CoinPeople.com

What is your collecting area?

Guest Stujoe

Napoleonic and French Revolutionary period (1789-1815)

Coins, medals, tokens, jetons, paper money, ephemera and artifacts! :ninja:

I branch outside those dates if the subject is someone who was a "player" during the period.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I collect world coins and banknotes, trading coins over the internet for the past 2 years has increased my collection a lot, now I have almost 3000 coins. Getting everything from everywere is nearly impossible, so I've decided to focus on commemorative euros, bimetallic & silver coins, and the rest just take it when its UNC. :ninja:

I've seen your medals on Omnicoin elverno...

And I'm am amazed at the breadth of your collection Sir Sylvilagus! My medals certainly range from gem to junk, but the vast majority are from my period of interest and that makes them all fascinating to me... :ninja:

I celebrate the spirit of creation. Everything I collect -- except maybe rocks and metereorites -- are artifacts of the highest achievement of the spirit of human reason.

"To trade by means of money is the code of the men of good will. Money rests on the axiom that every man is the owner of his mind and his effort. Money allows no power to prescribe the value of your effort except the voluntary choice of the man who is willing to trade you his effort in return."

http://capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

My numismatic collections include these themes (sometimes overlapping):

Tiimes and towns of famous Greek philosophers; Aviation; Music; Writing -- Poets, Authors, and Printing.

I am a big fan of private issues. Money is created by productive effort, not by government fiat. Some government money is pretty, to be sure, but the true value comes from something else. I have stocks, checks, drafts, scrip, tokens. I have taken a shine to the Central Mining Company of Eagle Harbor, Michigan, for instance.

"Not an ocean of tears not all the guns in the world can transform those pieces of paper in your wallet into the bread you will need to survive tomorrow. Those pieces of paper, which should have been gold, are a token of honor... "

I also have a few pieces of bitter irony, communist money, such as the large silver Roubles of 1922 with the proletarian showing the farmer the glorious new sunrise. The communists promissed a world without money. They might as well have promised a world without gravity.

In short, my collecting area is "applied philosophy."

• 3 months later...
Constantly changing.  Now I'm done with my type set, I've chosen another new path.  World Mint/Proof sets from 1974 and 1992.  We'll see how that goes.  I have 1 so far.  :ninja:

Finland should not be too difficult ;) : only Mint sets were issued in those years, and they are not extremely pricey.

I used to collect US type, overdates, etc. Slabs drove me out of the area. German, Frankfurt a real interest, but I specialized in Hitler medals and wrote book about them. Norwegian coinage next, a divorce drove me out of collecting for awhile.

Interest in one of my rare Hitler medals rekindled my collecting interests and now I specialize in Celtic Gaul, Roman Gaul, Merovingian, Carolingian, and feudal France.

I've also maintain a growing collection of aluminum coins, medals, and tokens. I can always find something when money is tight, although my tastes have turned to more expensive pieces as my collecting budget has expanded.

• 11 months later...

I like both coins and banknotes from all over the world. The areas that I am collecting in now are bimetallic coins and polymer banknotes.

Usually, when I buy coins or banknotes, I dont worry about the country that they are from, I just go with what I think looks nice.... :ninja:

As a man of methods and efficiency: date and mint collection by series.

In coins:

-My Peace collection is nearly complete save for some high quality keys.

-My MS/PF65+ Walker collection is in its early stages. It takes a few hundred dollars just to add each coin. This is a series I persue when the other series are slowed down.

-I recently began an interest in a better grade (but still affordable) Barber dime series as well as the same in V nicks.

-Completing as much of my whitman albums from circulation is a goal.

In notes:

-My $1 silver certificate has covered a lot of ground. The series involves: 1923-1957, all signatures, all letters (A,B,C,D...), all design modifications, all experimentals, all seals, all stars, and anything else you can find in the Black Book. The only notes of the 50+ note series I need are some very hard to find ones easily in the $500+ range in an acceptable condition. Silver certificates mean a lot to me because I was with my father when he found one in change a couple years back, he told me what they were, and I thought of them as an exciting, affordable series with its own challenging notes to persue. I will add to this collection by going to earlier years and other denominations. Mark my words, by the time I am 30, I hope to have one of the nicest and most complete silver certificate collections ever. It's possible.

-I will start another series of US notes once I figure out which is worth my time and money (both very valuable and scarce to me). Any suggestions?

Thats about it. Nothing too exciting. You asked, so I told.

• 3 years later...
As a man of methods and efficiency: date and mint collection by series.

In coins:

-My Peace collection is nearly complete save for some high quality keys.

-My MS/PF65+ Walker collection is in its early stages. It takes a few hundred dollars just to add each coin. This is a series I persue when the other series are slowed down.

-I recently began an interest in a better grade (but still affordable) Barber dime series as well as the same in V nicks.

-Completing as much of my whitman albums from circulation is a goal.

In notes:

-My $1 silver certificate has covered a lot of ground. The series involves: 1923-1957, all signatures, all letters (A,B,C,D...), all design modifications, all experimentals, all seals, all stars, and anything else you can find in the Black Book. The only notes of the 50+ note series I need are some very hard to find ones easily in the $500+ range in an acceptable condition. Silver certificates mean a lot to me because I was with my father when he found one in change a couple years back, he told me what they were, and I thought of them as an exciting, affordable series with its own challenging notes to persue. I will add to this collection by going to earlier years and other denominations. Mark my words, by the time I am 30, I hope to have one of the nicest and most complete silver certificate collections ever. It's possible.

-I will start another series of US notes once I figure out which is worth my time and money (both very valuable and scarce to me). Any suggestions?

Thats about it. Nothing too exciting. You asked, so I told.

Nothing's changed but once or twice a year I add a note or coin to a type set.

English hammered, mainly the period from 750 to 1400 but I do collect a little bit of the earlier pieces and a lot of the later.

Otherwise, any foreign hammered that takes my fancy, such as the Irish examples of Edward I as well as a few milled coins that catch my eye. :ninja:

Russian banknotes covering 1898 to 1991 (Imperial era and the whole span of the Soviet Union)

Imperial Russian coins (all periods, I like to get a sample from each Czar, but most of my collection is Nicholas II)

Soviet 50 Kopek and 1 Ruble coins 1921-1991

Banknotes issued by Nazi Germany (1939-1945, and any issued in occupied territories like Ukraine in that time frame)

Trying not to develop an interest in other ones for my own sake :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I collect quite a few things. Projects I'm currently working on are a U.S. type set in a Dansco 7070 including gold and a set of German silver 2 and 5 Reichsmarks with the Swastika reverse. I'm also contemplating a 20th Century Ottoman Empire type set including gold if I can figure out a good way to house it as no one makes an album for such a thing. I've completed sets of Anthony dollars, Eisenhower dollars and a U.S. dollar date set from 1878 to 1999. I also have a partial set of Mexican silver Libertads that I started but I'm not sure if I'll pick that back up......modern silver bullion has lost some of its allure for me.

british farthings (nearly have one from every monarch since charles I i think i'm just missing william III)

british pennies 1860-1967 (focusing more on the scarcer types on the cheap)

french coins

russian coins

anything i can pick up on the cheap. most valuable collectino so far is my french thanks to only 2 coins :/

I'm also contemplating a 20th Century Ottoman Empire type set including gold if I can figure out a good way to house it as no one makes an album for such a thing.

Interesting. I dont thnk anyone here collects that.

I'm also contemplating a 20th Century Ottoman Empire type set including gold if I can figure out a good way to house it as no one makes an album for such a thing.

Nothing I collect has albums made for it, so I make do with coin capsules and cabinets. It works perfectly me and, hopefully, will do the same for you. Here are a few photographs:

Capsule1.jpg

Capsule2.jpg

They're easy to open and close.

Capsule3.jpg