Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Dave and Art.

There is another set of first prefix Solid 111111 ( the only full set with additional of 100 pounds solid 111111, is the only 100 pounds solid number in the whole of new 2009 series ) already flied (sold) off. This set 111111 is scarce as it is the only complete set of solid.

See323 must have found Pam West :ninja: I have found that she seems to have the "in" as far as getting nice serials from Scottish banks. I have a serial # 00000011 set of Robert Burns notes from the Clydesdale from 1996.

So far, I only sold a Scottish note to Pam West which I kept for 20+ years. I have not bought any notes from her yet. ;)

Nice Straits note! Interesting that the Chinese legends refer to it as a "silver certificate" while the English portion simply states that it's a dollar note. Perhaps this is because they were aware at the beginning of '35 that it was likely that China (+ HK and Straits?) were going to leave the silver standard?

Nice Straits note! Interesting that the Chinese legends refer to it as a "silver certificate" while the English portion simply states that it's a dollar note. Perhaps this is because they were aware at the beginning of '35 that it was likely that China (+ HK and Straits?) were going to leave the silver standard?

Due to the various migrants, traders from China, India, Middle East and various countries, the colonial Straits Settlements banknotes issued in Singapore print the various languages on the note to enable usage by different races.

Under the Malaya KGVI and Malaya British Borneo QEII, these colonial notes only retain the Arabs writings. I am not too sure what was the real reason. Arabs writings were used by the Malay Singaporean due to Islam religion. Maybe it is because Malay language was widely used in Singapore during that period. The older generation of Singaporeans ( Chinese, Indian etc ) were fluent in Malay. I remember I was taught the malay language during my primary schools ( I never pay attention during my Malay lesson ). Even today, we still sing our National Anthem in Malay language in schools. We are still using Malay language commands for our foot drills during our compulsory national service ( army, police force ).

I have aquired some slightly different notes over the last few weeks.

Firstly is this wonderful piece it is two uncut notes sewn to be one note.

3751_A_tn.jpg

A German Africa note not overly rare but interesting all the same

3754_A_tn.jpg

3754_B_tn.jpg

My first velvet note

3746_A_tn.jpg

A rather striking note :ninja:

3744_A_tn.jpg

3744_B_tn.jpg

This is damaged however I probobly could not have justified $700 for one in UNC so this for around $70 seems good.

3743_A_tn.jpg

Some new pieces came in the mail today. The Tunisian note has the prefix in what I'll call a 'English' fashion (for lack of a better term) at the top right, and the prefix becomes the suffix on the lower left for what I'll call the 'Arabic' fashion. I had this explained to me before as the language is read left to right, but the numbers I guess are printed right to left. At fist this seemed odd, but upon thinking about it a little, we put the Dollar, Pound, Euro, etc. signs before the numbers and always say 20 dollars - not dollars 20. Anyway, enough rambling about my observations.

2e5mic9.jpg

Indeed it is! I have no way of authenticating it, but I looked on eBay at other Danny Thomas autographs, and it matches up pretty well so I think it's genuine. Apparently from my conversation with the dealer, Danny Thomas and Bob Hope both autographed a lot of dollar bills, my guess was this was done in the late 1950s or early 1960s when his career was in high gear with "Make Room for Daddy." Just thought it was an interesting note/autograph combo for a very little amount of money.

Singapore Bird Series (1976) glutter fold error with an almost solid 555555. Something quite unlikely and interesting. Very happy to acquire this piece that connect to both my Singapore Bird $1 Error collection and my solid number 555555 collection. Aging and uncirculated except for the glutter fold.

Bird1GlutterError555554-B.jpg

Bird1GlutterError555554-F.jpg