Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Straits Settlements 1930 $1 Fancy Number Repeater 27272

This is my worst condition note in my Straits Settlements Collection but it is also the nicest serial number among all the SS notes.

Extremely difficult to find nice fancy numbers such as repeater, radar, solids for any Straits Settlements notes.

Nobody collect fancy numbers during the early days in this region.

StraitsSettlements1930127272-F-1000.jpg

Tres bonne Monsieur, cette belle! I love red, and early De La Rue notes.

926225A.jpg

didnt know there were different notes (well now i know)

first paper

second polymer?

:ninja:

Yes, first is paper P-178 signed by Donald Brash and the second is polymer P-186b, signed by Allan Ballard. There is suppose to be a polymer version signed by Brash, but I have not seen one. Very nice banknote.

i would like also these :

914762A.jpg

914762B.jpg

902975A.jpg

902975B.jpg

but they are out of discussion for many months ;)

Sorry, did not get what you meant. ;);)

I too have both the 1 and 5 pounds for this series but with solid serials. :ninja:

switzerland20dtl.jpg

switzerland20.jpg

the design of this banknote was done by the printer, Orell Fussli, a firm founded in 1519 by Christoph Froschauer. The feminine vignette is known as Helvetia and her image is borrowed from the gold 20 CHF coin. This design caused a bit of a stir when it was released, because well, Helvetia is rather voluptuous and healthy. This banknote represents some of the finest of printing technology available in the 1920's by a printer that is still one of the leaders in secure banknote printing today.

switzerland20auhelvetia.jpg

The significance of the B&W note is that it represents one of the last "souvenirs" from this printer, and their usual exquisite work. The Harrison's note is fantastic, being an admirer of Isambard Kingdom Brunel is a definite plus, he was a fantastic road and marine entrepreneur - the likes of which stands at the apex of amazing 19th century British industrialists, and worthy of a circulating medium beyond a commemorative - and more the likes of a circulating medium.

The significance of the B&W note is that it represents one of the last "souvenirs" from this printer, and their usual exquisite work. The Harrison's note is fantastic, being an admirer of Isambard Kingdom Brunel is a definite plus, he was a fantastic road and marine entrepreneur - the likes of which stands at the apex of amazing 19th century British industrialists, and worthy of a circulating medium beyond a commemorative - and more the likes of a circulating medium.

Saor Alba - Thanks for the information. :ninja:

Hong Kong HSBC 1975 $5 Solid 555555. 1975 is the last issued year for this old style HSBC series. A difficult solid to acquire as there are not many solid number collectors during that time. Uncirculated with one counting mark, one light yellow spot and one brown stain ( seems like a brown ink stain used to print the design ). Bought this to match my HK HSBC 1966 $10 solid 555555 note from the same series. Enjoy the pictures.

HongKongHSBC19755555555-F-1000.jpg

HongKongHSBC19755555555-B-1000.jpg

909017A.jpg

Interesting notes. Is the HongKong and Shanghai a private bank or a "government" bank?

HSBC is a private bank. It is one of the largest bank in the world. It has it's presence in every country. In Hong Kong, there are three private bank that issue HK banknotes. Bank of China (BOC), Chartered Bank and HSBC. In addition, the Hong Kong government (SAR) also issue HK banknotes. Currently, the HK government only issued the $10 notes. It can be quite confusing for HK people who have four different design of banknotes of $10 note. But I think they are used to the so many types of HK banknotes being circulated. It used to have another private bank - Merchantile Bank, issuing HK banknotes. I am not sure what happen to the bank.

Mercantile Bank was a much smaller bank, and had far fewer banknotes in circulation - which is regrettable for collectors - because they are wonderfully designed and in deep deep red:

hongkongmercantile1001974dtl.jpg

hongkongmercantile1001974.jpg

Notes were last issued dated 1974, the bank was sold to Citibank in 1984 and the name disappeared. Subsequently the assets of the bank were sold to Bank of Tokyo - Mitsubishi in 1987 and the bank completely disappeared.

Mercantile Bank was a much smaller bank, and had far fewer banknotes in circulation - which is regrettable for collectors - because they are wonderfully designed and in deep deep red:

hongkongmercantile1001974dtl.jpg

hongkongmercantile1001974.jpg

Notes were last issued dated 1974, the bank was sold to Citibank in 1984 and the name disappeared. Subsequently the assets of the bank were sold to Bank of Tokyo - Mitsubishi in 1987 and the bank completely disappeared.

What a waste. There were also such cases of banks being taken over by other bigger banks in Singapore. Their names disappeared.