CoinPeople.com

Elverno - cheap but fun!

elverno

1795 2 Pfenning, Salzburg.

985661.jpg

20.5mm

The links on the size above lead you to my website with much bigger pics. And each of the picture has one size larger by clicking on it...

I really like copper from the Revolution and Napoleonic eras since it's more likely to have passed through the hands of all classes.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1789 20 Kreutzer, Austria.

985657.jpg

28mm

As usual the bust on Austrian money of the era seldom is more than a silhouette after it has circulated for even the shortest period of time. The 20 kreutzer is a nice type ro collect because it was struck for so many years in decent quantities and by several mints.

1815 1 Duit (or Dute), Netherlands East Indies.

985753.jpg

22mm

I'm guessing this was a transitional piece where the mint was unaware that the Batavian Republic hadn't been restored after the end of the Wars. If anyone has more information about this period in the East Indies I'd love to read about it. Also a Krause reference. I couldn't find it in my 4th edition 1801-1900. I know its there I just couldn't find it. Finally is that an H or a K on the reverse?

In my 4th edition Krause 1801-1900 (I know I ought to get a newer one!) these are not listed, that's not because they are rare but because Krause forgot to include them....

Going further back in time prior to the reorganisation of the database they were listed as KM#279, Duit, 1815H - Amsterdam Mint.

In my 4th edition Krause 1801-1900 (I know I ought to get a newer one!) these are not listed, that's not because they are rare but because Krause forgot to include them....

Going further back in time prior to the reorganisation of the database they were listed as KM#279, Duit, 1815H - Amsterdam Mint.

Great thanks for the info. Also, I'm glad it was missing and not that my brain had finally stopped functioning...

1827 Death of Frederick Duke of York, Great Britain.

985789.jpg

25mm - BHM 1291 - CC

While this is a very common medal this particular example is an upgrade from the first I posted.:

960564.jpg

To be fair the cr-p one above is probably the RRR silvered brass version. :)

1816 1 Thaler, Bavaria

985656.jpg

41mm

Holed of course. Which is why it cost me about bullion price. Plus the face that it's the most common year for the type with over 2 million struck.

Looks like one of Sweeney Todd's victims(he finished them off with a cut-throat razor) the obverse would look better rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise so the blood flow is on the floor.

985656a.jpg

I suspect I maybe watching too many forensic dramas on TV.

Great deal & still a most attractive coin with character, somethings look better with age.

1796 1/48 Thaler, Anhalt-Bernburg

985802.jpg

16.5mm

More common is a bear walking on a wall as a symbol for this duchy. This is the last year for this four year design.

• 2 weeks later...

1793 Death of Louis XVI, France.

986170.jpg

24.5mm Hennin 482

A slightly different reverse design from what you normally see. This has two long garlands draped from the urn. Or perhaps it's just one?

IMG_2845.jpgIMG_2846.jpg

The reverse on this appears to be the same as on your #484 Vern(which matches the drawing in Hennin), but the obverse portrait and the spacing between FR. & ET is quite different. It is not in Hennin, so I assume it is just an unlisted variant of 484, as the only other one of the SOL REGNI ABIIT not having ROI or REX after XVI on the obverse is #485 & it does not have(according to Hennin) IETTON in the exergue, unless of course it is a mule of #485 obverse(not illustrated, just "similar to previous") & #484 reverse

975599.jpg

Any thoughts?

1814 The Peace of Paris, Great Britain.

986274.jpg

25mm BHM 806 supposedly R in brass

In my experience this piece featuring Alexander I of Russia is probably more rare in copper.

• 1 month later...

1797 1 Solidus, South Prussia.

987680.jpg

16mm

A coin that could be placed under Poland (Krause does in the 3rd edition) but issued by Prussia. Poland was partitioned by its neighbors in hte 1790s and South Prussia was part of Prussia's "take". Russia and Austria were the other bad neighbors...