Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nepal 2004, 5 Rupees, Signature 15, Prefix Cha 41, Solid Serial Number 888888.

Nepal20045Rupees888888-F-1000.jpg

Nepal20045Rupees888888-B-1000.jpg

Interesting, there is one yak on the front and two on the back. At least the two on the back still may rule their range, canna say the same for the yak on the front.

I was at the Baltimore spring convention last week. I remembered how difficult it is to look for key $1 silver certificates at a convention. The series is pretty common and sits on the bottom of big piles of notes. But the key notes aren't in most dealer inventories and, at the same time, aren't expensive enough to be feature notes. Oftentimes, dealers just bundle their notes in thick stacks. Sometimes they're ordered and I can point to a stack and pray a note I need is in there. Sadly, I ended up walking past many tables of notes. The disorder was intimidating, or the dealers didn't seem knowledgeable. Really, how should they know if they have a FR 1617* among their piles of notes?

I could only find two of the half-dozen or so notes I needed. Usually, I can find a few of each, but instead I found several good examples of only these two notes. All were in or near UNC. That meant I couldn't take a FR 239 home.

Instead, I brought home this:

926512A.jpg

926512B.jpg

1935 G $1 silver certificate (good for one dollar of silver when redeemed) - STAR note (replacement for error notes) - signatures of Smith and Dillon - with motto variety (has In God We Trust on reverse) - Friedberg # 1617*, 1,080,000 star notes printed. Certified Ch. Unc. 64 EPQ by PMG.

It's not one of the keys in the series, but I needed it. I got it at a good price from a dealer I've dealt with for several years at the show. It's easy to be remembered because there are not a lot of folks my age on the floor. He's always had trouble with me because his notes were always out of my price range, despite his amazing selection.

Anyway, I'll keep going to him in the future. He's been supportive and helpful.

I got this the other day. I like the note and have absolutely nothing in my collection that is certified, note-wise that is. So now I have one. Not sure that I'll add another but I might get a few different notes from different TPGs. I like my mini-collection of coin slabs so why not.

4438882259_c17f623889.jpg

My last banknote: Belgian Congo 5 francs 1943

congo2.jpgcongo1.jpg

I was captivated by the beautiful engraving designs of Belgian Congo banknotes during this period. I especially like the 20 francs with 6 or 7 natives standing and rowing their traditional boat. I had a similar 1943 5 francs in my collection.

19435FrancsBelgianCongo-Front800.jpg

19435FrancsBelgianCongo-Back800.jpg

Is that a bee hive?

My first thought too was also a bee hive.

According to Scottishmoney website, it is a represented industry.

In the great race for African colonies in the late 19th century the comparetively small country of Belgium managed to secure one of the prizes of central Africa, the Congo. Incredibly the colony was the personal possession of the Belgian monarch, but was grossly mismanaged, and control was turned over to the Belgian state in 1908. Despite this, native Congolese were accorded very few rights, and suffered a very similar form of apartheid to that which existed in South Africa. International agitation combined with internal strife through independence movements culminated in the independence of Congo in 1960.

The design of this note dates to 1914, albeit the colours of the note changed over time, even in short periods of time. This particular note was issued in 1943, and was printed in England by Waterlow & Sons. The allegorical female with child and the beehive are said to have represented industry. This note was overprinted with Troisieme Emission for the third issue of this note. Curiously, as in Belgium, this note is bilingual with French on the face of the note, and Flemish on the reverse. It is P-13Aa.

It took me a while to pull the trigger on the higher price for a 1928 $1 United States Note. THese red seal legal tenders evidently had only 2 million o fthem printed, which is why the price is so high, and interestingly were mostly issued in Puerto Rico. But even though I waited it wasn't in vain - I got this on in the mail today: graded PCGS 63 PPQ and with a low serial number to boot! I'm pretty happy with it. :ninja:

1433ldw.jpg