CoinPeople.com

Elverno - cheap but fun!

elverno

Re: rounding of wear, maybe it isn't wear and it's just the flow of the metal on a worn die?

Which brings me to my next question: since the dies for many of these medals and coins didn't have long lives, what errors and varieties that we see in modern (think late 1800s US) coins won't exist on dies with short lives?

In other words, since heath care and veterinary care is so good these days, we're seeing new diseases and complications because humans/pets have never lived this long before! What "diseases and complications" are not seen on short lived dies?

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: rounding of wear, maybe it isn't wear and it's just the flow of the metal on a worn die?

Which brings me to my next question: since the dies for many of these medals and coins didn't have long lives, what errors and varieties that we see in modern (think late 1800s US) coins won't exist on dies with short lives?

In other words, since heath care and veterinary care is so good these days, we're seeing new diseases and complications because humans/pets have never lived this long before! What "diseases and complications" are not seen on short lived dies?

That's an interesting question. I'm wondering if anyone has really investigated this and has an answer.

I've seen the phenomenon of metal being pulled from one side to fill in the design on the other. It seems to have happened a lot with relatively high relief designs and thin planchets.

1813 ½ Kreuzer, Württemberg.

992815.jpg

13mm

A tiny billon coin (about 15% silver). For me this has been a tough piece to find though it's not like I was actively asking dealers about it.

One of the things I enjoy about coins from that era is the obvious wear. These items were used and used and used. It's fun to think of all the things they may have purchased and all the people who may have had them.

Like for coins to me this issue it´s the same with other people or potential friends: I prefer some "wear".

I´m very suspicious of the perfect looking, faultless ones without some abrasive experience and obvious "wear".

;)

Part of being extremely cheap is avoiding paying extra for so called pristine coins. (I admit that I do have one MS70 rated coin in my collection :grin:)

Part of being extremely cheap is avoiding paying extra for so called pristine coins. (I admit that I do have one MS70 rated coin in my collection :grin:)

Amen to that. I don't collect US coins actively so I admit I have a prejudice about slabs in general. But that would probably change if I did collect US... :)

I love a near perfect coin as much as the next person, but I'm not tied to it since virtually everything I get is 200+ years.

• 2 weeks later...

1791 Louis XVI, France.

993958.jpg

24mm

Hennin 245 var.

I only bought this because I found one of these on eBay with a BIN price of $399.99. The woman who was selling it stole my images, description and probably would have stolen my underwear if it were possible.

When I called her on it she told me I was a liar and needed to get a life. Her rationale? The text was primarily in French and I didn't speak French according to my eBay profile. :)

Since we couldn't come to an agreement on this I put a personal, rather offensive message, on the web page and invited her to revisit it. She never did apologize but did ask if I wanted to buy the jeton (that would be my 4th) for the BIN price of $400 and $12 shipping. I explained that if I couldn't find another example for less than $10 including shipping then I wasn't seriously trying.

So for your edification and hers, $8 total. :P

1789 Paolo, Tuscany.

994057.jpg

24mm

My first piece from Tuscany. I think it has the perfect amount of wear, not enough to make me pass on it and enough to allow me to afford it. :)

I think it's finally hitting me why I see so many designs from the same era.... Germany wasn't Germany yet, necessitating for a zoo's worth of designs across the kingdoms and principalities.

I think it's finally hitting me why I see so many designs from the same era.... Germany wasn't Germany yet, necessitating for a zoo's worth of designs across the kingdoms and principalities.

Yeah, "Germany" as such had literally hundreds of independent rulers, almost all of whom felt it necessary to issue a coin or two. Italy was much the same but not nearly as many places to collect as the German States. Larger places like Saxony issued tons of different denominations over centuries and others perhaps a single coin issue in a generation. Makes it fun! :)

What is the Holy Grail series or set to have in the land of the German States?

Can you tell that you've stumped me? I never thought of it before. The number of places, mints, years is so large the I've just randomly picked things up over the years. So, you started a new project; I'm putting together a page with as many of the coin producing states as I can find from the period 1789-1815 and will build new linked pages to those that I've collected at least one example from. The first major re-organization of my site in years frankly.

Can you tell that you've stumped me? I never thought of it before. The number of places, mints, years is so large the I've just randomly picked things up over the years. So, you started a new project; I'm putting together a page with as many of the coin producing states as I can find from the period 1789-1815 and will build new linked pages to those that I've collected at least one example from. The first major re-organization of my site in years frankly.

Interesting project. Can't wait for the results. :bthumbsup:

1808 3 Kreuzer, Wurzburg.

994224.jpg

18mm

I discovered while putting this on my site that there were two varieties of 3 Kreuzer issued by Wurzburg in 1808. One was billon and the other silver. Interesting enough the billon is mentioned as being 21mm in size and no mention of the silver size. So one could infer that the smaller coins must be the silver ones. Yet Krause says the reverse should have the value and G. W. L. M.

So do I have two undersize billon pieces or is my Krause totally whacked (scientific numismatic term)? 4th Edition BTW, p.495.

1809 ¼ Guilder, Essequebo & Demarary.

994355.jpg

Don't expect better pics on my site. This thing is definitely a filler, quite scarce but waiting for a better cousin.