Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had to "quote" JT's post and cut and paste the URL of the image to be able to see it, and then afterwards it appeared just fine. But the host where he is posting from seems to have some block on viewing the image from other sites.

Nice note and SN# See323. Lot of dosh in one bill too, I wonder why there in Singapore and in Brunei there is a need for such large denomination notes, even $10K notes at least in Brunei?

Traditionally, under the Straits Settlements, Malayan and British Borneo , they already have such huge denomination notes. These notes were only used between banks and large corporations. A lot of these notes have pinholes on them as they usually pin them together with the settlement documents. I think the traditional have been carried down until today except for Malaysia ( If I remember correctly ). I think it is a useful note especially for coins and banknote dealers when they visit coin and banknote convention. Just pay on the spot cash ( I think dealers loved CASH transaction). No need to worry whether they will received a bounced cheque. :ninja:

Traditionally, under the Straits Settlements, Malayan and British Borneo , they already have such huge denomination notes. These notes were only used between banks and large corporations. A lot of these notes have pinholes on them as they usually pin them together with the settlement documents. I think the traditional have been carried down until today except for Malaysia ( If I remember correctly ). I think it is a useful note especially for coins and banknote dealers when they visit coin and banknote convention. Just pay on the spot cash ( I think dealers loved CASH transaction). No need to worry whether they will received a bounced cheque. :ninja:

Does make for nice collectable conversation pieces if you can want to have that $10000 from Brunei on it. I wonder that the Sultan has most of them in his personal collection?

ukraine2001942dtl.jpg

This note has a stirringly mysterious vignette of a peasant with bundled sheaves of wheat in the background, rather haunting and ironic in effect. In reality the Germans managed to pillage most of the grain grown in Ukraine during their occupation and very little actually went to the local population.

ukraine2001942.jpg

When the Germans overran Ukraine they imposed a whole new monetary system on the country, the USSR rubles were removed from circulation at a rate of 1:1 vs the karbovnets denominated currency that they issued. The karbovnets was valued at 10:1 to the German Reichsmark. Curiously, but tellingly the Germans issued this currency with only a small amount of Ukrainian langauge text - on the bottom reverse of the note - in effect letting the Ukrainians know where they stood in the situation. The first notes prepared had all of the text in Ukrainian, but they were rejected by the German run "Central Emission Bank". One wonders why they even bothered denominating the currency in a name familiar to Ukrainians, they might just as well as referred to the new currency as marks given the presence of mostly German language on the notes.

ukraine2001942dtl.jpg

This note has a stirringly mysterious vignette of a peasant with bundled sheaves of wheat in the background, rather haunting and ironic in effect. In reality the Germans managed to pillage most of the grain grown in Ukraine during their occupation and very little actually went to the local population.

ukraine2001942.jpg

When the Germans overran Ukraine they imposed a whole new monetary system on the country, the USSR rubles were removed from circulation at a rate of 1:1 vs the karbovnets denominated currency that they issued. The karbovnets was valued at 10:1 to the German Reichsmark. Curiously, but tellingly the Germans issued this currency with only a small amount of Ukrainian langauge text - on the bottom reverse of the note - in effect letting the Ukrainians know where they stood in the situation. The first notes prepared had all of the text in Ukrainian, but they were rejected by the German run "Central Emission Bank". One wonders why they even bothered denominating the currency in a name familiar to Ukrainians, they might just as well as referred to the new currency as marks given the presence of mostly German language on the notes.

Coincidentally, I just got a 200 Karbowanez note about a week ago. Thanks for the background info, I did notice right when I got it that it had a very weird feeling to it, with a picture of a Ukrainian peasant woman surrounded by German text, even the note reflects an occupation.

mexicobanconacional501912dtl2.jpg

mexicobanconacional501912.jpg

mexicobanconacional501912dtl1.jpg

The first vignette on the left of the note is rather famous in Mexican banknote collecting annals, La Siesta is the title of this work that graced the $50 denomination for this bank. High grade, issued, banknotes from this era of Mexico are difficult to find as they were called in and redeemed when Banco de Mexico became the sole issuer of paper money in the 1920's. As with most Mexican banknotes this note portrays lovely colouring coupled with deeply embossed engravings - in this case proprietary images to Banco Nacional. The lady on the right of the note appeared on all denominations from this bank.

Arriving this afternoon was this rather hard to get (in a decent grade) 10 Franc note from French West Africa. It's smaller than I had expected, 3-7/8 inchesX2-3/8 inches (9.7x6cm) but it is the best grade I have ever seen.... and less than half price of one in a full grade below, so I'm pretty happy all around. Plus it's a nice solid serial number - even if it is that bad ol'e 666 - so I suppose that might be an added plus. Now I'm on the search for an AUNC to UNC 100 Franc note..... hard to find in that condition, though.

zt893o.jpg

This is a nice looking note, i will have to do some digging around it would make a nice addition to my collection.

ukraine2001942dtl.jpg

ukraine2001942.jpg

Arriving this afternoon was this rather hard to get (in a decent grade) 10 Franc note from French West Africa. It's smaller than I had expected, 3-7/8 inchesX2-3/8 inches (9.7x6cm) but it is the best grade I have ever seen.... and less than half price of one in a full grade below, so I'm pretty happy all around. Plus it's a nice solid serial number - even if it is that bad ol'e 666 - so I suppose that might be an added plus. Now I'm on the search for an AUNC to UNC 100 Franc note..... hard to find in that condition, though.

zt893o.jpg

An amazing note, and no small challenge to find such a nice example of as I am finding with African notes. One unfortunate thing I have noticed with several of the French West Africa and Belgian Congo notes is that you can identify characterisations on the notes, particularly beginning in the 1930's and through the 1950's that would cause an uproar these days. That fact alone makes these highly collectable as testaments to a brutal colonial era.

zt893o.jpg

Wow...Dave...I love it. Beautiful note and beautiful solid 666. Congrats on your good find. My French and French printed notes 333, 030 and 005 should be on the way. Also waiting for 1975 HK HSBC solid 555555 on a $5. Pretty scarce solid.

Straits Settlements 1930 $1 Fancy Number Repeater 27272

This is my worst condition note in my Straits Settlements Collection but it is also the nicest serial number among all the SS notes.

Extremely difficult to find nice fancy numbers such as repeater, radar, solids for any Straits Settlements notes.

Nobody collect fancy numbers during the early days in this region.

StraitsSettlements1930127272-F-1000.jpg