CoinPeople.com

Your dream coin

NetJohn

Easy topic, probably done before, but I'll give it another shot.

What's the one coin that you'd drool over to have in your collection that you'd never be able to afford? The one that you'd give up all the other coins in your collection to own.

I'd have to go with the Coiled Hair Stella (1879 or 1880).

Or the octagonal $50 Pan-Pac.

Or...

OK, since I can't decide only one myself, you can name a few, if you want.

John

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a pretty simple guy. Not really into rarities much just for the sake of rarity...things like 1913 Lib Nicks and 1804 Dollars don't do much for me. If you gave me one, I'd just sell it. :lol: I'm also not into ultra high grade coins so that lets out a lot of choices.

My dream coin is rather simple too. A Fugio cent in VF condition, no higher, no lower. Good thing about being a simple guy is that my dream coin is probably attainable. :ninja:

Give them all up for one? I don't think so. I examined the Garrett collection lots years ago at Bowers and Ruddy. Now if you want to swap collections---okay. The 1804 dollar, great stuff. The rare colonials and patterns, even better. I handed my wife an Eid Mar denarius at the ANA this summer and then told her what it cost. I was ready to catch it. But she was cool and just handed it back. I was ready to write a check, but the dealer knows me well enough that $2,000 is a good day for me with months of saving for a national show. Oh well, the Eid Mar wasn't struck in Gaul so it doesn't fit in my collection. Now a Celtic Parisian gold, abstract head and abstract horse, I might reconsider!

My dream coin would be the MCMVII Saint Gaudens high-relief double eagle....followed by the 1933 saint. The 1927-D is the big one no doubt.

Too bad my budget is more along the lines of 1972 type 2 Ike  :ninja:

I high relief Saint Gaudens or a Pan Pac $50 would be good choices for US coins. I'd also strongly consider some 18th century US Gold in MS.

I gotta go with likes_Ikes--I have always loved the Saints, hands-down the most magnificent coin ever hammered out, especially that Roman numeral unspeakably high relief wire rim lettered edge bastich that I'll never ever own... :ninja: Okay, I feel better now. Base-metal, it has to be the 1856 Flying Eagle. And I might just be talked into one of the legendary '64 Peace dollars, or '74 aluminum cents. I'm not picky. :lol:

My dream coin would be the MCMVII Saint Gaudens high-relief double eagle....followed by the 1933 saint. The 1927-D is the big one no doubt.

Too bad my budget is more along the lines of 1972 type 2 Ike  :ninja:

Well, in the grand scheme of rare Saints, my budget is much closer to yours! I will someday own a regular high relief Saint, so the choice for me would be an Ultra-High Relief (if you've never seen one in person, it makes the regular HR Saint look flat). But in my view there are probably almost twice as many URH Saints extant than 27-Ds (I believe there are about a dozen or so 27-Ds and maybe two dozen URHs), so for rougly the same $2 million, I would choose the coin that's twice as rare. As for the 33, right now it's more of a novelty piece with one that's technically legal to own. There are now 13 total specimens, and that number may increase (there is still debate as to whether the one sold in 2002 was indeed the Farouk specimen). Depending on what happens with the Switt specimens, you could see more come out of the woodwork so to speak. Currently I would rank the 33 on par with the 27-D for extant specimens, though the legal problems make the 33 tougher to own. Anyhow, that's why I chose the coin I did in this fantasy league!

A 1878-CC Trade dollar,within the realm of possibilty for me but over my price range.

One of these days maybe. Holed, chopmarked to hell, whizzed, dipped, rubbed, drop kicked.....it could happen :ninja:

Archived