CoinPeople.com

Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

I certainly would like to see those!

Dave

I'm still waiting on the French ones but I have several English and American documents I still need to scan. Once the French ones arrive I will try and remember to post them. :ninja:

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

puertorico5dollars1909dtl1.jpg

puertorico5dollars1909dtl2.jpg

Printer's proof from ABNCo, curiously this is of the 1909 issue. All Puerto Rican notes are quite scarce, particularly the issues from after the American rule began in 1898.

Ah! A lovely senorita on a lovely banknote. Quite a nice acquisition there - Congrats! :ninja:;);)

One of those mysteriously enigmatic notes that appears from time to time in auctions. In the European pursuit of colonialising Africa during the early 20th century four world powers sought one of the crown jewels based on location. We all know in real estate that location location location is key to property. And one side of the Pillars of Hercules, Straits of Gibraltar lay Gibraltar(zealously controlled by Great Britain) and Spain of course. The other side, in what is now Morocco, was pursued by France, Great Britain, Spain, and Germany.

Of course nobody asked or really cared what the residents in what is now Morocco thought, and they rebelled with the assistance of an adventurous Englishman, Captain C. Gardiner pursued independence of the Europeans:

riff.jpg

The government of the Riff existed for a brief period in the early 1920's before having been defeated by the Spaniards. Captain Gardner took it upon himself to print these notes, which is quite apparent that they were printed in Great Britain with references in English and to English money and curiously not pesetas.

Neat note, and an exquisite example of one of my favourite things about collecting banknotes – little known histories! I’ve not heard of the Riff Gov't before, but I’ve looked up some other references on this and it’s a great piece of history. And so, I go forth a little more knowledgeable. Thanks for posting!