CoinPeople.com

What is your collecting area?

Guest Stujoe

All coins Finnish.

19-20 century Scandinavian and Baltic coins.

Larger silver coins (circulation and commem) from any country.

Started world gold types.

US:

Franklin halves, SAE proofs, Modern BU commems, and just whatever dates sets I can keep up with.

And then any other coins that I find appealing.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like my penny collection has expanded to just about everything. Right now I am trying to round up some commomenoratives. Also I am going to make a framed hanging wall display with larger copper, and silver coins with ships, so trying to find them.

What do I collect?! Anything you are willing to sned me! :ninja:

But, when I have to do all the work - it's Lincolns! I want to get a full set of BUs before the 100 year aniversary in 2009. It's going to cost a mint to get that BU 1909 S VDB! ....and the 1911D... and 1914...and... Can I borrow some money! ;)

A somewhat eclectic approach. Although there are a few sets on the go from here and there, another set is about to be started and it is a set that will take a considerable amount of time, money and above all patience. In a nutshell, 1920s US coins struck at the Philadelphia mint. Rare coins of the period will be omitted. The hope is to have most coins grading EF or better. Expected finish date 2015 sometime.

A somewhat eclectic approach. Although there are a few sets on the go from here and there, another set is about to be started and it is a set that will take a considerable amount of time, money and above all patience. In a nutshell, 1920s US coins struck at the Philadelphia mint. Rare coins of the period will be omitted. The hope is to have most coins grading EF or better. Expected finish date 2015 sometime.

Interesting. Can I ask what is the inspiration for 1920's?

Interesting. Can I ask what is the inspiration for 1920's?

Well it was a time when the US produced some of its most celebrated coinage, the Saints, Walker Halves, Standing Liberty Quarters, Mercury Dimes etc.

It was also somewhat of a 'Golden' period in US history, the Roaring '20s... soon to be shattered by the 1929 Wall Street crash and the Great Depression of the 1930s.

Another reason was because the 1910s was a more expensive era to focus upon.

Mine is mostly 1900 to present US business strike, non-gold coins by date and mint mark. I also have a US type set and a world coin Birth year set.

Oh, and I have a LOT of 'stuff'. ;)

Type coins, 1800-Present.

Filling a Dansco 7070 is my current big project.

Currently have lots of holes.

Foreign mint and proof sets:

- 1950s-1970s mexican mint sets with silver and those lovely 20 centavos coins

- UK minted proof sets from the 1960s/70s. Ceylon (now Sri lanka), India, various

african nations, Bhutan, etc.

- USSR and Russian mint/proof sets

- Pre-Decimal UK/Australia/Ireland/Commonwealth coinage

Currently on hold while I put together the Dansco 7070

Mint and proof sets from 1999 until perpetuity

eventually plan to backfill the prestige sets from the 80s/90s.

Ikes

- Silver and Clad Proof Issues in PCGS PR69 (this is complete)

- Silver and Clad Circ Strikes in PCGS MS60-something, haven't started on these yet.

- Silver Proof Issues in Mint Packaging, with cameo. (1971 and 1972 are complete)

- Silver Circ strikes in Mint Packaging.

Currently I have no plans to go completely nuts with the die varieties. with that in mind, this is an easy set to complete, and I like the Ike. This is the set I'll leave to my children which they'll think is a lot of money and take to the coin dealer and go home very sad because none of what I have is rare.

Things i'm falling in love with and will most likely collect more of or spend a premium to get the best examples possible:

Shield Nickels

Silver 3c

Nickel 2c

Seated liberty coins

Walking Lib halves

Commem. Halves

Ahh, my bank account will be in trouble for some time. :ninja:

Coins from European cities, mainly from the Hanseatic League.

While this won't quite be in your primary collecting area then, it may still be interesting: In February a German €2 coin showing the Holstentor in Lübeck will be issued; later in 2006 a €10 piece dedicated to the 650th anniversary of the Hanseatic League comes out, and in 2007 the €100 gold coin from the Unesco cultural heritage series will feature Lübeck's old town ...

My own collection focuses on 20/21c European coins. I may one day have a complete type/year collection of the issues from my country (Federal Republic of Germany, 1949-) but a few pretty expensive pieces are still missing. Next, euro circulation and commemorative coins (by type only), complete so far. Then I have a collection of US state quarters (type only), complete so far. And, circulation and collector coins from Europe and North America - only what I like and can afford :-)

Christian

Mainly U.S. coins. Currently working on a U.S. type set. Any coins from the Carson City Mint.

Pre 1946 Philippine coins, although this has been on the back burner for the last year.

I'm into a Portuguese type set from 1800 thru 1970, very ambitious project, I know it will take me forever.

And anything else I find cool. Example just picked a proof 50 cent piece from Trinidad (1974) with steel drums on the reverse that just looked nice.

• 2 months later...

Never noticed this thread until it was brought back to the top earlier today.

Like socks and underwear, my collecting habits change daily.

Currently, my primary focus is on UK decimal coinage, especially BRM packaged commemorative coins. Making good headway through the £1, got all of the Nickel-Brass £2 (lots of bi-metallic £2 to go), and most of the £5. Casually picking up an occasional BU Mint set, when I see a good price.

My second main collection is my Yugoslav coins. Am about 90% complete of circulation strikes, still have lots of commems. to go, but my budget doesn't stretch to cover the British above and these Yugo commems, so the Yugos are in a holding pattern right now. Once I get the British closer to complete then we shall see.

Other than that, I have several smaller "sub-collections", some of which I hope to continue with, some I will probably dispose of at some time or another.

I like silver dollars, mostly Morgans. I love my $5 Indian the most...even though it is yellow. hehe

Hey! Yellow is the best color, especially if it's a gold coin! ;) I'm glad to hear you got your Indian! Welcome to the wonderful world of GOLD! (Warning: collecting gold is highly addictive and may cause long-term damage to your wallet! :ninja: )