CoinPeople.com

Beans beans the magical fruit...ENDED

The more you eat, the more you toot.

The more you toot, the better you feel,

So lets have beans for every meal.

:ninja:

Ok new contest drawing. Post the beans you like most that give you tootage. If you don't like beans pick somethin' else.

Contest ends Thursday at 8pm CST.

Winner gets as always a draw from the prize drawer.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canellini beans as an ingredient to one of my favourite cullinary delights....Tomato and Red Pepper Soup. Rich flavours, rich textures and a guaranteed rooting tooting time to be had by all. :-)

Recipe available for the asking.

Ian

Officially I will say large red kidney beans as I often use those in Mexican dishes that I make.

However, if I may toot my own horn :ninja: , there is one thing that makes the oriface orate like nothing else: pea soup with mustard. Hernekeitto in Finnish:

hernekeitto.jpg

Thursday is considered the traditional day to serve it. And it is often served at gatherings and other small community outings in a tank that is modeled after the ones used in wartime.

Refried beans, kidney beans....pinto beans.....green beans....just about any beans.....chili beans are fun....oh but the best is split green pea soup.....oh man....my Dad makes that every Thanksgiving when we go camping.....total scene from Balzing Saddles....I kid you not....funniest thing ever!

I love this soup and usually get the Olive Garden's variety which I think has two or three types of beans in it. The soup, HOWEVER, does not love me and the after effects are enough to make me actually excuse myself from a group and go home. :ninja: I'm not sure if it's one bean in particular or just the whole combination, but it's DEADLY!!!

Pasta e Fagioli Soup

(Italian)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Tablespoons olive oil

2 onions, thickly sliced

2 carrots, thickly sliced on a diagonal

1 red pepper, hot or sweet, thinly sliced

1/2 lb. smoked ham, cut into a julienne

3 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil--or 1 Tablespoon pesto

4 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 teaspoon oregano

1 15-oz. can of tomatoes

6 cups chicken stock

2 1-lb. cans of dark red kidney beans

2 and 1/2 cups small rotelle pasta

salt and pepper

1/4 cup shredded basil leaves (or parsley, if you can't get fresh basil)

Garnish: 1 bunch green onions, sliced thinly on the diagonal; olive oil; parmesan cheese

In a large saucepan, fry the onions, carrots, and peppers in the oil over medium heat--until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the ham, basil or pesto, garlic, oregano, and mint. Stir for a few minutes, then add the drained tomatoes (reserving juice). Cook at a fairly high heat, stirring, until the mixture is a thick sauce, crushing the tomatoes with the spoon as they cook. This always takes longer than you think--as much as 10 minutes.

Add the reserved tomato juice, stock, and kidney beans, with or without their sauce, your choice). Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. At this point, you can refrigerate until you are ready to serve.

When ready to serve, degrease the soup and return it to a boil. Add the pasta and boil gently until it is al dente--about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the mushrooms, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Then stir in the shredded basil or parsley, ladle into bowls, garnish with the green onions and a drizzle of olive oil. Pass the parmesan separately.

Canellini beans as an ingredient to one of my favourite cullinary delights....Tomato and Red Pepper Soup. Rich flavours, rich textures and a guaranteed rooting tooting time to be had by all.  :-)

Recipe available for the asking.

Ian

Yes, please, post that bad boy!!! :ninja:

Archived