Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

See - your note is from a Japanese Puppet Bank set up in China during WWII. Your note is P J137 issued in 1944, and it has a similar cousin (with a different back) which is P J132. The Emperor depicted on teh front is Emperor Ch'ien Lung, the longest reigning emperor in China: Wikipedia Link

Nice note! I haven't seen many from this series.

See - your note is from a Japanese Puppet Bank set up in China during WWII. Your note is P J137 issued in 1944, and it has a similar cousin (with a different back) which is P J132. The Emperor depicted on teh front is Emperor Ch'ien Lung, the longest reigning emperor in China: Wikipedia Link

Nice note! I haven't seen many from this series.

Thanks Dave.

I am sorry, but the portrait of the Manchukuo note shows the god of fortune, 趙公明 = Zhao Gong Ming.

In the book "AN ILLUSTRATED CATALOGUE OF THE FINANCE AND CURRENCIES OF THE PUPPET REGHIMES IN CHINA UNDER THE JAPANESE - MANCHUKUO VOLUME" (Chinese and English) by Wong Hon Sum all these notes and their history are described in detail.

Other portraits are of Confucius and Mencius.

Erwin

P.S.: I know that in the Standard Catalog of World Paper Money it is said, that "Ch'ien Lung' is pictured on the note, a remark that was taken from Fred Schwan's and Joe Boling's famous book "World War II Remembered", but it is wrong...

Wonderful notes everyone. You certainly can create a "thirst" for some new world notes for my collection.

I am sorry, but the portrait of the Manchukuo note shows the god of fortune, 趙公明 = Zhao Gong Ming.

In the book "AN ILLUSTRATED CATALOGUE OF THE FINANCE AND CURRENCIES OF THE PUPPET REGHIMES IN CHINA UNDER THE JAPANESE - MANCHUKUO VOLUME" (Chinese and English) by Wong Hon Sum all these notes and their history are described in detail.

Other portraits are of Confucius and Mencius.

Erwin

P.S.: I know that in the Standard Catalog of World Paper Money it is said, that "Ch'ien Lung' is pictured on the note, a remark that was taken from Fred Schwan's and Joe Boling's famous book "World War II Remembered", but it is wrong...

I think I will get the book written by Mr. Wong who is NSA chairman ( I joined as NSA life member two to three months ago ). I didn't know it was also written in English as well. Thanks chinnotes. :ninja:

I think I will get the book written by Mr. Wong who is NSA chairman ( I joined as NSA life member two to three months ago ). I didn't know it was also written in English as well. Thanks chinnotes. :ninja:

Perhaps I shoudl get that one too! I did use the SCWPM to make that dertermination. While I did notice that there was a slight difference in the appearance of the one now known as Zhao Gong Ming and the paintings I've seen of Ch'ien Lung, I attributed it to their being from sifferent stages in life and the artistic licensing granted to ancient persons.

Curiously, I've just learned that there is an older series of African banknotes which has an ongoing dispute over whether the painting was of the correct person! Ah, synchronicity - Gotta' love it!

Thanks for clearing that up Chinnotes. Have you emailed G. Cuhaj about that change in their catalogs? Mine is a couple of years old, so I do not know if it's been updated or not.

These lions have no individual names.

Originally the entrance of the main Building of the Hongkoang and Shanghai Bank had two bronze lions, they were cast in 1935 and were very famous. One of them is now in the Shanghai Museum of History (I have seen it).

In the same year (1935) two similar lions were cast and brought to Hongkong, they were placed at the entrance of the main Building of the bank in Hongkong. During world war II these bronze lions were taken to Japan for melting down. But they were detected unharmed after the war and brought back to Hongkong. They can now be seen near the entrance of the main building. One of these two lions still has traces of bullets from world war II…

Erwin

I came accross these articles on Wikipedia. There were two pair. One of the sets according to the articles are named: Stephen and Stitt. You would have thought that someone out there would have named the other set.