CoinPeople.com

How long?

Ætheling

Hum... I started around the same time too... but I guess around 10 years for me. :ninja: Although I have been more seriously active for the last 5 years or so ;)

I think out of all those years 1996-2000 was my quiet period, 1998 particularly so.

But then i repicked up the hobby in late 1999 (i had been buying in the late 90s but it was only every 6 or 7 months). Then in 2000 i suddenly went into explosion mode.

My Wonderful Grandma started my collection before I was even born (Uncirc and proof mint sets dating back to the 60s). I started activly collecting and buying coins on Jan 26th 2005 becasue I purchased a "Off Set Lincoln Memorial Penny" for WAY! to much and told myself I would never let that happen again so I started teaching myself about coins... The rest is history.

-Bobby

I started my first actual collection in Oct 1954 for my birthday. Prior to that I helped my mother with her collection and my older brother with his (he was always delighted -- NOT!).

My first official coin was a Canadian Large Cent. I don't remember the year. Since my mother collected everything and my older brother collected US Coins and Stamps, I had to choose something else. Coins = Canada - cheap and readily available. When I did stamps, I started with Ghana at the end of 1957 - their year of independence.

:ninja:

On and off since I was a kid. My Dad introduced collecting to me when I was young. I kind of got away from it some after he died. Then went active again in the early 90's then went dormant again. Been seriously active again since last summer.

Since 1958.

I got interested in the 'new' Lincoln Memorial reverse for the cent. I was 10 and, through stamp collecting, was watching for the commemorative stamps coming out for Lincoln's 150th anniversary of birth. Some article [probably in the Dallas Morning News] mentioned the change for the cent and I got interested.

What really hooked me was when my best friend's dad [a long time nummismatist] took a look at my family's 'heirloom' coin. Ya' know, every family has at least one. It may be from Gran'pa's world tour courtesy Uncle Sam's disagreement with Adolph, Benito and Hirohito in the early 1940's, or Dad's visit to SE Asia in the '60's and '70's in the attempt to make the world safe for dominos. Or whatever...

Our family's coin was one of Gran'ma's dollars which survived a house fire in 1918. She had sold the eggs that day and the money was in her dresser. After the fire, they sifted the ashes and found the dollars and never spent them. In the early 1950's, Gran'ma and Gran'pa decided to give one to each of their children.

As it turned out, my dad got the 1889-CC.

And now you know the '...rest of the story...'

Whohah Wrote:

"Since 1958.

I got interested in the 'new' Lincoln Memorial reverse for the cent. I was 10"

I was 5 in 1959, when each one of us got a shiny new memorial cent from our kindergarten teacher. Even at age 5, it intrigued me that there could be "different" money. Dimes with the lady on it (mercs) and dimes with the man on it (roosies). Along about 1962, I got my first Morgan dollar from the bank. After a few Morgans from the bank (at the rate of one every month or two) I got my first Redbook. Been hooked ever since.

Bruce

Guest Stujoe

I was introduced to and started to get interested in coins when I was about 10. So that would be 29 years. However, I consider myself having become 'very serious' about coins around 6 years ago.

I started my own collection in 1966.

Some nice folks were kind enough to give a kid a few interesting coins.

The seed they planted took root, and now, nearly 40 years later, I enjoy the hobby as much, or more, than ever.

The internet has allowed me to communicate with other collectors. Prior to our getting a computer, I had never talked to another serious coin collector.

It's definately one of my favorite aspects of the hobby.

Started 1966, at age 6....my dad bought me my first IHC 1902, at a coin show...shortly after, at age 6-7, I figured there was something big gonna happen with the change to 'clad' coins, so I started hoarding all the silver coins I could get ( not much for a 7 year-old, but a great idea )..still have all those. Collected into jr & high school...

Lost interest in college & Medical school, But got back into it with a vengance 3-4 years ago....looked back in some old coin mags & recalled wishing I had a coin from the 1700's, but thought that is only fantasy......Got me a nice 1798 large cent couple yrs ago....ouch!...the bug just bit again & now I am hopelessly incurable! :ninja: