How Far Back Can We Go??

tommyd

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm also intrigued as to why 140? Is that actually delineating it as being a bona fide `1540'?

Ian

I have to wonder as well, to me, it looks like the date says 1514 and the 0 is perhaps an o. Of course that would mean the attribution is off and not having seen the coin in hand I could be completely off base. (I hope I am, or we need to revisit 1540!)

Ben

It does look more like 1514 to me but I can't explain the character after the 4. Don't know enough about the coin type and wouldn't argue in any event :). Why don't we just go with it being 1540 anyway, and if someone else comes up with a 15 40 we would of course be more than delighted to see it. 1539 anyone?

It does look more like 1514 to me but I can't explain the character after the 4. Don't know enough about the coin type and wouldn't argue in any event :). Why don't we just go with it being 1540 anyway, and if someone else comes up with a 15 40 we would of course be more than delighted to see it. 1539 anyone?

1539 is posted :yahoo: scroll up! Now 1538!

Ben

OK, this one is a silver teston of Francis I of France. It does not have an arabic date, but according to Ciani 'Les Monnaies Royale Francaises' (Paris 1926) this coin was minted by mint master Pierre Le Maistre at Cremieu in 1538.

909234.jpg

(15)37

Matthaus von Lang Wellenburg (1519-1540). Statesman and Archbishop of Salzburg - 2 Pfennig 1537, uniface Zweier. silver 15mm

These had the year fully dated until 1536 when they dropped the 15, so the last ones minted were dated just 36, 37, 38, 39, 40.

lg_Salzburg1536.jpg

Here is 1536, another with just a 2 digit date.

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased this one when in Poland a few days ago. Believe it or not, I was visiting Wieliczka salt mine just outside Kracow and some 150 metres or so underground they have a cafe and souvenir shop. This particular coin was on sale. Just had to buy it.

1535 dated silver Grosz of Sigismund I of Poland. A nice portrait coin.

995581.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ostpr1530.jpg

Prussia, Albrecht von Brandenburg (1525-69), 1530 AD.,

Schilling (Solidus) (19 mm / 1,09 g),

Obv.: SOLIDVS PRVSSIE 1530 / A , big A between two rosettes, Zollern shield of arms below.

Rev.: ALBER D G DVX PRVSSIE / S , eagle with S on breast.

Saurmasche coll. 2679 .

:)

Si2E15.jpg

Poland, Zygmunt I Stary / Sigismund I (1506-1548), Torun mint for Prussia, 1529 AD.,

Grossus (22 mm / 1,67 g),

Obv.: SIGIS. I. REX. PO. DO. TOCI. PRV , crowned, draped bust right.

Rev.: GROSS.COMV.TERR.PRVSS.15Z9 , "Groschen, common to all Prussian territory", around eagle with sword.

Sigismund I , 1506-1548 King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania, *1467 in Kraków, son of Elisabeth of Habsburg and Casimir IV Jagiello, King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania. Sigismund married Barbara Zápolya from Transylvania in 1512. After her death he married Bona Sforza from Milan in 1518. Their son Sigismund II August was Grand Duke of Lithuania and the last Jagiellon King of Poland. Sigismund and Bona Sforza were lovers of the fine arts. They brought Italian artists to Kraków and propagated Renaissance ideals throughout the country. The period of the two Sigismunds is known as the Golden Age of Polish culture.

Sigismund's nephew Albert of Brandenburg-Ansbach was the last grand master of the Teutonic Order. On 10 April 1525, he took the oath of fealty on the marketplace of Kraków. In return, Sigismund made him the first Duke of Prussia and invested him with the domains of the Order. This so called "Prussian Homage" converted the catholic Teutonic Order into the secular lutheran Duchy of East Prussia as a fief of catholic Poland. Western Prussia had already become the Polish province of Royal Prussia in 1466. Sigismund added the duchy of Mazovia (now the province of Warsaw) to the Polish state when the last ruler of the Piast dynasty died in 1529. His country extended from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea. Sigismund had to fight off attacks from Russians and Tatars. Domestically, he asserted royal power against the predominant nobility.

West Prussia fell under Polish government in 1466, after her secession from the Teutonic Order in 1454. King Sigismund largely confirmed the rights of the diet. The Prussian eagle with brandishing sword arm became the coat of arms of "royal Polish Prussia". The Prussian eagle is derived from the coat of arms of the Teutonic Order: a cross surmounted by a black imperial eagle. The crown on the eagle's neck stands for "being put to the yoke". The sword arm is a symbol of secular law. The first king's governor in West Prussia used this coat of arms to seal state documents.

:)