tommyd

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Si1E21.jpg

Świdnica in Silesia, Bohemian kingdom, Louis II of Hungary (1516-1526), 1526 AD.,

Half Groschen (17-18 mm / 0,94 g),

Obv.: + CIVITAS: SWЄINIC: 1:5:26 , around crown.

Rev.: + LVDOVICVS: II: VN: ЄT: BO , around eagle.

Friedensburg 721 ; Saurm. 222 .

Świdnica (German: Schweidnitz; Czech: Svídnice) is a town in south-western Poland. It has a population of 60,317 according to 2006 figures. It lies in Lower Silesian Voivodeship, being the seventh largest town in that voivodeship.

At the end of the 14th century the city was under rule of the Kingdom of Bohemia, and a long period of growth began. The last Piast duke was Bolko II of Świdnica, and after his death in 1368 land was held by his wife until 1392; after her death they were incorporated into the lands of Bohemia by Wenceslaus, King of the Romans. In 1493, the town is recorded by Hartmann Schedel in his Nuremberg Chronicle as Schwednitz[1] along with Neyß, Oppel, Liegnitz, Teschen, Frankenstein etc. all in Silesia.

In 1471, there were 47 trade guilds in operation, nearly 300 homes had the rights to brew beer, and large cattle and hops fairs were organized. The beer was distributed in many European cities, including Breslau, Prague, Heidelberg, Kraków, and Pisa. The beer was offered in pubs.

In 1526, all of Silesia, including Schweidnitz, came under the rule of the Habsburg Monarchy. The city of Schweidnitz was in the surrounding Duchy of Schweidnitz. The Thirty Years' War (1618–48) ravaged the Duchy. The town was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia during the First Silesian War. It was subsequently turned into a fortress. Schweidnitz became part of the Prussian-led German Empire in 1871 during the unification of Germany.

The town was placed under Polish administration according to the post-war Potsdam Conference in 1945 and renamed Świdnica. The German population who had not fled during the war were subsequently expelled westward and replaced with Poles, many of whom had been expelled themselves from Polish areas annexed by the Soviet Union.

Louis II (July 1, 1506, Budapest, Hungary – August 29, 1526 in Mohács, Hungary) was King of Hungary and King of Bohemia from 1516 to 1526.

After his father's death in 1516, the minor Louis II ascended to the throne of Hungary and Bohemia Upon his father's death Louis had been adopted by Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I in 1515. When Maximilian I died in 1519, Louis was raised by his legal guardian, his cousin Georg von Hohenzollern, margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach.

In 1522 Louis II was married to Mary of Habsburg, a Habsburg princess, granddaughter of Maximilian I, as stipulated by the First Congress of Vienna in 1515. His sister Anne was married to Archduke Ferdinand of Austria, then a governor on behalf of his brother Charles V, and later Emperor Ferdinand I.

On 29 August 1526, Louis was killed in the Battle of Mohács while leading his forces against Suleiman the Magnificent of the Ottoman Empire. He had no legitimate children. Ferdinand was elected as his successor in Kingdom of Bohemia and Hungary, but the Hungarian throne was contested by János Szapolyai, who ruled the areas of the kingdom conquered by the Turks as an Ottoman client.

:)

Aren't we getting close to the oldest dated coin known?

Also, if/when we did finish this thread, we should turn them into one big PCI. Someone should also make a poster and market it to museums for their gift shops :P

I think it was also discussed that there's other calendar types that have been used on coins. Someone else would have to chime in to tell us what types of coins would fit this criteria.

haha I recognize that but I was too lazy to specify the calendar. i was hoping we'd all assume the calendar we've been using.

There are arabic dated (islamic) coins. I can manage to sort the dates of Turkish ones with the help of a book but I can't manage most of them, and gothic dates on some medieval coins. I am pretty sure we can finish this century out but into the 1400s I don't know! Right at the moment I only have a few more years in hand - 1524, 21, 15, and 12. I have a few more on the way from Europe, but it's certainly getting challenging! One thing this thread has done has been to start me organizing a date set of the 16th century, fun! You can see it here if you are interested.

I'm glad to see every time I venture back to the internet I see this thread advancing more and more. Keep it up guys. I've been out since 1580 so I can only sit back and enjoy. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...