CoinPeople.com

Copper Dipping Poll

jlueke

Can you identify the dipped coins?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Can you identify the dipped coins?

• None have been dipped
    • All have been dipped
    • Choice 1 only has been dipped
    • Choice 2 only has been dipped
    • Choice 3 only has been dipped
    • Choice 1 and 2 have been dipped
    • Choice 1 and 3 have been dipped
    • Choice 2 and 3 have been dipped

I'm never one to be shy with an opinion even when it is a total guess. :lol:

On my monitor...

1 and 3 look to be circ. 2 looks Unc-ish as I can discern luster. 1 looks odd, kind of hazyish and has a splotch to it but that could be from something that happened in circulation, I guess, maybe. 2 and 3 look almost like they had some darkening done.

I will vote all 3 have had work so the real answer is probably none. :ninja:

I'd guess #2 has been treated. The photo makes it hard to tell because the damage to luster is one of the key diagnostics.

Well, this poll is more an experiment to see if the color of a dipped copper coin or coins is a dead giveaway or not.

If I just went by the color I see on my screen, #1 would be the one I was most suspect of. But, I have a cheap monitor and I have to ramp up the brightness and contrast on it to get stuff to look decent.

I voted 1, though #3 strikes me as a bit suspicious. What makes me unsure about 3 is that while the color is off, there is still some shine (not luster) to it which makes me think it may not have been dipped, or perhaps not long anyhow. #2 seems to still have its luster and "normal" color.

Well, this poll is more an experiment to see if the color of a dipped copper coin or coins is a dead giveaway or not.

A great deal depends on the elapsed time since dipping. Often copper coins can take weeks or even months before changing colors after dipping. Also, how color appears on various computer monitors can vary greatly.

That being said, I'd guess #1 only was dipped.

I am interested in knowing myself!

Looks like most people think 1 has been dipped. A lot of people think 3 has been dipped and not too many people think 2 has been dipped.

Only me and Rodney don't like any of them. :ninja:

I think that all 3 coins were dipped. The third has that lack luster fuzzy look. The second has that gold like toning that dipped Unc copper usually has. The first has a mottled look to it. Maybe it was extreamly brown and the dip was unable to lighten some of the darker spots. I could be way off but this is my guess.

OK answer please!!!

OK Then. In the aggregate 87.5% of votes thought #1 was dipped. 18.75% thought #2 was dipped and 68.75% thought #3 was dipped.

The majority is correct! #1 and #3 were indeed dipped.

#1 was circulated and is pretty obvious.

#2 was taken from my cent album where it's been for over a decade, it has never been unnaturally touched.

#3 would have been harder to detect. I did the reverse right but on the obverse I left the dip on a little longer than I wanted. I think I could have gotten it to 50/50 :ninja:

Anyway, all in all, copper dipping is the easiest to spot and the method most likely to damage your coins. Copper reacts quickly with the acids used in coin cleaners so only the most superficial dip or use of a weak acid has a chance of succeeding.

I think doing a poll like this with silver coins would yield almost random results.

As always, clean your coins as little as possible, usually not at all. If you do need to play with copper I recommend cream of tartar in distilled water, check on the coin every 30 minutes. Always practice on junk and clean at your own risk.

Archived