Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is one of those wildly popular amongst world banknote collectors notes. Great artistry coupled with wonderful printing and dramatic imagery combine to mystify one with the intriguing subjects here. Curiously though, while this note is popular, and relatively common despite it's now advanced age; it is quite difficult to find a truly uncirculated one as these notes saw heavy usage right up until the German inflationary period of 1920-1924.

germany5mark1904.jpg

The front of the note has a lovely vignette of "Germania" with a toddler who is launching a dove with an olive branch overlooking the Baltic Sea, not exactly the imagery you would expect in the Prussian dominated Germany of the era. The most dramatic and evocative image on the note is on the reverse however. This dragon, with his smoking snort guarding a reliquary is just fantastic and is what makes this note so popular.

Given that I wanted the note in the best condition possible, it pretty much predicated a long delay in purchasing one. This note is the scarcer six digit serial variety that was printed before WWI, the notes with seven digits were printed after the war and in much greater quantities.

estonia10kr2008.jpg

This note is a commemorative note issued by Estonia to mark the 90th anniversary of Estonia first declaring independence from Russia in 1918. There is much more symbolism in this note than the texts will attest to though. The 10 krooni note was the last banknote issued by the independent state of Estonia before the USSR overran the country again in 1940. Curiously a few years ago in the old treasury building the plates for the 1940 issue were uncovered by a worker doing some restoration on the building, they were found under some cabinets where they remained stashed for over 50 years. Because they could use these original plates as a basis for doing a commemorative note - Eesti Pank decided to incorporate the elements of the old 10 krooni note on this commemorative issue. While the front of the note is the old design from the first Estonian Republic, the reverse represents the current design of the 10 krooni note now in circulation - however the earlier note was a larger note and so this one is in the earlier dimensions.

I just got this Congo 50 Francs 1962. I have been waiting patiently for one that falls into my price range. It appears to be uncirculated, but with my luck .... I am still checking to see if it is real.

927688A.jpg

927688B.jpg

I just got this Congo 50 Francs 1962. I have been waiting patiently for one that falls into my price range. It appears to be uncirculated, but with my luck .... I am still checking to see if it is real.

927688_a.jpg

927688_b.jpg

Very Nice! Congrats! I've been waiting too, but I might just have to get it anyway. Post a nice scan when you get it!

Well, I got these all the way from Kathmandu today. I was alarmed at seeing the famous Green Inspection tape from Customs as it was sent Registered Mail, and I was thinking that there be some handling of the individual notes. THere wasn't. It just feels weird to know that someone has gonge through your mail though. I wouldn't care if it was junkmail, but whatever. Anyway, they have a good home now.

35bxeuc.jpg

Well, I got these all the way from Kathmandu today. I was alarmed at seeing the famous Green Inspection tape from Customs as it was sent Registered Mail, and I was thinking that there be some handling of the individual notes. THere wasn't. It just feels weird to know that someone has gonge through your mail though. I wouldn't care if it was junkmail, but whatever. Anyway, they have a good home now.

Very nice set Dave, I'd have certainly been worried if I had seen the inspection tape as well. I guess they couldn't figure out the country and said "eh, whatever, it's probably worth like $0.14." :ninja: