Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave, very nice Michigan note, I love the train on it! Speaking of which, the 2010 Mexican 100 peso commemorative with the locomotive is polymer if I remember correctly, but the 200 peso commemorative with the angel de la independencia statue image is paper. Both of them are very beautiful notes!

Dave, very nice Michigan note, I love the train on it! Speaking of which, the 2010 Mexican 100 peso commemorative with the locomotive is polymer if I remember correctly, but the 200 peso commemorative with the angel de la independencia statue image is paper. Both of them are very beautiful notes!

mexico100pesos2010.jpg

mexico200pesos2010.jpg

mexico500pesos2010.jpg

The latter two are paper, but it would make sense that the lowest value note would be polymer since it sees a lot more usage and wear. I am going to order the new $1000 when I have replenished my payPoo account and have it sent from Mexico City.

Thanks for that, looks like an image I saw on wikipedia, so I guess this is not a commemorative. As for the polymer vs. paper cutoff, 100 pesos does not seem high enough, after all that's only $8, and a 200-peso is only $16. Even a 500-peso is worth only $40, so these seem really low to be paper and wearing our quickly. Of course I don't know how they circulate down in Mexico, since the last time I was there they had no polimer notes, and the smallest bill was 2,000 pesos with a value of about 65-cents!

Of course I don't know how they circulate down in Mexico, since the last time I was there they had no polimer notes, and the smallest bill was 2,000 pesos with a value of about 65-cents!

The peso has been on a rather steady decline in value again, rather hard to accomplish given the dollar's precipitous plunge in real value.

To my understanding, 200 peso is the largest regular circulating note, and it's commonly advised when buying stuff in the marketplaces and streets to carry coins as well as 50 and 100 peso notes since some small vendor may have difficulty providing change for a 200, especially if it's early in the day!

Not that different from here, considering how many small shops outright reject $50 and $100 notes.

I have gone into large grocery stores in the morning in Donets'k and gotten yelled at by the cashier because I tendered a 200 hryven note(about $28) for a purchase. Yes, literally yelled at. OTOH I have been in small market stalls and only had a big bill like a 200 and had them take off quickly saying they had to go break it, then run back with my small pile of change. It is something I have learned in Ukraine, always try to buy from entrepreneurs that run their own little businesses, because they bend over backwards to make a sale - unlike big businesses where their attitude makes you think it is a privilege to buy from them.

The Tatarstan notes are enigmatic, they usually never had denominations on them - only an assigned value. There are also many different varieties of them.

As you can see from the scan this one appears to have been cleaned. You can see faint hand written numbers on one side.

guatemala1peso1921dtl.jpg

guatemala1peso1921.jpg

Guatemala is a country in Central America, located betwixt Mexico and Nicaragua. Like many contemporary Latin American countries, commercial banks issued banknotes into the early part of the 20th century - the effect of which was very lovely designs created by Waterlow and Sons and American Banknote Company. Competition for banknote orders was fierce betwixt the two companies, but Guatemalan banks tended to go with Waterlow and Sons Printers for their note orders. One aspect of many Waterlow printed notes was that they used original vignettes created for the customer more often than ABNCo did.

Guatemala had pegged their currency, the Peso, to the French franc at a rate of 1 Peso : 5 Francs, but this peg was abandoned and the currency allowed to float - resulting in an inflationary period that extended for about a quarter of a century. In 1925 the Guatemalan central bank stepped in, and recalled all the peso denominated notes and exchanged 60 Pesos for a new "Quetzal" denominated currency that remains their currency unit to this day.

This note was issued by a commercial bank, El Banco de Occidente, Quetzaltenango, in the city of Quetzaltenango, Guatemala's second largest city in south central Guatemala. The design of this note dates into the late 19th century for this bank, and was used up until the currency recall in 1925.

very lovely designs created by Waterlow and Sons and American Banknote Company.

that's pure art, i love all those 'a la (old) dollar' styles

Venezuela 20,000 Bolívares from 2001. Parrot on the back and I believe Simón Rodríguez on the front.

nice parrot :D one of my pref. animals... eh eh

Venezuela 20,000 Bolívares from 2001. Parrot on the back and I believe Simón Rodríguez on the front.

929558B.jpg

929558A.jpg

WHenever I see this portrait of Simon Rodriguez I have the same thing run through my mind: "Has anyone seen my glasses?"

But it is a nice note, and I too love the parrot on the reverse.

Very Nice! I like this one a lot. The vignettes are great, and the fact that there is a scene depicted for the region as well is a plus. Any idea on who the woman was, or is it just an allegorical representation?

This is a unique vignette, whereas many Latin American banks used stock images since they were more affordable, this bank appears to have had their own vignettes created. I would love to find out who the lady was, surely she must have been someone known to one of the principals in the bank. One of the fascinating aspects of many Waterlow & Co printed notes was that they were unique designs, rather unlike American Banknote where they used a lot of stock images, over a period of 60-70 years in some cases, so you could see a lady on a Canadian, Mexican, Dominican, and an Ecuadorian note during the same era.

I know when I am re-doing my website I am seriously pondering doing a series of pages on the security printers, and the engravers of the vignettes.