CoinPeople.com

Elverno - cheap but fun!

elverno

1798 1 Pfenning, Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel

917763.jpg

20mm Link

Though this is a common coin the year 1798 is oddly difficult for me to collect.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
1814 1 Heller, Lippe-Detmold

Horrible cleaning.

A neat coin nevertheless. I like the simplicity of the design.

Yeah, that was called the Rose of Lippe I believe. I like coins from there but they're usually in horrible shape or way out of my price range... :ninja:

c. 1790 Joseph II, Austria

918779.jpg

20.5mm Link

This was probably engraved by E. L. S. Lauer who worked from 1783 to 1829. Since Joseph died in early 1790 this could be a death jeton as it features the "Tree of Life".

1844 Mort du général Bertrand, France.

Bramsen 2014 var.

918789.jpg

25mm Link

These twelve sided death jetons for Bertrand were produced in a remarkable number of variants considering he was a relatively minor figure of the Napoleonic era.

1844 Mort du général Bertrand, France.

Bramsen 2014 var.

918789.jpg

25mm Link

These twelve sided death jetons for Bertrand were produced in a remarkable number of variants considering he was a relatively minor figure of the Napoleonic era.

That is in gorgeous shape! :ninja:

Thanks guys. I'm amazed that something as fragile as the surface of a coin or medal can survive in such remarkable shape. I had no idea the number of variants of the Bertrand pieces there were since Bramsen only lists two. I've got five! :ninja:

1792 Capture of Frankfurt an Mayn, Frankfurt

Hennin 378

918947.jpg

27mm Link

In October of 1792 the French had occupied Frankfurt with a couple of battalions and moved on against the Allies. In early December a larger force of Prussians and Hessians took the city by storm. This was at a cost of about 200 men for each side as well as about 1,100 French captured. It was a bad year for the Allies with very few victories. As a result, what would have been a minor battle ended up being commemorated by no less than three medals and jetons, of which this was one.

1801 2 Soldi, Subalpine Republic

918980.jpg

27mm Link

This is the 5th of these I've collected. It's really tough to find one in decent shape.