Guest Aidan Work

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Jtryka!

MauMau - Nice notes there - As far as I know, that Algerian note is the only one that depicts Cave Art on it. And one can hardly go wrong with any Swiss note - The creature on front is fascinating... Any clue what it is? Werewolf? If so, I'd have to get it!

:bthumbsup::bthumbsup:

Thanks Jtryka!

MauMau - Nice notes there - As far as I know, that Algerian note is the only one that depicts Cave Art on it. And one can hardly go wrong with any Swiss note - The creature on front is fascinating... Any clue what it is? Werewolf? If so, I'd have to get it!

:bthumbsup::bthumbsup:

ty :)

i just went thru more investigation

on the front there is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conrad_Gessner

Conrad Gessner a Swiss naturalist and bibliographer.

he wrote five-volume Historiae animalium (1551-1558) is considered the beginning of modern zoology,

if you check Google Images uner his name :

http://www.google.fi/images?q=conrad%20gesner&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

you will see standard creatures to fantasy ones :)

this is a close up for u ;)

i would say, it looks like a monkey (what kind?) not known in europe in those ages, where explorers tell stories and light descriptions and possibly alterating the agressivity (or non aggr.)'long scary nails, devil face' of that specie

so that the writer makes it more scary and fantasize(?) a bit

the babies on his back may look like squirrels, but monkey babyies use to go in the back of their moms

something like

http://travel.3yen.com/wp-content/images/714px-japanese_macaque.jpg

you know in the past, what was unknown was often painted-draw as a monster or beast

a 1500 representation of a screaming beast of the far away forest behind the hell's mountains :)

werewhat.jpg

Ah, I can see it clearly now! Thanks for the close up! Yes, Quite like the ancient works and those of Pliny the Elder when he wrote about the worlds Natural History... filled with scary things the farther away from the Mediterranean. I've seen some strange creatures on Portuguese notes when they had their Explorer Series - Quite something those notes!

Thanks!

My Bermuda Note came in today so happy :clapping: collection complete :clapping:

29vkxg1.jpgrtm7i8.jpg

Congrats DF! Now all you need to do is expand to old/new/specialized currency collecting and the hunt will never be over. :)

No thanks im done the only way i'll start back up again is with the following

there's a new country with new currency or a current country changes currency

Good news then: you're still in the game! You'll need to consult this site every once in a while though! http://www.banknotenews.com/

Tajikistan, Mexico, Mauritania, Congo DR, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Hong Kong, etc. ... should keep you in the game somwhat, eh?

Good news then: you're still in the game! You'll need to consult this site every once in a while though! http://www.banknotenews.com/

Tajikistan, Mexico, Mauritania, Congo DR, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Hong Kong, etc. ... should keep you in the game somwhat, eh?

thanks but no thanks like i said i'm done. the only way i'll start back up is for those countries change the currency to a diff one

example Congo DR uses Franc changes to schilling system

I agree with Dave DF, don't let the "pokémon syndrome" stop you from collecting. You may have one from each country but you are very far from getting everything available. Specialize my friend, specialize. :)

Fair enough, it is your choice after all. I would like to ask however; what made you decide to collect them in the first place? As in...what was the spark?

it would be nice, some kind of competition OR other threads like ' Animal Notes ' (more like Inflation Currency(minimum 6 zeroes), Queen and Kings, Buildings, and 1 million more different themes :P

here's my 3 latest (2 are cheap, but Liberia highest value is cheap anyway, Jugoslavia note i wanted it to remember a note i was gifted when i was 12, the same note but very circulated, then gave away, now bought for little in Unc) and Iran

now i have 2 new countries in my collection: Liberia and Iran, while Jugoslavia goes under Serbia :P

50 Dollars 2008 - Liberia :

928613A.jpg

( i liked more the red 50 than the green 100 ) 100$ = 1 €

100.000 Dinars 1989 - Jugoslavia :

928616A.jpg

( Pre war sample, inflation, gifted when i was a child, much circulated, now got it back in unc, i loved this note )

100.000 Rials 2010 - Iran :

928614A.jpg

(back)

928614B.jpg

2 more notes to come shortly

One of the nicer designs, from an interesting place with a fascinating history:

saltspringdollarsfr.jpg

saltspringdollarsrv.jpg

These are from Salt Spring Island BC, an island with a population of approximately 10.000 people south of Victoria Island in British Columbia. These notes have been issued in fairly small quantities since 2001 and feature designs by local artists featuring individuals from the island.

Fascinating, SM!! I just spent a 3 day weekend with 6 cousins from Salt Spring Island! I need to email them and see if they can fetch me some of these!

Specimen banknote, actually noted as "Presentation" by National Bank of Ukraine:

presentatsiynaukrainii4k2.jpg

This features portrait of Ukraine Nationalist Panteleymon Kulish. This note has variable optical inks, and spark technology which will likely be incorporated in new Ukraine notes issued in future.

Specimen banknote, actually noted as "Presentation" by National Bank of Ukraine:

presentatsiynaukrainii4k2.jpg

This features portrait of Ukraine Nationalist Panteleymon Kulish. This note has variable optical inks, and spark technology which will likely be incorporated in new Ukraine notes issued in future.

A beautiful note!! No denomination?