• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saor Alba -

A nice tidbit of information for you and others:

A recent issue of the IBNS Journal had a story about the 1 Yuan note with the lady on the tractor. I always thought that these vignettes were allegorical or artists inventions but, in this case at least, it was based on a photo of her on a tractor. Evidently the lady (Liang Jun) was China's first female tractor driver. She was trained in 1948 at a school sanctioned by the Comunist Party and wound up working most of her life with agricultrual machinery. The note was first issued in 1960. She retired in 1990 and is now 80 years old.

Saor Alba -

A recent issue of the IBNS Journal had a story about the 1 Yuan note with the lady on the tractor. I always thought that these vignettes were allegorical or artists inventions but, in this case at least, it was based on a photo of her on a tractor. Evidently the lady (Liang Jun) was China's first female tractor driver. She was trained in 1948 at a school sanctioned by the Comunist Party and wound up working most of her life with agricultrual machinery. The note was first issued in 1960. She retired in 1990 and is now 80 years old.

Now that is what makes these notes so interesting :ninja: This is actually a note I have been looking for an example of for a bit of time, they are usually too pricey.

Saor Alba -

Dave - Interesting information. In other words, she was 30 years old in 1960.

The ethnicity series is really well done. A few years ago I happened by a booklet of uncut notes for the whole series. I am attaching a pic of the 5 jiao note. It is not a scan as my scanner is not big enough for this. Hopefully it come through OK.

IMG_3283__resized3_.JPG

The ethnicity series is really well done. A few years ago I happened by a booklet of uncut notes for the whole series. I am attaching a pic of the 5 jiao note. It is not a scan as my scanner is not big enough for this. Hopefully it come through OK.

IMG_3283__resized3_.JPG

I wished I had found some of those when I was in China, but I did find sheets of some of the earlier notes.

Here is my latest, a proposed $2 Peso note from Banco de Mexico ca. 1918, this was printed by a Mexican security printing company in the hopes of securing a contract which in fact went to American Banknote Company instead:

mexico2.jpg

A very lovely Latina with an Aztec calendar in the background

mexico2r.jpg

Libertad or Winged Victory in Mexico City