CoinPeople.com

Latest Circulation Find

Grifter

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I live in Switzerland, I can't boast of finding Buffalo nickels or IHC in my change ... but any minor denominations minted before 1968 in silver are pretty neat. I picked this one up in my change about four days ago:

Swiss_50_Rappen_1929.jpg

Since I live in Switzerland, I can't boast of finding Buffalo nickels or IHC in my change ... but any minor denominations minted before 1968 in silver are pretty neat. I picked this one up in my change about four days ago:

Swiss_50_Rappen_1929.jpg

Do you ever find any of the older rappen coins in circulation, I thought it was possible to find 19th century stuff in change?

Do you ever find any of the older rappen coins in circulation, I thought it was possible to find 19th century stuff in change?

I've heard that it still happens from time to time ... but I never found anything that old yet. The oldest I have found up to now was 10 rappen 1908, followed by 20 rappen 1919 and 1920. The funny thing was that two of those coins were given in change at the same store (at different times, though)! ;)

All of these coins were in similar condition to the 1929 piece shown (F to good VF). The nicest silver I ever found in my change was 50 rappen of 1967 in AU/UNC, pictures of which I have posted here somewhere before ... I also believe you have seen that one, since I remember that you replied to that message. ;)

Maybe someone seeded the cash register with these coins to get more customers?? This is highly doubtful, though, since being located in an underground thoroughfare at one of the larger train stations here, they probably have all the customers they need! But obviously, at least I, for one, am a repeat customer! ;)

Cheers! :ninja:

1981 A $1 FRN

Oldest note I've ever found besting the 85 $20 I found a few weeks ago, which bested the 93 $1 which I found many many many years ago.