CoinPeople.com

Latest Circulation Find

Grifter

I've noticed a sudden surge of Canadian coins through my work. In addition to the '69 quarter I snagged today, there have been numerous cents from the '80s (plus a '42 GVI cent I found a few weeks ago, and a '67 centennial a few days ago). Interesting find, since Canadian coins seldom spill into circulation in the deep south.

Except for the occasional '50s nickel, things seem to be drying up. Wheat pennies are rare. '09 cents are down to 1-2 per day. Territory quarters are drying up rapidly, and I haven't seen an ATB quarter in a couple months.

And speaking of quarters, I think I am going to pick up a box from the bank to survey exactly what's out there. I'll keep you posted!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I'll have to take back what I said a couple days ago. This is just in my till at work today:

1950, 1955 wheatie

1963-D silver dime

1940 nickel

2009-P Puerto Rico Quarter

BU Bicentennial Quarter

I think some kid is going to be in a lot of trouble....

Well I just got back from what was probably my best circulation find _ever_. I bought a six inch hoagie at a shop on campus, and was thunderstruck to get a 1944 silver quarter in my change!! The sandwich cost less than five bucks, I think this quarter made it free. (I noticed the color was off, glanced at the edge and saw no red... looked at the date and almost did cartwheels out the door. Silver quarters don't turn up that often--in fact I think it has been well over ten years for me--and when they do it seems they are always from the 60s.)

Silver quarters are tricky things. I started looking for them in change when I was about 4 years old, and in all the years since then I have only ever found two--one that my friend got in change for an energy drink from the gas station, and one in my till at work. Both were XF 1964-Ds, interestingly enough.

Also, some silver of my own: a nice 1962-D dime in my till yesterday.

Well I just got back from what was probably my best circulation find _ever_. I bought a six inch hoagie at a shop on campus, and was thunderstruck to get a 1944 silver quarter in my change!! The sandwich cost less than five bucks, I think this quarter made it free. (I noticed the color was off, glanced at the edge and saw no red... looked at the date and almost did cartwheels out the door. Silver quarters don't turn up that often--in fact I think it has been well over ten years for me--and when they do it seems they are always from the 60s.)

I have had situations like that where I ask if they have half dollars to give me in change and then get a '64 and have to contain my excitement so they don't get the idea to save them instead of give them to me :yahoo:

I have had situations like that where I ask if they have half dollars to give me in change and then get a '64 and have to contain my excitement so they don't get the idea to save them instead of give them to me :yahoo:

I've had that same reaction when I got the '64 half dollar, '35-E $1 silver certificate, and '16-S penny. It's hard sometimes :P

Out of curiosity, how many fake £1 coins are there in the UK? A coin as thick as a pound can never accidentally make it into circulation here in the states, but out of the 4-5 pound coins that I've either owned or been asked to look at, two of them have been fake. Are they really that common, or do Brits just like to pass off phony pounds to dumb tourists?

I have seen articles in the British press suggesting that at times 1 in 40 coins is suspect. The problem with the real coins is that they wear down pretty easily from heavy usage so that the fakes blend in well with them.

I've noticed that as well, but it always seems to be the edge lettering that gives it away. The first one I saw was very sloppy; it looked sort of like a kid's handwriting scratched into the coin, and the surface of the coin was pitted and didn't have much definition... it just didn't look "right." The second one looked much more genuine, but the edge lettering was a sans-serif font... real pounds use a serif font.

A circulated 1971 US quarter.

Notable only because it (finally) completes a from-change collection of clad pre-statehood quarters. Actually, I'm complete through the fifty states, except for a Utah quarter from the Denver mint. The DC/territorials are rarely seen--I only have Philadelphias for four of them, P&D both for Puerto Rico only, and neither USVI--and the national parks quarters may as well not exist.

Ironically, the 1971 quarter was special-delivered to my desk. I'd lost $1.25 in the pop machine; the quarter was in the refund envelope.

It's been quite a while since I've posted but last night was something worth noting. I got seven silver dimes from a till last night. Definite album toning, but nothing too special about them otherwise; all roseys. But hey, $0.70 face in silver at face is something I'm stoked about.

I have no idea how many holes I have in my SQ collection... I just didn't see many of the last few years of SQs due to the atrocious economy.

Even getting frequent rolls of quarters (between laundry and bus fare, I get at least a roll or two a week), anything after Hawaii is just disturbingly rare. I really don't want to have to resort to purchasing quarters from the last couple years, but it's definitely heading in that direction.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up two rolls of quarters. One was of newer stuff, incl. Gettsburg (my first ATB), the other had lots of older stuff that'd been sitting around (incl. an EF '65), but did have a NMI, so I was happy.