CoinPeople.com

How Far Back Can We Go??

tommyd

I have another of these for 1548:

Si1E09.jpg

Kremnitz in Hungary, Habsburg, Ferdinand I. (1520-1564), 1548 AD.,

Denar (15-17 mm / 0,48 g),

Obv.: FERDINAND. D. G. R. VNG. 1548 , shield with Hungarian arms (Árpádian stripes, patriarchal cross, Dalmatian leopard heads, Bohemian lion).

Rev.: PATRONA. - .VNGARIE / K - B , Madonna and Jesus child seated, facing, K – B (privy mark) in fields.

... but no one for 47, so it´s your chance now.

:)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Man, to think this thread is actually approaching the 500 year mark! It's a fantastic show of devotion and dedication by our fellow numismatists. It's too bad I don't have anything further to contribute; but let's keep this alive!

Until someone shows a 1542 i post this 1544 in our waiting room (actually i had no chance to post it the regular sequence, tommyd was too fast).

Ostpr1544.jpg

1544 AD., Prussia, Albrecht von Brandenburg, Groschen, Saurmasche coll. 2678.

Prussia, Albrecht von Brandenburg (1525-69), 1544 AD.,

Groschen (23 mm / 1,91 g),

Obv.: (Zollern shield of arms) IVSTVS EX FIDE VIVIT 1544 , his bust facing r.

Rev.: ALBER D G MAR BRAИ DVX PRVSS / S , eagle with S on breast.

Saurmasche coll. 2678 .

Albert of Prussia (German: Albrecht; Latin: Albertus) (8 July 1490 – 20 March 1568) was the 37th Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights and, after converting to Lutheranism, the first duke of the Duchy of Prussia, which was the first state to adopt the Lutheran faith and Protestantism as the official state religion. Albert proved instrumental in the political spread of Protestantism in its early stage.

Because Albert was a member of the Brandenburg-Ansbach branch of the House of Hohenzollern, it had been hoped that his election as Grand Master would reverse the decline of the Teutonic Knights since 1410; Duke Frederick of Saxony of the House of Wettin had been elected for the same reason. Instead, Albert's secularization of the Prussian territories of the Order eventually led to the inheritance of the Duchy of Prussia by the Margraviate of Brandenburg.

Although Albert has received relatively little recognition in German history, his dissolution of the Teutonic State caused the founding of the Duchy of Prussia (and also the Hohernzollern dynasty), which would eventually become arguably the most powerful German state and instrumental in uniting the whole of Germany. Albert is therefore often seen as the father of the Prussian nation, and even as indirectly responsible for the unification of Germany. He was a skilled political administrator and leader, and effectively reversed the decline of the Teutonic Order, until he betrayed it by transforming the order's lands into his own duchy, secularizing it in the process.

He was the first German noble to support Luther's ideas and in 1544 founded the University of Königsberg (the so called Albertina) as a rival to the Roman Catholic Cracow Academy; it was only the second Lutheran university in the German states, after Marburg.

He died of plague at Tapiau (todays Gvardeysk (Russian Гварде́йск​ , Lithuanian: Tepliava/Tepliuva; Polish: Tapiawa/Tapiewo) a town in the Königsberg/Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia, located on the right bank of the Pregel/Pregolya River) on 20 March 1568.

:)

This is really a great thread and great coins. :clapping:

We are getting close to dates I don't think we are going to be able to say this came from x year, but from a range of years. Any more thoughts on it? Maybe wait on 10 coins from a ten year date range till we move on?

This is a great thread and I check it frequently. Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute or perhaps fortunately as I do not need another coin area to fuss over.

I think until the 1520s, we should still be able to pull through some combination of Hungarian, Austrian, and German pieces.

I agree, I think the next one I have on hand is 1538, I have a good dozen or more going on to 1515. Little is in sequence though. I don't know why we can't get at least through the 1500s, though it may take us a while!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here we go for 1540:

Bruegg.jpg

Riga in Latvia, Livonian Order, Hermann von Brüggeney-Hasenkamp (1535-1549), 1540 AD.,

AR Schilling (18 mm / 0,83 g),

Obv.: HIRD-BRIC-NA M-LIVO , Family Arms on Order cross.

Rev.: MONE•NOV•RIGENSIS 140 , arms of the city of Riga: cross above crossed keys, dot beneath.

Neumann 246 ; Haljak 180 ; Kieler 180 .

Hermann von Brüggenei called Hasenkamp (also Bugseney, Brügeney, date of birth unknown; † 1549) was Land Master of Livonia 1535 to 1549 .

Hermann's parents were Wennemar Brüggenei and Christine Oldenbockum from Westphalia in western Germany. The Master of the Order was distantly related to him. Hermann came as a child to Livonia. He appeared there in the Livonian Order.

Hermann von Brüggenei enjoyed a peaceful reign, because 1531 the Russians prevailed with a 20-year peace and even with the Archbishop of Riga were no problems. Brüggenei supported the Roman Catholic Church against the Reformation. In 1549 Brüggenei died, probably of plague.