Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys!

Would anyone be interested in an ongoing thread with these sorts of scans? I need to scan my collection anyway (for record/insurance purposes, you know, just in case).

I for one am always interested in seeing notes from other folks collections. They're beautiful and fun.

Thanks guys!

Would anyone be interested in an ongoing thread with these sorts of scans? I need to scan my collection anyway (for record/insurance purposes, you know, just in case).

That is interesting; my insurance company will not cover my collection. They say because it is paper. They will do coins though. This is my second though, I lost the first in fire.

No way near as fancy as those East African Currency Board notes. In fact this probably cost less than the shipping envelope for those two notes. But its mine and it's pretty pink.

929619B.jpg

929619A.jpg

There's just something about these that a lot of us like. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it's so vivid and that the one yak is pink too.

:bthumbsup:

New here, picked up this pair a month or so ago. The scan seems to muddy it up a bit maybe because I left them in the sleeves. Anyone else here collect QEII notes?

scan20003a.jpg

Nice looking notes. These are of interest to me, not because of QE II, of course, but because it features an Indian script (Gujarati Alphabet). Similarly, of interest to me is also the currency from Mauritius, which features the Tamil script. Mauritius, also because it is Rupee.

Interesting, I didn't know that at all! Thanks for the info. Wonder why they put that language on money meant to circulate in a different continent. I have the Rs.50 and Rs.5 from the 1967 Mauritius series (the ones with the Annigoni portrait of QEII). The fiver is one of the first notes I had in my collection.

trash can find. from the airport the person was trying to exchange them to a diff currency. the teller couldnt take them since theyre obsulete.

i asked for the notes paid the a samll handling fee, and got them.

53.000 it.lire about ... (brain work) 25-26 Euros, i like the blue 10k :bhyper:

929633A.jpg

929634A.jpg

when newly independent Curacao recieves there new currency

omg i didnt know this (and this Dissolution of the Netherlands Antilles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissolution_of_the_Netherlands_Antilles)

is new currency from these islands coming (a la Aruba for example) or what ?

what will we have ?

Curacao (new country-currency) Old Capital of N.A. brand new currency or renamed currency?

Sint Maarten ? (new country-currency)

Bonaire, Saba, and Sint Eustatius ?(whats left of Dutch Antilles, but new currency?)

Keep the current revisited Dutch Antilles Currency or get the Euro or get their own under new name ?

ahhh :shock:

' The Central Bank of the Netherlands Antilles will become the Central Bank of Curaçao and Sint Maarten, with current management remaining in place. Curaçao and Sint Maarten will share the same currency, which will remain pegged to the United States Dollar at the same ratio, but this currency will have a new name (Dutch Caribbean Guilder instead of Netherlands Antilles Guilder). In Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba the United States Dollar will be the official currency as of January 1, 2011 '

http://www.amicorp.com/AmiNews/DNA/English.html

i dont like the last part.

Caribbean guilder’ will not be ready by 10-10-10

By The Daily Herald

Posted: Jul 26, 2010 16:20 UTC

Advertisement

WILLEMSTAD - Curaçao's General Affairs Commissioner Zita Jesus-Leito (PAR) has confirmed that the Caribbean Guilder, which is to become the currency of the new countries Curaçao and St. Maarten, will not be in circulation until six to nine months from now.

It has been known for some time that the new common currency will not be ready by October 10 when the Netherlands Antilles ceases to exist.

The Caribbean Guilder will be under supervision of the joint Central Bank of Curaçao and St. Maarten. The new bank will have a chairman, who will be chosen by both countries, while the two countries will also appoint the other six members of the Supervisory Board of Directors.

Jesus-Leito and her colleague in charge of finance, Mike Willem, held a conversation on St. Maarten with Commissioner William Marlin last week Thursday. The purpose of this conversation was to conclude further agreements on the interpretation of the joint Central Bank of the two future autonomous countries within the Dutch Kingdom.

According to Jesus-Leito, there is currently agreement on most details regarding an outline for the monetary union and a new Central Bank that requires further interpretation. The parties agreed that the Supervisory Board of Directors will consist of six members to be appointed by the two countries.

According to the commissioner, agreements were made also for a transitional arrangement until the introduction of the new currency. During this period, the new currency will be introduced gradually, whereby the current Antillean guilder will be taken out of circulation.

Jesus-Leito was very pleased with the conversation in St. Maarten. The experts will continue talks on the precise interpretation of the monetary system of the future autonomous countries.

During the presentation of the 2009 annual report on the Antillean economy, Antillean Central Bank president director, Emsley Tromp, said he still hadn't heard anything on the new currency and its denominations. Casually referring to the Central Bank advice in favour of "dollarization" which the political officeholders had not followed, Tromp said it could take 12 to 18 months before the two new countries switch to a new currency.

"First of all, we have to come up with a name for this currency and determine its denominations. From that moment, it will regard matters we have experience with, such as contacting the right authorities so that the banknotes and coins can be manufactured, and bringing this currency in circulation.

"During the transitional period, the Antillean guilder will be used along with this new monetary unit. Decisions need to be taken on this matter, as one has to consider the manufacturer's capacity, and let's not forget there's a shortage of the basic product for coins and banknotes - due to the crisis of 2008."

Interesting, I didn't know that at all! Thanks for the info. Wonder why they put that language on money meant to circulate in a different continent. I have the Rs.50 and Rs.5 from the 1967 Mauritius series (the ones with the Annigoni portrait of QEII). The fiver is one of the first notes I had in my collection.

There is a substantial Indian population in that part of Africa (East Africa) dating back to late 19th century mostly taken there by the British. As a result several countries used Rupee (or a variant) as their currency (including areas under Germany and Italy). The ones with larger populations had Indian scripts in their currency, viz, British East Africa (used Shilling as the currency), Mauritius and Zanzibar. Mauritius still uses Tamil and Hindi and is still on Rupee. Even today Rupee is a reasonably widely used currency.