CoinPeople.com

Elverno - cheap but fun!

elverno

1791 Louis XVI, France.

966684.jpg

Hennin 239 - 24mm - Details

I collected this because it was clearly a different obverse die from my other examples of H. 239. In fact all three of mine use the same reverse and three different obverse:

917843.jpg

900284.jpg

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1791 Louis XVI, France.

966684.jpg

Hennin 239 - 24mm - Details

I collected this because it was clearly a different obverse die from my other examples of H. 239. In fact all three of mine use the same reverse and three different obverse:

917843.jpg

900284.jpg

One heck of a nose on that guy.

I read once that kings were expected to have a big schnoz. I'm not sure why, maybe something along the line of big feet, big ... :ninja:

1794 ½ Penny Token

966962.jpg

D&H 31 Suffolk, Haverhill - Details - 29mm

1803 Penny token (Staffordshire, Stafford), Great Britain.

967043.jpg

35mm - Details - D&H 5

A slight upgrade from my previous version of this token.

1792 Louis XVI, France.

967255.jpg

19.5mm - Details - Hennin 386 variant

When Hennin compiled his work in the 1820s he wrote that for most medals of the period that variants existed. He further stated that he would only identify the ones that were clearly identifiable and would not bother with most jetons. This jeton is one of those latter cases. Hennin 386 has all the major elements you see above; obverse Louis XVI facing right with the standard legend and the reverse a tree,the suns rays shining on it the legend PRIRO MORIRO.

So this is either a knockoff of H. 386 by one of Reich's rivals or, he assigned the work of making a copy to the "B" team (apprentice engravers). If this latter is the case the person who did the work on the reverse was definitely superior.

Any significance to the tree?

Offhand I'm not certain though several pieces from 1792 feature Louis XVI and trees or gardens.

1791 George III advertising token, Great Britain.

967677.jpg

Details

These were produced for dozens of firms in incredible quantities. So far as I know they could be produced to this very day. I've seen pieces advertising pens from the 1940s and it is common to find 20 or so at a time sold in lots on eBay. I have a couple of reasons to believe this might be contemporary, one is the hole. This would indicate that it was worn for a time and there's hardly any point in that past about 1820. The second reason is the bust. The obverse on this piece is near identical with dozens of others produced by Kettle during the Regency period but it doesn't appear to have been struck from an aging die. I got this in a very nice lot of, frankly, crappy looking jetons all dating from the same period. There are at least three variants I haven't seen before in the lot so I was very happy to pick the group up cheaply. :ninja:

This is the kind of thing I would put the "Why we collect." thread. The history behind the coins. :ninja:

Yeah, can't escape my original impulse to become a history teacher I guess. ;)

Offhand I'm not certain though several pieces from 1792 feature Louis XVI and trees or gardens.

1791 George III advertising token, Great Britain.

967677.jpg

Details

These were produced for dozens of firms in incredible quantities. So far as I know they could be produced to this very day. I've seen pieces advertising pens from the 1940s and it is common to find 20 or so at a time sold in lots on eBay. I have a couple of reasons to believe this might be contemporary, one is the hole. This would indicate that it was worn for a time and there's hardly any point in that past about 1820. The second reason is the bust. The obverse on this piece is near identical with dozens of others produced by Kettle during the Regency period but it doesn't appear to have been struck from an aging die. I got this in a very nice lot of, frankly, crappy looking jetons all dating from the same period. There are at least three variants I haven't seen before in the lot so I was very happy to pick the group up cheaply. :ninja:

They were often used as watch fob decorations hence so many are found holed.

I should doubt many were worn as they could easily be spotted as not being a guinea.Real guineas are blighted by solder and traces where the mounts were.

c. 1815 Alexander the Great, German States

968017.jpg

21mm - slightly elongated

I date this to approximately 1815 because of the "fad" that made Alexander I of Russia into the savior of Europe. There was actually little evidence that qualified him for the role, though he believed it implicitly. The Lauer on the reverse worked until the 1850s though so it's certainly possible to date as late as that. I don't own the Mitchiner volume that covers Nuremburg so perhaps more precise dating could be found there.

Because I can't definitely date it to the period I don't tend to put pieces like this up on my website. If I ever move it from a gut feeling to something backed with some evidence then it'll show up there. Of course that criteria hasn't stopped me in the past but I make no pretense at being consistent. :ninja:

1795 20 Soldi, Sardinia.

968331.jpg

26.5mm - Details

A decent example of one of those coins where the design seemed to wear off just from someone looking at it.

1791 Louis XVI, France.

968380.jpg

20mm - Details - Hennin 278 variant

Reich produced remarkably beautiful medals in his time. I can only speculate that this variant was the work of an apprentice. It was rolled.

1791 Louis XVI, France.

968380.jpg

20mm - Details - Hennin 278 variant

Reich produced remarkably beautiful medals in his time. I can only speculate that this variant was the work of an apprentice. It was rolled.

I like this one despite the obvious flaws. Gives it more character.

1793 1 Pfennig, Frankfurt.

968438.jpg

21mm - Details

A pretty common coin so the reverse condition means that this will act as a filler until I find a better one.

1797 2 Penny, Great Britain

968453.jpg

41mm - Details

This was pretty cheap, about $25 so I finally acquired one of the heaviest circulating coins of all time. Someone decided to chop up Britannia's legs. You have to wonder sometimes...

1804 Le couronnement, France

968676.jpg

25mm - Details

Actually produced by the German firm of Lauer and has the originally announced coronation date. It was delayed a week or so because the Pope was delayed crossing the Alps in winter. Quite common and collected only because it was part of a lot. Ended up costing $2 though. :ninja:

• 1 month later...
Very nice additions. I've got a few of the 2 penny coins that are barely distinguishable from a plain copper disk.

I read a contemporary diary describing how a man made a rope harness to help hold the weight. It had the added benefit of making it tough to pick his pocket!