Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

belgium1000francs1940dtl1.jpg

This note was first issued in 1922, and in 1928 the colours were changed to a dark green on a multicoloured underprinting. The note features this allegory of "Fortuna" on the right of the note.

belgium1000francs1940.jpg

The note features a conjoined vignette of King Albert I and Queen Elisabeth of Belgium. During the 1920's and 1930's the Belgian Franc depreciated precipitiously in value vs other currencies such as the USA dollar and the British sterling, mainly as a result of debts incurred during the WWI German occupation and thence reparations that were only partially paid by the Germans after the cessation of hostilities. After the Germans occupied the country once more in 1940 they had intended to issue a currency meant to replace the Banque Nationale notes, but their plans never came to fruition and the ca. 1922 and onwards currency continued to be used through 1944 when the Allies liberated Belgium and the earlier currencies were withdrawn, demonetised and replaced by currency printed by Thomas De La Rue and Bradbury Wilkinson companies in Britain.

belgium1000francs1940dtl2.jpg

A fascinating aspect of this currency series was that trades were featured on the reverses of the notes, in this case a lacemaker is the subject.

Just got this in the mail and could not wait to show you. A National Commercial Bank of Scotland Limited, 1 Pound from 1959. There is one just like it from the 60's but it is smaller and the tail on the lion is different.

930576B.jpg

930576A.jpg

Curiously these notes used a blending of the 1957 reverse designs from the National Bank of Scotland, coupled with the reverse design of the Commercial Bank of Scotland that was used from 1950 on up to the merger in 1959. The one element that had to change on the Forth Rail Bridge design that was borrowed from the National Bank design was that the ship there had to be moved into the shipping lane! Yes, on the 1957 notes the ship was in the non-shipping lane where it would have foundered in reality. A little goof by the designers at Bradbury Wilkinson.

I collected Scottish banknotes for a number of years before branching into other areas - still have quite a collection and a lot of fascinating stories about them - like the engraver's name surreptitiously in the field on the Royal Bank of Scotland Pound notes from the early 1950's series that he only admitted to having done in the early 1980's.

jtryka nice notes from Belize.

I just received this one. I wanted to get an older version, but this 2006 was more into my budget.

930683B.jpg

930683A.jpg

Then again the vignette's are the same as the older version and by getting the newer version I was able to save enough to pickup this one.

930682B.jpg

930682A.jpg

So no complaints here.

• 2 weeks later...

Bulgaria 100 Leva 1917

bulgaria100leva1917dtl.jpg

bulgaria100leva1917.jpg

Politically Bulgaria has been something of a paradox in foreign relations. The area that is now Bulgaria had been dominated by the Ottoman Empire for several hundred years when with Russia's assistance the nation attained nominal independence in 1878. For that reason Bulgarians had a strong affinity for Russia, curiously the powers in the Bulgarian monarchy seemed to feel differently during times of conflict - often siding with the Germans as in WWI and in WWII.

Up until WWI Bulgarian notes had been printed by Orlov Printing in St. Petersburg Russia - and bore a striking resemblance to contemporary Tsarist Russian notes. The outbreak of WWI and shifting alliances changed all that, resulting in Bulgarian notes either being printed locally or in Germany as this 100 Leva note had been. It was printed by Giesecke & Devrient in Munich and has some of the best printing technique for the time. I have always liked the vignette of the young rural lady that graces this note, she is very emblematic of Bulgaria, and it's strong agricultural tradition. She is also testament to the fact that women in this region are very attractive.

This note has a wonderfully stylised border that is emblematic of a Celtic knot decour. Bulgaria has a very long history, as Maroneia and later Thrace and certainly the pattern in the border aludes to that early history of the region. This note promises to pay the bearer the sum of 100 Leva in gold coin, a huge sum of money then roughly equivalent to $20 in US currency at the time, but shortly after this note was issued it was rendered nearly valueless as the gold option lapsed and the Lev currency lost much of it's value at the cessation of WWI.

• 2 weeks later...