Grifter

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got another one of the '09 SLQs -- the Northern Mariana Islands:

990559.jpg

I get a roll or two of quarters every week for bus fare and laundry, and these suckers just are *not* turning up. I still haven't seen a State Park quarter.

I was doing the ritualistic asking for Ikes, $2 bills and pre-1970 halves at the banko yesterday and the teller said she did have one pre-1970 half but that it was "dirty, and you probably won't want it" :evilbanana: Oh not a problem, me thinks, I will just take it anytheways an do with it what I please, hmmn thinking along the lines of Pink Floyd's song "I need a dirty woman".

Yep, narsty toned 1964 Kennedy - $12.76 worth of fine American silver, worth 24.50 times what I paid for it. God, I love America, and I love doity coins :evilbanana:

The 2009 coins seem to be increasingly difficult to find in circulation these days. I expected them to hit circulation en masse once the novelty of all the new designs wore off, but the number I see on a daily basis in my till seems to be slowly dwindling. I still have not seen a single '09 cent with the "Presidency" reverse, and probably never will...

The 2009 coins seem to be increasingly difficult to find in circulation these days. I expected them to hit circulation en masse once the novelty of all the new designs wore off, but the number I see on a daily basis in my till seems to be slowly dwindling. I still have not seen a single '09 cent with the "Presidency" reverse, and probably never will...

The only '09 cents I've found on the street have been literally on the street -- lying on the sidewalk or in the gutter -- and of that, only two. I still haven't got any in change.

• 3 weeks later...

Today we were on our way home from a shopping trip and drove through the drive thru at McDo's to get a drink. My wife's decision. Anyway I was going to give her some pocket change to pay for the drinks with - but was sluggish getting it out before my wife handed the clerk a $10. I am glad I didn't give her the change, because in the change back I got a neat find - a lightly circulated with still quite a bit of the original finish 1943 steelie - rust free! First time I have ever gotten one that looked fairly new and not rusted out to a bronze colour.

Today we were on our way home from a shopping trip and drove through the drive thru at McDo's to get a drink. My wife's decision. Anyway I was going to give her some pocket change to pay for the drinks with - but was sluggish getting it out before my wife handed the clerk a $10. I am glad I didn't give her the change, because in the change back I got a neat find - a lightly circulated with still quite a bit of the original finish 1943 steelie - rust free! First time I have ever gotten one that looked fairly new and not rusted out to a bronze colour.

nice got a UNC 1943-S sitting at home in a plastic case

American Samoa quarter today, and Guam, but I already have Guam. Still never a '10 quarter.

Still haven't seen a National Parks quarter of any type in change.

I have seen them (and occasionally I'll get a 2009 cent), but it's extremely infrequent. I am sure I haven't seen all that have come out, either of the DC and territories or the "America the Beautiful" quarters.

The mintages have dropped drastically in the past few years, between the economy and the novelty wearing off. Bascially (to borrow a line from The Incredibles), ever quarter issued is "special" now.... so none of them are. The general public (which hugely outnumbers us obsessive-compulsive collectors) is suffering from "quarter fatigue" and frankly, so am I. When I read somewhere that the mint has the legal option to *repeat* this "national parks" program and have it run into the 2030s, I let out the loudest "sigh" in history, wondering if I will die before the mint issues a "normal" quarter again.

IMHO the ATB program is ruined from the outset by rigging it so every state gets to put something in... it's an attempt to deny the fact that some states simply do not have any natural/historic feature worth putting in a national park, and many others have multiple such. Hence we will be seeing national seashores and the like before too long, while something as magnificent as Grand Tetons or Mesa Verde or Sequoia gets short shrift. We've already had one mere national forest, though it was saved from being laughed to death by being the one surrounding Mount Hood!

You probably didn't realize that that quarter was commemorating Mount Hood National Forest, did you, and not the mountain itself? They left off "National Forest." Well, at least Mount Hood National Forest actually has trees in it unlike many Western National "Forests" that are in the middle of some desert. I can't wait to see a treeless "forest" on a quarter. Good news is those states are the ones that tend to have actual national parks in them, so it's unlikely even if the program repeats.

Now the good thing is... these low mintages represent a potential buying opportunity. 20 years from now it will be excruciatingly difficult to find these coins except by going to a coin shop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I received a 1952-S Roosevelt dime in change tonight from my favorite Asian deli.

Probably XF or so and my birth year. :banana:

That was weird.

Got a roll of quarters for bus fare and laundry at the grocery on my way in to work today, stuffed it in my pocket, didn't think anything about it. Got home, took a look at it and saw a *lot* of shiny, mint-fresh edges, and I'm thinking that out of all those, there has got to be at least one National Parks quarter.

I now have $7.25 in mint-state 2004-P Florida quarters. :confus:

I mean, these have clearly never seen circulation, beyond that necessary for a machine to put 'em in a clear plastic roll. Heck, they're better'n what I already have in my album!

Gotta be one of the weirdest pulls I've ever had.