CoinPeople.com

Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

Does anyone know the value of a 1857 Central Bank of Troy 3 Dollar Bill with Santa Claus vingette?

You might get more focus on your request if you started a new thread with your question. Place the thread in the Banknotes section of the "What's it worth" sections.

People also respond better if the person asking tells us something about themselves. Are you a collector? Inherited the note? Found the note? Interesting stories always get more attention.

Good luck with your question -------

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know the value of a 1857 Central Bank of Troy 3 Dollar Bill with Santa Claus vingette?

I do not. I would suggest that you might try searching for past/ended auctions on sites such as Heritage, Bowers and Morena, etc. Do you have the note, or are you looking to sell. It is a nice one to have, that's for certain!

I have a side interest in depictions of industry/technology on notes and recently picked up this 1985 note from Singapore. Not a super rare one but sort of my splurge in that category!

sp2j.jpg

Yeah I love the shameless promotion of the national airline. If they'd done it in this day and age maybe they would've put the stewardesses on it! The Boeing appears to be a 747SP, no wingtip fins.

Shame they went off and put the same guy's portrait on EVERY single note in their currency today. I find that kind of creepy unless the subject is female, or the portraits are mixed up a bit. :evilbanana:

It could very well be a 747 100 or 200, there is not enough detail to discern the particular variant. Back in the late 1970's they had the Concorde on the back of the bird series $20:

SingaporeP12-20Dollars-(1979)-donatedth_b.jpg

From Ron Wise's site.

Singapore Airlines had options on purchasing the Concorde - but then with the noise concerns, and the revenue concerns - they cancelled any prospect of buying the bird - a very wise decision as it would turn out - for the entire time that the Concordes flew they were a money loser for British Airways and Air France. But the $20 remains as testament to their then desire to buy it.

One could say that back in the 70s when that note was issued Singapore was still a developing country in some ways, and a lot of those countries like to put modernist imagery on their notes as an aspirational thing. Richer countries are more interested in depicting 'heritage' scenes which I guess is why you don't see much in the way of modern figures or technology on their notes, relatively speaking.

Their current notes are mostly "common man" engravings on the back. The fronts are pretty bland, IMO. Although the current $10000 note has a nice reverse (wikipedia):

SGD_10000_Paper_b.jpg

Always thought it interesting that Singapore series often had 5k and 10k notes--not the kind of thing you just stick in your wallet.

Anyone who's interested in these though, you can get them way below face as specimens for about 500 bucks.

I got a small head $20 from the ATM today, also am working on a set of 100fr. through 500fr. notes of the type I spent when I was last in Paris in 1995, I'll post them when I get them all.

I had a wad of the 200, and 500FF notes that I sold a few years ago.

The older ones that I used are no longer exchangable, yet they still go for crazy money as a worthless piece of paper! So far I have won 2 of the 200Fr., 1 100Fr. and am bidding on a few of the 500Fr. that end tomorrow. I always liked the 500Fr. since they were huge and had a picture of Pascal looking like he had a serious migraine!

The older ones that I used are no longer exchangable, yet they still go for crazy money as a worthless piece of paper! So far I have won 2 of the 200Fr., 1 100Fr. and am bidding on a few of the 500Fr. that end tomorrow. I always liked the 500Fr. since they were huge and had a picture of Pascal looking like he had a serious migraine!

The ones I had were Eiffel and Curie, the newest. I had used the Montesque and the Pascal notes, but never saved any of them. I think the only ones I kept new examples of were the 10FF and 20FF notes. The rest of the larger stuff I bought up uncirculated examples of in banks there, and brought home and parceled out on fleaBay back then.

The only ones of the new series I saw there were the 50fr. notes, can't remember who was on them but they were very different! I believe all those are still redeemable for euros until 2012, all the others stopped being redeemably in 2007, as I think they were withdrawn from circulation in 1997. Strange rules these Europeans have! Heck, I got 2 bills from 1995 from the bank today, if I was in France I'd have to worry if they were still legal tender!

Nice note, Baxuss! These notes certainly have a lot of history to them. I've read a little about some of them and there are quite a few that have some interesting history. I remember reading about a guy who was had to get some printing plates smuggled in by submaring, then hike through the jungles for a couple weeks, avoiding Japanese patrolls, and going through the heavy forest just to deliver the plates.

Thanks for posting!

brazil10milreis1926dtl.jpg

brazil10milreis1926.jpg

The vignette of the young lady on this 1926 series of banknotes issued by Caixa de Estabilizacao "Stabilisation Bank" is titled "Reverie" and her image appeared as the central portrait on all of the notes from this series. The Brazilian Reis currency had been in circulation as a unit since 1790, during the era of Portuguese rule. Brazil would subsequently become an empire independent of Portugal and thence a republic in 1889, after which the currency sharply devalued. By the time this note was issued it was worth approximately 80 US cents, and was backed by redemption in gold. Of course as with all paper money - eventually it lost value, with the adoption of the Cruzeiro currency in 1942 and the final demonetisation of the Reis currency in 1955. Since that time Brazil has gone through numerous currency re-valuations where previous currencies quickly lose all value and are called in and replaced.

germany201948dtl.jpg

germany201948.jpg

The currency reform in Germany was brought on by inflation of the old Reichsmark and the need to provide Germany with a stable currency. By 1948 relations betwixt the western powers and the Soviet Union had broken down to the point at which the Soviets were not even included in the planning for the introduction of the new Deutschmark denominated currency beginning in 1948. Curiously the new currency order was initiated on Sunday 20 June by Ludwig Erhard, Director of Economics in the Western Zones of Germany - he chose this day as he was sure the Western Powers(USA, Britain and France) could not countermand his order. Despite his heavy handed step towards German financial independence he succeeded.

The sheer volume of currency being exchanged for the old Reichsmarks necessitated currency coming in from multiple sources, German printers, Banque de France and from America the American Banknote Company and Tudor Press. This 20DM note was printed by American Banknote Company but does not bear their imprint. The vignette is proprietary to this note and is symbolic of industry - with the ubiquitous beehive and the factory in the background. These 1948 dated notes symbolised the nascent rebirth of the German economy - the bold decision by Ludwig Erhard initiated the phenomenal growth in the German economy that would result in Germany rejoining Europe as an economic powerhouse.

I just received this in the mail today. It is a 2008 Jordan 1 Dinar. It is a P-34, my 2010 SCWPM does not have the signature but I am guessing it is a "d" or "e". On the back over laying one of the Camels is a what I would call a “seal” but I am dont know the correct term. Does anyone know the correct term for it? Thank you.

930120B.jpg

930120A.jpg