• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1795 3 Kreuzer, Wurzburg

Death of Bishop Franz Ludwig

921032.jpg

20.5mm Link

These little 3 kreuzer pieces were issued throughout the 18th century when the Bishops passed away.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice piece. Elegant design.

Thanks, I like pieces like this one. Cornwallis is particularly interesting to me because of his disaster at Yorktown and then later showing up as a diplomat.

Nice :ninja:

Thanks. Weird color though isn't it? At first I thought it might be a copper counterfeit but the weight's correct. Almost like it lived part of its life in a cigar smoker's collection... ;)

Thanks. Weird color though isn't it? At first I thought it might be a copper counterfeit but the weight's correct. Almost like it lived part of its life in a cigar smoker's collection... :ninja:

From what I've read a lot of "strange" colors come about because the metal used in the planchetts wasn't produced to exacting standards and so there are contaminents present to start.

1811 1 Penny token, Great Britain

922440.jpg

36mm Link

Like the 1797 cartwheels these private penny tokens weighed in at an ounce of copper. They're really too heavy to carry more than a few in your pockets, at least without pulling your pants down.