CoinPeople.com

What are folks working on?

syzygy

I was wondering what collecting projects folks were working on....

My current project (if I have to pick one) is this:

US Quarter Dollar Type Set

Draped Bust, small eagle (1796) (definite lottery coin)

Draped Bust, heraldic eagle (1804-1807)

Capped Bust, large (1815-1828) *

Capped Bust, reduced (1831-1838) *

Liberty Seated, no motto, no arrows (1838-1853, 1856-1865)

Liberty Seated, arrows and rays (1853) *

Liberty Seated, arrows (1854-1855)

Liberty Seated, motto, no arrows (1866-1873, 1875-1891) *

Liberty Seated, motto, arrows (1873-1874)

Liberty Head (Barber) (1892-1916) *

Standing Liberty, no stars (1916-1917)

Standing Liberty, stars (1917-1930) *

Washington, silver (1932-1964) *

Washington, clad (1965-1974, 1977-1998) *

Washington, bicentennial (1976) *

Washington, State reverse (1999-2008) *

* = have

So what are you folks working on?

Guest Stujoe

I am plugging away at teh usual collections. The Type Set has been getting my attention lately.

There is a small show here tomorrow that I am going to try to get to. We will see what catches my eye. :ninja:

Still playin' with the Victoria Type Set, but I will start another US type set next year. Maybe add some to the George IV type set, too.

But first, I need a laptop, cellphone, digital SLR, photo light setup, photo quality printer, etc., etc., etc.

US Cents(1900-present all mintmarks) and Nickels(just 1900-present).

Depression Set, all US coins minted 1929-1939.

Good luck on the gold coins for that depression set! That is a very neat idea though.

I don't seem to be working on anything lately, or maybe I'm just not getting anything done on my sets. Hmmm...

QUOTE(Grifter @ Oct 8 2005, 09:56 PM)

US Cents(1900-present all mintmarks) and Nickels(just 1900-present).

Depression Set, all US coins minted 1929-1939.

Good luck on the gold coins for that depression set! That is a very neat idea though.

I don't seem to be working on anything lately, or maybe I'm just not getting anything done on my sets. Hmmm...

Yea, it's more like a lifetime project, because some of those gold coins are a little pricey...

Oh boy...

US:

Lincolns 1909 - Present w/Proofs

Jeffersons to Present w/Proofs

Roosevelts to present w/Proofs

Washers 1932 to 1999 w/Proofs

SQ's 1999 to present w/Proofs & Silver

Kennedy Halves to present w/Proofs

Ikes to present w/Proofs

SBA's to present w/Proofs

Morgans 1879 - 1889

Peace Dollars full set

US Commemoratives

German, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Hungarian, Czechoslovakian Commemoratives.

And whatever else I feel like.

Hi all!

Well, still working on my Silver Eagle set. Will take me another year to complete.

Kennedy Halves with proofs - just starting.

Unopened proof sets in OGP - I have 11 years, will take me a loooong time to complete (if ever).

Mint sets.

SBA's with proofs.

US Commemoratives.

:ninja:

A few things (most on hold due to financial commitments elsewhere).

1) English Anglo-Saxon two line type pennies by monarch 899-975 (only three more kings to get!)

2) Henry VI 1422 silver type set groat-farthing (three denominations to get).

3) 1780s European monarchs set... ongoing.

4) German A-Mint 5 reichpfennigs in UNC 1937-1944

5) Any Louis XVI silver that catches my eye.

6) Some type of US Bust dime set, haven't figured out how to organise that one yet.

7) Roman denarii by major deities.

8) English Edward I (1272-1307) pennies by eye appeal.

9) Other English hammered coins by eye appeal.

I am impressed by the diversity and breadth of the collecting projects. Brings to mind the idea of maintaining focus and losing interest.

Although I mentioned a specific type set, I, of course have a bunch of other collecting projects....they seem to be in various stages - has anybody else noticed the same?

For example, I have long admired off-center errors and initially just started accumulating them. At some point I decided that I needed to have some sort of a collection in contrast to an accumulation. Interestingly, the point arrived when I had learned enough to start to guage availability, market pricing, and rarity.

First attempt was a single year off-center set of types - cent, nickel, dime, quarter, half, dollar. The half and dollar are the expensive ones. Then, I loosened up to a simple type set. Still the half and dollar (several choices now) were a bit touchy. Additionally, it was be a small collection and I wanted more.

Finally, I settled on a memorial cent P-mint collection. It came along real well, except now I am stuck on 8 dates (and I have been very liberal in what I am calling off-center). Along with this multi-year effort was a pretty large increase in interest in off-center errors. I just don't see these dates around (59,60,61,62,63,69,04,05). So the collection has stagnated for many months, I am still collecting them, but there is not much I can do. Worse, I lose vigilance in looking for them - missed a 69-d (considered just filling the holes with the year) auction recently because I just forgot about it.

Another example is my dollar type set - I am stuck on the Seated variety. It is available, but it is a major purchase with respect to my comfort level, so it is going to take a while.

I guess what I am getting at are the collecting concepts of patience, focus, pure enjoyment and enthusiasm. On one extreme, some can wait for years for just the right piece. On the other extreme, some get very excited and want to complete a set quickly or lose interest. I am somewhere in between.

I like my current project of US quarters because I know that they are available and the set will be able to progress but I can still take my time and be particular.

Working on:

1. U.S. type set

2. Portuguese type set

3. The possible downgrading of my Carson City Morgan set. Possibly selling of my mint state CC's and getting all AU 58's. AU are always nice looking and would free up a lot of $$$$

About the only thing I'm doing in US material at the moment are early date large cents by variety. The ones I'm really serious about are the draped busts but I've picked up other early date varieties over the years as well. I've about reached an end though. I have about 257 varieties and I only lack 8 varieties of being complete from 1795 to 1814 and four of those I will most likely never get.

I also callect English Conder tokens. In these I only collect the vareties that were actually intended to be used as circulating coinage. There are some 650 varieties and I have about 450 of them.

Archived