CoinPeople.com

How long?

Ætheling

rougly 1985 when I was given a birth-year proofset (1975). Then I got a job in a coin store in 1988 and got serious. As an undergrad not so much, then my collection was stolen and I was bitter and jaded. A few years ago I "caught" the bug again and I am back, though more so into paper, especially nationals and foreign notes of all the places I've lived and been.

Cool topic BTW, nice to hear everyones stories on the "new" forum.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Actions speak louder than bumperstickers

What do you mean by "collect"? I make it easy by saying since 1992. I started in late 1992 and in late 1993, I joined the ANA and MSNS. That's about it, just over ten years.

Michael

Collected some when I was a kid and had a paper route in Indianapolis. I remember the big "change" in 1965 and everyone was hording the silver coins. I think they thought it was just a passing thing and the government would come to its senses and go back to silver coinage. When that didn't happen people lost interest and just spent their silver as fiat money. Anyway, I lost interest when I was in high school, then joined the service, started a family, all that. Came back to it in 2000 by collecting the State quarters, got serious about it again in 2003 and started actually "learning" about the hobby instead of just throwing old coins in the cigar box.

I have been collecting coins on and off for about 30 years. I am assuming I still have at least 3 times that to go...almost.

PAB

It's kind of funny, I never really thought about coin collecting till last year! I saw my 1st ever proof, it was a 2004 ASE. I immediately fell in love w/ coin. Now I don't care for proofs, with the exception of the older ones! I luv MS - AU coinage! :ninja:;)

I started collecting passively about 25 years ago as a child, probably around the age of 7-8. (My parents did not collect anything, my brother collected stamps.) The only thing I collected acitvely was US nickels.

I started actively collecting in 1990. The overhaul of Finnish coinage designs was the catalyst.