elverno

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1796 40 Reis, Brazil

929430.jpg

41mm Link

The undated counterstamp on the obverse is from the 1809 revaluation of Portuguese money, particularly Brazilian. In this case the coin was changed from 40 to 80 reis. Notice the old collector's ink inventory number on the obverse.

Beautiful medal. The sentence on the reverse is a bit weird syntactically. He says "Nur Euch zu schützen will ich mit diesem mich rüsten". "Only you to protect i want with this arm me". would be the word for word translation. Does he mean the "Reich" with "with this"?

Frankly the German made limited sense to me. AltaVista translates it as "ONLY I WANT YOU TO CONTACTORS WITH THIS ME PREPARATION". Given the symbols I took it to mean that the new king was asking all the people of Prussia to assist him in his new efforts. That was totally a guess of course since that translation is somewhat nonsensical in English.

:ninja: The online translations rock!

Well, I think he means, that by arming himself with the Reich he only wants to protect the people. The lower portion of the coin reads: Das Reich erhalten den 16 November 1797. That means: The Reich (Empire) received on the 16th November 1797. I guess there is a single context behind those two lines. The syntax is horrible tho. ;)

It could of course also mean all the things the person on the coin has around him. The glorious history of the holy roman empire (Roman helmet) and the past before that (Greek helmet, the rod of Asklepios, a Greek shield, a Lyre... The rest I cannot recognize). Maybe they had managed to create a connection between their family (or the Reich) and ancient Rome (through the Holy Roman Empire)/ Greece (Don't know how... Maybe over Aeneas, who fled to Rome. I think this connection had been used by the French at some point.) . I don't really know my way around Preussen and how they used history and mythology at the time.

Some nice insights though. The date is when his father died and Frederick William III (Friedrich Wilhelm III) became king. I've always loved Loos' work and try to pick up everything by him I can. Unfortunately I don't have a specific reference, besides Forrer, for his body of work. In fact Forrer actually refers to this medal as The Death of Frederick William II, though I think it perhaps has more to do with the son.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
17.5 mm is so tiny!

I particularly like tiny coins and medals.

1863 50th Anniversary of the Battle of Leipzig, German States

966560.jpg

27mm - Details

Made from cannonballs picked up on the battlefield.

I particularly like tiny coins and medals.

1863 50th Anniversary of the Battle of Leipzig, German States

966560.jpg

27mm - Details

Made from cannonballs picked up on the battlefield.

That's pretty cool!

And welcome back. :ninja:

That's pretty cool!

And welcome back. :ninja:

Thanks!

1810 Marriage of Napoleon I and Marie Louise, France

966584.jpg

15mm - Details

Quite common as silver Napoleonic medals go.

1807 3 Kreuzer, Bavaria.

966668.jpg

18mm - Details

Not a great example but you don't see these show up that often in the States.

From the old days when Bavaria was spelled with i, Baiern - now Bayern.

Small real currency of those days is always worn. Except those few forgotten or lost pieces from the upper class.

1791 Louis XVI, France

966674.jpg

Hennin 245 - 24mm - Details

I bought this thinking it might have been a die variant but once I had it in hand it was clearly a worn version of this:

917884.jpg