CoinPeople.com

Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

Super notes. How do you get the isolated images of some of the vignettes? I'd love to learn how to do that. I can cut & paste. But when I increase the size of the image it gets freaky looking.

Art, I scan them at a high resolution, usually 600dpi for banknotes which gives you a very large image with great detail. Then with the note images I just reduce the size of the images to approx. 800 pixels wide for easy viewing. The vignettes I cut out at the scanned image size and do no reductions on them.

You can reduce the image size with not much loss of detail, but the other way around only stretches the pixels and blurs the image.

Curiously I have found a few banknotes, notably early Dutch banknotes are scanner resistant - and can only be imaged at even higher resolutions because of the patterns in the design:

netherlands101942.jpg

If you can this one at lower, ie the 150 or 300dpi, you will get a phenomenon called moiring , where you get moire patterns all over the note. Some bright Dutchmen in Joh Enschede en Zonen was way ahead of his time with these patterns on the note that made re-imaging so difficult - quite an accomplishment for a 1920's technology that was used up through the 1950's on Dutch notes.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bison2-sm.png

Image from ANA Museum - Beebe Collection

I'm going to do a writeup on this vignette for a presentation in April on another site. I don't have the note but it got me thinking about how I could capture this type of image for some of the notes that I do have.

By the way the ANA Museum is open to members and non-members alike and the presentation of the Beebe collection is superb.

Yes, back then most banknotes were uniface.

I'm curious of this notes origins. The note is in guldens...but the inscriptions are Austrian/German. I can make out some of the inscription but overall I can't really decipher why this note existed. Care to clear up my fog? :ninja:

I'm curious of this notes origins. The note is in guldens...but the inscriptions are Austrian/German. I can make out some of the inscription but overall I can't really decipher why this note existed. Care to clear up my fog? :ninja:

It is printed by the Austrian Empire in 1858. an older date- 1848- it is also known.

They were printed as replacement for guldens, a 12 g. silver coins. In 1866 a new type was printed and these notes were replaced. Officially, the last pieces were redrawn in 1892.

It is printed by the Austrian Empire in 1858. an older date- 1848- it is also known.

They were printed as replacement for guldens, a 12 g. silver coins. In 1866 a new type was printed and these notes were replaced. Officially, the last pieces were redrawn in 1892.

Thanks for that info Siluska. Do you know the reason that Austria needed a replacement note for the Gulden? Or was Gulden just a denomination name that did not pertain to a certain region and only a certain measurement of metal? I ask because I do not recall seeing any Austrian coins denoted in Guldens before.

Thanks for that info Siluska. Do you know the reason that Austria needed a replacement note for the Gulden? Or was Gulden just a denomination name that did not pertain to a certain region and only a certain measurement of metal? I ask because I do not recall seeing any Austrian coins denoted in Guldens before.

Silver shortage. Officially, the bank exchanged this notes for silver currency. But if all the notes sere to be changed, it was imposible. only 40-60 % were covered.

The state authorized the bank to print this notes as a waranty for of a loan given by the bank, to the state, in silver and gold. And the state accepted the notes at face value, same as the coins.

Silver shortage. Officially, the bank exchanged this notes for silver currency. But if all the notes sere to be changed, it was imposible. only 40-60 % were covered.

The state authorized the bank to print this notes as a waranty for of a loan given by the bank, to the state, in silver and gold. And the state accepted the notes at face value, same as the coins.

Sounds very similar to the issues in the US with the all the obsolete banknotes from around the same time period. Only a certain percentage could ever really be redeemed for specie so the banks would go bankrupt if there was a run on the "loans". Thanks for the info agian. :ninja:

Why is it Banks are ok playing the game of issuing fractional reserve currency, but if I get caught kiting checks I go to prison???

Because you're not government sponsored Jeff. :ninja:

At first, the fella on the obverse of the 500 franc looked like a dead body. Upon second glance, I realized I was wrong. Upon further glances, I still think he looks more like a dead body than a person...

One of those notes that when I saw the amazing symbolism in it, combined with the feminine vignette, I knew I could not live without it.

mobilealabama3dtl.jpg

This note was issued in the postbellum southern city of Mobile Alabama. These notes were first issued as early as the summer of 1865, obviously by a reconstructionist government that was probably pro-Union in sentiment. But the vignette is very memorable for the symbolism of the "Union" with her flag greeting the South, with their swords cast to their feet - an obvious allusion to the just ended conflict that tore the nation apart.

But as you will see with the rest of the note, old times are not forgotten:

mobile31875.jpg

mobile31875dtl.jpg

Notice the centre vignette with the now sharecroppers, apparently gathering sugar cane? I love the denomination of the note, the $3, the symbolism of the North and South embracing, but coupled with the other vignettes that are so descriptive of the postbellum Southern dilemmas. This note was one of those that of course skirted the legislation of 1863 that forbid the issuance of banknotes without the obligatory tax payment. Of course this was common in the south right after the cessation of hostilities, but notes after 1870 got pretty scarce.

Edited to add in "sharecropper" vignette

One of those notes that when I saw the amazing symbolism in it, combined with the feminine vignette, I knew I could not live without it. ...

Why, I do believe that that there note has go to be one of my favorite obsolete banknotes I've ever seen. And I don't think I've ever seen an obsolete issued by a city before either. I like the was teh reverse states "City of Mobile" -simple, prominent and attractive. But that front with all the symbolism - Very much a 'gotta have it' note, and one to snap up. Congrats!

:ninja: