CoinPeople.com

Latest Circulation Find

Grifter

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panama still pegs to the dollar, so they are the same size. A friend of mine went to Panama 3 or 4 years ago and brought me back some half balboas and they are identical in size and composition to a Kennedy half (in fact they were produced by the US Mint until the early 1980s I believe).

The conversion rate is 1-1 since one balboa has been pegged to $1 since at least the 1930s (in the early 20th century, a Balboa was almost $2). I have come across 1/4 balboas too, and actually thought about spending them in the pop machine at work! I believe they still have 1/10th, 1/4 and 1/2 Balboas that are the same as our coins, not sure about the nickel though. I think they are now using a small coin for 1 balboa, though it used to be identical in every respect to the silver dollar, 26.73 grams 0.900 fine silver!

In the past I have gotten Panamanian coinage in change, somewhere I have a 1973 1/10th balboa that I received in change in a grocery store in Texas some years ago. I have also received some of the earlier Phillipines coinage, ie the centavos from the 1960's in change in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

20 rolls of pennies:

The usual lincolns and early QEII's, plus:

1926D wheat

1944 wheat

1947ML Geo VI

1951 GEO VI

1963 QEII AU/BU? Beautiful coin!

Not too bad for such a small batch, I'd say.

Oh, yeah. My favorite teller saved 2 rolls of US quarters and gave them to me for $20 CDN. :ninja: I got there just as she was getting ready to call me. I wished her a happy Mother's Day on my way out. She's looking out for me! ;)

1919 wheatie in Fine i'd say.

Now, here's a conundrum I've come across before: you're collecting coins or note for a fundraiser or a charity. You see an old coin or error note in the bin. If you have that denomination in your own pocket, I think it's fine that you switch it out. BUT if you don't, and you reaaaaaallllly want that coin/note, do you leave it or not?

Or here's what I did tonight. I donated $30+ in change and bills, probably one of the bigger donations of all the ones in the dorm. I came across this 1919 cent and pocketed it. I justified it because I had already donated a ton. BUT since I donated that money with the intent of every cent going to the cause, should I feel bad for pocketing one of those cents?

If that's confusing, i'm sorry. I don't know.

I feel the same way: It's one cent more that would have gone to a good cause.

But that doesn't keep me from seriously considering asking for the keys to the locked donation box.

Received two of the DUTCH 2 Euro 2007 Europa 50 *specials* in change last night in Maastricht (or very early this morning depending on your point of view). These were my second special 07s after the German one a few weeks ago.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Who needs a hug kids

Got a 1944 US wheatie in my change from the cinnamon bun place this afternoon. I swear, I find more wheat cents in general circulation in Canada (been here less than 5 years) than I ever found in the US. (Been there, um, a lot longer.) :ninja:

Today I was at the bank getting into my safe deposit box and there is a coin counting machine in the same room with the boxes in the vault, and sitting by the book where I sign in to the box, there was a coin. At first I thought it was a dime, but I looked closer and it was a 1943 cent! I said to the vault teller, hey, you got a steel cent! She said, yes, do you want it? I said sure and asked if she wanted a penny for it and she said no, since the counting machine rejected it there was nothing for them to do with it so she let me have it! I've never gotten a steel cent in circulation, but this one didn't even cost me a penny!

Today I was at the bank getting into my safe deposit box and there is a coin counting machine in the same room with the boxes in the vault, and sitting by the book where I sign in to the box, there was a coin. At first I thought it was a dime, but I looked closer and it was a 1943 cent! I said to the vault teller, hey, you got a steel cent! She said, yes, do you want it? I said sure and asked if she wanted a penny for it and she said no, since the counting machine rejected it there was nothing for them to do with it so she let me have it! I've never gotten a steel cent in circulation, but this one didn't even cost me a penny!

Very cool!

SIDE NOTE: Used three found-in-change coins for my somethings old, new, and silver "sixpence" : Lincolns 2007 and 1944, then 1946 Dime