d'Essling 1049

Milan 455

916709.jpg

32mm Link

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the 1812 Thaler, it has character.

Yeah, this is what it's an upgrade from:

901796.jpg

They're tiny things and this second one, worn nearly flat, is how most of them survived.

Nice coins, elverno! :ninja:

What camera setup did you use for the dime and the half dollar, BTW?

Thanks! ;) Silver coins are my nemesis. In fact I use the same setup for all the photos I take. I'll try to get a picture of it one of these days but basically I have a professional camera stand (a birthday present from my wife). The coins rest on a piece of glass, supported on both sides by CD cases about 90mm above the platform. I use a single light, typically positioned at about the 12 o'clock or 1 o'clock above the lens. Recently I've started experimenting with using macro lenses rather than the macro mode of the camera.

All that said I'm never satisfied with the color of the silver coins I photograph. The half does not show the reflective surfaces well and the white balance is too yellow I think. On the dime I've overcompensated the white balance and ended up with something too blue in tinge. The actual coin is a natural, though not blast, white.

The Charlotte medal in contrast is exactly the right colors and shot with exactly the same environment. Go figure...

Thanks! ;) Silver coins are my nemesis. In fact I use the same setup for all the photos I take. I'll try to get a picture of it one of these days but basically I have a professional camera stand (a birthday present from my wife). The coins rest on a piece of glass, supported on both sides by CD cases about 90mm above the platform. I use a single light, typically positioned at about the 12 o'clock or 1 o'clock above the lens. Recently I've started experimenting with using macro lenses rather than the macro mode of the camera.

Interesting approach -- eliminating the background entirely by using an elevated glass platform, so to speak. When you say "macro lens", does this mean that you use a SLR camera? For the moment, I'm doing OK with my Nikon CoolPix 5900 (i.e. cheapie) camera, but I am finding out its limitations -- these become fairly obvious when you start taking pictures of dimes, for example. Your dime photo came out quite realistic; I'm jealous! :ninja:

All that said I'm never satisfied with the color of the silver coins I photograph. The half does not show the reflective surfaces well and the white balance is too yellow I think. On the dime I've overcompensated the white balance and ended up with something too blue in tinge. The actual coin is a natural, though not blast, white.

The Charlotte medal in contrast is exactly the right colors and shot with exactly the same environment. Go figure...

I also have had the best luck, color-wise, shooting copper and bronze coins. I think that the inevitable toning seems to give the camera software more to "chew on", so to speak, and there is some internal color adjustment there that we have little or no control over in most cameras (at least this is my theory why it is so). Anyway, with silver coins in good condition, we have mostly gray shades to work with (i.e. little or no toning, perhaps some gray patina). With coppers, there is a more natural spread which makes it easier for the camera software to adjust properly.

Thanks for the insight into your photo shooting! ;)

1807 Commissaires priseurs à Paris, France.

Bramsen 699

d'Essling 2109

Edwards 316

Milan 624

917045.jpg

33mm Link

This is a jeton de presence by the auctioneers of Paris. ;)

A filler only because of the hole. :ninja:

I've replaced the 1986 Statue of Liberty pics with, in my opinion, better color than the original conversation. By the way, I'm currently using an Olympus C5050 digital camera, one of their older models. I hope to upgrade to an SLR digital for my next major non-numismatic purchase. But I just bought a new safe and a new server so the camera's gonna have to wait... :ninja:

Another BTW. What drugs was the designer of the reverse of the SOL half on? I had the hardest time lining that coin up; there are two distinct horizons (or ground lines at least) happening so I compromised by lining up the bottom of the legend letters. (U on United and final A on America).

c. 1814 Alexander I and General Wittgenstein, Russia.

917137.jpg

25mm Link

Wittgenstein was a Russian general of Prussian descent. Because of his ancestry he tended to be blamed for Russian losses if he was one of the generals present on the battlefield. He fought against the Poles and the Turks in his early career and was present from Austerlitz to Bar-sur-Aube in 1814 where he was severely wounded.

1797 1/3 Guinea, Great Britain.

Counterfeit

917169.jpg

17mm Link

The guy on eBay called this an "interesting token" but anyone with a Krause can tell that this gilt brass piece was a counterfeit.