• Created
  • Last Reply

Im new to the site, :ninja:

Hello to all my fellow coin collecters

My coin would have to be the 1804 Dollar

Just love that coin :lol:

See ya,

COINKING88

I could not trade my whole collection for this because I actually own another in the same series not quite as famous. That said, mine would be one of the earliest known coins from the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus. This coin from Gyges

fig310.jpg

would be typical. Striated on one side with punch marks. If I have my coins right, the punchmarks are linked with another coin of Miletos, that one having a Lion on one side and these on the other.

It is the origin of coinage that fascinates me most.

Read more from Historia Numorum on Ed Snible's website:

http://www.snible.org/coins/hn/lydia.html

Ætheling

It just so happens I have a 1911 1d in fine (bit of green verdigris) that was brought up with some of the artifacts....honest guv.

Yours for £50 :ninja:

A coin salvaged from the Titanic, that'd suit me down to the ground.

That would be extremely interesting! I remember seeing the traveling Titanic exhibit (I think it was in Vegas) and they had many exhibits of small artifacts recovered, from postcards to eyeglasses, from immigration documents to coins and currency. Very interesting and somber exhibit.

Very sombre indeed i can imagine and at the same time very intriguing. I've heard people say that Titanic has something that grabs attention, perhaps the tragic loss of life, the grand scale of the ship.

But to me it stands remarkable for a different reason;

The Titanic is a microcosm of 'Edwardian' society. Things really weren't as picturesque or as golden as they tried to paint it, war was on the horizon, class restriction and struggle on the ship during it's sinking mirrored the struggle going on between the classes in the everyday world. The gap between rich and poor was immense. The entrepeneurs still put their own self surety in being right ahead of any possible safety problems that might occur (a very Victorian attitude). That ship was 'Edwardian' Europe and the illusion it cast was broken on the quietest, calmest night of April 14th 1912. Two years later the rest of 'Edwardian' Europe sank too.

Such a momentous event in history, a coin from it would certainly be something.

Such a momentous event in history, a coin from it would certainly be something.

Well said. An elegant expression of the real pleasure of collecting coins as history.

• 9 months later...

Hmmm... I may trade my small collection for one of these because these are much scarcer than all of the stuff I have.

Here are my three cliche dream coins:

1894-S Dime

1913 V Nick

1964 Peace.

All related patterns to those three series

I am working on these series. For a complete series, in my opinion, I would need the patterns and other major varieties.

Regarding notes:

1928 C *STAR* $1 Silver Cert.

1928 E *STAR* $1 Silver Cert.

PS. What is the Eid Mar coin? I figure you guys could explain it to me a little more passionately than another website.

Struck by Brutus to commemorate the assassination of Julius Caesar on the Ides of March ("EID MAR"). I believe the cap is the liberty cap, to suggest that the dictator has been killed (daggers), and that the Roman people are once again free. As history would tell, this was not to be the truth.

Struck by Brutus to commemorate the assassination of Julius Caesar on the Ides of March ("EID MAR"). I believe the cap is the liberty cap, to suggest that the dictator has been killed (daggers), and that the Roman people are once again free. As history would tell, this was not to be the truth.

^^ what he said...see, Brutus helped kill Caesar but the problem is, Caesar was very popular with the people and Brutus found himself on the run. The interesting thing about this coin as well is that it was minted around 43/42 BC, there is a high likelyhood that it was minted while he was on the run in a mint that traveled with him that he used to pay his soldiers. Marcus Antonius took advantage of the unpopular killing of Caesar to denounce his murderers and Brutus fled with his soldiers. He would eventualy take his own life after defeat at the hands of Marcus Antonius.

Brutus issued the this silver denarius to remind his soldiers that they fought for the Roman Republic. The reverse of the coin bears the two daggers, with a liberty cap in between. The inscription reads EID MAR, meaning "the Ides of March." The message of the coin is that on the Ides of March, Brutus set the Romans free.

MOST republican roman coins did NOT have a real persons face on it, Caesar broke the mold for this and Brutus also went along thus this coin has the image of Brutus. The inscription reads BRVT IMP L PLAET CEST, which means Brutus, Imperator, Lucius Plaetorius Cestianus. Lucius Plaetorius Cestianus was the moneyer who produced the coin.

Coins like this have sold for around 150,000 dollars (this one isnt as well struck as some I have seen) and is very very rare...with a great amount of important history surrounding it.

Coins like this have sold for around 150,000 dollars (this one isnt as well struck as some I have seen) and is very very rare...with a great amount of important history surrounding it.

One of my favorite dealers had one at the ANA show a couple of years ago. He handed it to my wife. She said neat, she liked it. He told her the price. She said I couldn't buy one!

Archived