CoinPeople.com

Elverno - cheap but fun!

elverno

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some toning but as with most of the coins I collect it's accidental when I get a really nice example. I've got some spectacular medals I haven't photographed yet so keep an eye on Exonumia... ;)

Withers #15 34mm 18.7g grained edge ///// die axis 0 C

#15a 34mm 19.0g grained edge ///// die axis 12 VC

#15b 35mm 25.2g centre grained edge \\\\\ die axis 12 RRR

S Whitchurch and W. Dore, engraver Peter Wyon Davis#74

Samuel T. Whitchurch; After voyaging around the world as a youth he joined the Royal Navy, saw active duty on Monmouth during the war of American Independence. He was in charge of signals on Grafton under captain Collingwood. On Alert he saw action against the Dutch off Dogger Bank in 1781. In 1782 he served under Collingwood again against the French in the West Indies, where he was severely wounded. Returning home to Bath he entered business as a ironmonger & brazier at number 3 Bridge Street and prospered. In 1796 he moved the business to 26 Market Place(now the High street) he died Christmas day 1817.

William Dore; Was a hatter, hosier, mercer & draper of 24 Market Place & along with Whitchurch was a subscriber to the Union Bluecoat School to educate 30 boys from 7 to 14 in Christian principles. In 1809 he was one of the overseers for the parish of St. Peter & St. Paul. He sold his business in 1813 and retired to Weston near Bath where he erected a new school. Later he was a partner in the Bath City Bank(1815-22), later still the proprieter of the White Lion Hotel Market Place, Bath. In 1819 he became the High Constable of Bath.

1790 Duit, Netherlands (Utrecht)

987814.jpg

22mm

Strangely enough in all the years I've collected my theme this is only the 2nd coin I've picked up from the home provinces. I count the VOC coins in Netherlands East Indies. Does anyone know why they issued duits in silver as well? I assume they must have been physically smaller (didn't see a picture in Krause).

1815 1 Rapen, Canton of Schwyz.

987815.jpg

17mm

A decent enough example, apparently Schwyz issued these with quite a variety of designs. I've only seen this one however... :)

Nice stuff Vern. You've got quite a nice collection.

Thanks Art. I'm pickier with the medals than the coins though I'll collect a rare filler in the medals.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope this is a new coin contribution that might fit into your post:

ADKu02n.jpg

Stralsund mint in Pomerania, 1806 AD., Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden, 3 Pfenninge, KM 422.

3 Pfenninge (22 mm / 2,68 g), mintage 384.000 ,

Obv.: K. S. P. L. M. , (Königlich Schwedische Pommersche Land-Münze) , crowned griffin standing on baseline covered with vegetation, holding sword to l.

Rev.: 3 / PFEN / NINGE / 1806 , value (number between rosettes) and year.

KM 422 .

from wikipedia: Following the death of Bogislaw XIV, Duke of Pomerania without issue in 1637, control was disputed between Sweden and Brandenburg-Prussia - which had previously held reversion to the Duchy. The Peace of Westphalia in 1648 enforced a partition into a Hither or Western and a Further or Eastern Pomerania. The exact frontier was decided in the Treaty of Stettin (1653). Sweden received Hither or Western Pomerania with Stettin (Swedish Pomerania). Farther Pomerania passed to Brandenburg-Prussia. In the negotiations between France, Brandenburg, and Sweden following the Northern War the Brandenburg diplomats Joachim Friedrich von Blumenthal and his son Christoph Caspar obtained the rights of succession for Brandenburg, though the argument with Sweden, especially over Hither Pomerania, continued to the end of the 17th century and beyond, until the Treaty of Stockholm in 1720. Stettin and Western Pomerania up to the Peene river (Altvorpommern) became part of Brandenberg-Prussia following the end of the Great Northern War in 1720.

Western Pomerania north of the Peene river (Neuvorpommern) remained a dominion of the Swedish Crown from 1648 until 1815.

After Prussia lost the Battle of Jena-Auerstedt in late 1806, French troops marched north into the Pomeranian province. Fortified Stettin surrendered without battle, and the province became occupied by the French forces. Only fortified Kolberg resisted, and the French laid a siege in March 1807. Ferdinand von Schill was among the defendants. The siege was not successful and was lifted only when Prussia surrendered to Napoleon Bonaparte in the Peace of Tilsit on July 2.

Napoleonic occupation also thwarted Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden's plans to construct a fortified port city on Rügen, Gustavia. Constructions had begun in 1806, but the unfinished town was levelled by the French forces already in the following year.

The terms of surrender included high war contributions (25,000,000 Taler from the Province of Pomerania alone). The agreed on withdrawal of the French troops was delayed repeatedly. In November 1808, the French troops left the province except for Stettin, which forced the provincial government to move to Stargard in 1809. The Kriegs- und Domänenkammer was renamed Royal-Prussian government ("Königlich Preußische Regierung").

In 1812, French troops invaded Swedish Pomerania, and also occupied Prussian Pomerania again. The Prussian troops took quarter in Kolberg. After Ludwig Yorck von Wartenburg, who commanded a Prussian corps with a significant Pomeranian share, had left the coalition with France in the Convention of Tauroggen of December 30, 1812, the Prussian military called the Pomeranians to arms in February 1813. Also in February, Russian troops reached Farther Pomerania. In March, all French forces left Pomerania, except for Stettin, which was held by the French until December 5, 1813. After the war, Prussia after diplomatic efforts of Karl August von Hardenberg in the Congress of Vienna gained Swedish Pomerania by paying 2,6 million Taler to Denmark and granting her the Duchy of Lauenburg, and paying an additional 3,5 million Taler to Sweden on June 7, 1815. On October 23, Swedish Pomerania was merged into the Prussian province, both now constituting the Province of Pomerania.

After Napoleon's break-up of the Holy Roman Empire in 1806, the Western Part was the member of the German Confederation. After foundation of the German Empire of 1871, the whole of Pomerania was included into the newly created state.

:art:

• 3 months later...