CoinPeople.com

Standard Catalog of World Coins

Brett

Krause now has available the 2008 Standard Catalog of World Coins 3 DVD Set for $99

This 3 DVD set includes 3 volumes of the respected series: 1801-1900, 1901-2000 and 2001-Present.

Images that can be clearly enlarged up to 300% without distorion

Printable pages, allowing you to print only what you need to use when you are away from your computer

Using the country-by-page index, you are able to navigate directly to the country you are seeking to reference

Has anyone purchased this yet?? Or is anyone going to???

I would like to, but want to know if anyone has any feedback on how good it is.

I think I will wait until I hear a few reviews. $100.00 for 3 disks? Not bad. Are they able to be updated every year or do you need to purchase new disks? Will you be able to buy just one disk or will you need to keep buying them in sets.

What about Krause's NumisMaster. How is that going to be different than the disk set and which one will be a better value?

And, I wonder how this will effect the quality of the paper Catalogs, which I prefer.

Nah! What kind of files are there? I just can't imagine!

If copies will come from Russia, I bet they will be on one disk!

And yet! If there are pdf files, it should be much more cheaper than paper copy!

Any kind of data base? Haven't heard any responses, thus that's must be green!

Agreewith Brett- I'll wait!

I hate to say it as it probably enters me into the world of the old fuddy-duddy, but I find it easiest/fastest to look up the coins in a book. I am currently trying the on-line Krause called the Numismaster, which gives you a lot of reference in one place, but takes longer to look up individual coins. If the on-line guide or DVDs had actual color photos of the coins instead of black and white copies of the ones shown in the catalogs, it would be a big plus. The Numismaster claims that the coin prices are constantly being adjusted as the market changes, but to be real honest, I've compared them with the prices in my books and it's usually the same as my 2004 issue.

I agree with Blackhawk, looking up individual coins is more convenient with a paper book. If I have an unknown coin and I want to kmow where it;s from, I can glance over many pages very quickly and see if there's a coin in the page with a similar design, If so, I can look closer to see if it's the coin I have in my hand. I don't see myself doing that with a digital version.

Too bad they don't give a screen shot on the web site to see what you get.

For the Europeans, the situation is more complicated, here any Krause book is over 90 euro, even if you buy one direct from US. Mail prices are killing for books, so the DVD version can be an cheaper option. I will decide this week to buy or not one set...

For the Europeans, the situation is more complicated, here any Krause book is over 90 euro, even if you buy one direct from US.

Right, Gietl-Battenberg for example wants €80 for the Krause 1901-2000 volume and €40 for the 2001-"Today" volume. http://www.battenberg.de/index.php?seite=b...d=&ver_id=5 (The depicted catalog is the "2008" edition in both cases.) Now the Schön world coins catalog 1900-"Today" costs €48 but is in German.

However, if you buy these two Krause catalogs from, say, amazon.de, that costs €61.40 for the two volumes - about half of what Gietl charges. And AFAIK these are not "outdated" issues either but the current editions:

http://www.amazon.de/Standard-Catalog-Worl.../dp/0896895009/

http://www.amazon.de/2008-Standard-Catalog.../dp/0896895017/

Shipping to addresses in Germany is free (for books), but AFAIK they also deliver elsewhere if you pay for s/h. Could be a viable alternative.

Christian

I have most of the Krause books...I am not planning to update them until I can get newer date books for 19 bucks like I got the ones I have now....cheap and used :ninja: I prefer to spend money on the coin and not the book about the coin. If my Kause is out of a date a few years...no biggie.

I have most of the Krause books...I am not planning to update them until I can get newer date books for 19 bucks like I got the ones I have now....cheap and used :ninja: I prefer to spend money on the coin and not the book about the coin. If my Kause is out of a date a few years...no biggie.

im the same way!! but i borrow book sfrom the library for 6 months at a time hehe

• 2 months later...
I am tempted, at the price of 99.99 for three catalogues seems to be a huge bargain instead of some cheap copies coming out from Russia (and they aren't THAT cheap anyways)

I bought them from Ukraine for 3 dolars ))))))))))

For the Europeans, the situation is more complicated, here any Krause book is over 90 euro, even if you buy one direct from US. Mail prices are killing for books, so the DVD version can be an cheaper option. I will decide this week to buy or not one set...

I don't know how it goes, but here in Riga I can get XIX & XX centuries for Ls 32,- (less than EUR 50.-) each. XXIc. goes even less. (XIXc- 5th edition)

I don't mind softcopy guides and I'm considering the $99 price tag. Yet, I do like a hard copy when trying to figure out dates for Asian and Arabic coins as it's easier to book mark and page flip back and forth so I'd probably still keep an hold hard copy around just for that reason.

i sprung for it. i like the idea of having a copy on my powerbook (which goes with me wherever) and on my home network. they're humongous pdf files ... so if you don't have a contemporary system then these are probably not your best choice.

I also prefer paper for working at home and have recent Krause catalogs for 17-20 centuries. But when traveling I can't carry with me four thick volumes, so I take a notebook with uploaded pdf files from CDs I bought in Russia. That's very convenient. The CDs with Krause sell in Russia for 4-8 dollars a volume (if these CDs come from Ukraine, they could be even cheaper there as mistershilling wrote). The quality of images on CDs with editions of the last 2 years is quite good. I doubt that it is worth paying $99 for three centuries if for $30-35 one can get five, even if not the very latest editions.

Archived