back far enough just about everything has a type (much less a specific date!) that will annihilate your bank account in any grade I'd want to put in a type set (or any grade at all). [Dimes seem to be an exception; I might stretch my budget a bit and squeak into a small eagle reverse (and pull a tinfoil clad one out of circulation too) to have a complete dime type set but I want to put off thinking about that until I'm a lot closer to getting my 19th century types done.]

Conveniently for half dollar date collectors like you, there is a type change in 1800; the heraldic eagle belongs entirely to the 1800s (starting in 1801 so you can say "nineteenth century" without someone getting pedantic on you) while the small eagle is a 1790s design. If you get all of the 180x dates you have all of the heraldic eagle series. So you could just say you concentrated on only the reeded edge, capped bust and draped bust/heraldic eagle series OR you can say you stuck to the 19th century. If I am not mistaken you do not have any 1790s dates yet at all, so this might be a convenient way to move the goal posts closer and be able to someday declare victory without a second mortgage.

By the way, did you get both 1807s (the draped and capped bust), or are you satisfied to just have any ol' 1807?

My favorite purchase from Pittsburgh ANA is something right up your alley: an 1807 Draped Bust half. I also picked up an 1839 (reeded edge, "Half Dol"). Still looking for the "50 Cents" sub type. And I might decide that 1807-08 is a different sub type in which case I need one of those too. (And we won't discuss that I need seven more seated liberty halves what with all the subtypes...) Anyhow. I am finding this pre-1840 stuff (or maybe it's better identified by the initials "JRCS") more and more interesting, that's for sure. Between them and Seated Liberty sub-types for all the silver denominations I have my work cut out for me.

Meanwhile, you've picked an area that has quite a following... you might even start delving into die varieties and someday qualify to join the Bust Half Nut Club--I think they also do Draped Bust. I'm a confirmed type collector, emphatically into that kind of minutia, so I will never make it.

Steve,

I think I have maybe 40 die marriages, so I'm a ways off from the BHNC, but I'll get there someday. As for the 1807, that was the date of my first DBH, but later I got the CBH as well, just the common 50/20 variety. As for finishing this set, I am fortunately not working on deadline, so it will get as complete as it gets! LOL

1976 Turks and Caicos Islands 20 crown Queen Victoria proof (600 grains of sterling silver, 1.16oz asw). I had seen the coins before but had no idea that they were actually minted at the Royal Canadian Mint. I also didn't realize that (some of?) the coins came with these little books about Queen Victoria's life.

Very nice Matt. I hadn't seen this before. It is a very nice way to "display" this nice piece.

The mailman delivered this today.

6300307359_de204b171d_z.jpg

B046 1980 ANA Midyear Series 1896 Educational 5 dollar reverse by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr