CoinPeople.com

Copper Dipping Poll

jlueke

Can you identify the dipped coins?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Can you identify the dipped coins?

• None have been dipped
    • All have been dipped
    • Choice 1 only has been dipped
    • Choice 2 only has been dipped
    • Choice 3 only has been dipped
    • Choice 1 and 2 have been dipped
    • Choice 1 and 3 have been dipped
    • Choice 2 and 3 have been dipped

On the reverse of #3, the only big giveaway is the pink spot in the field under the Memorial

I used the fast stuff too (nic-a-lene) which is really hard to control on copper.

The best technique I have found in altering copper coins is the old tried and true thumbing. While it won't work on all cents, when it does the results are very nice.

The coin is visibly brightened AND the minor hits and scuffs are filled in by the skin oils which contributes to the increased appearance of luster.

But, is that really altering the coin? Nothing unnatural is being applied except maybe some unnatural pressure from your own fingertips. Now it won't change a ag3 into ms67 but it does alter the coin, is that unethical?

The best technique I have found in altering copper coins is the old tried and true thumbing.  While it won't work on all cents, when it does the results are very nice.

The coin is visibly brightened AND the minor hits and scuffs are filled in by the skin oils which contributes to the increased appearance of luster.

But, is that really altering the coin?  Nothing unnatural is being applied except maybe some unnatural pressure from your own fingertips.  Now it won't change a ag3 into ms67 but it does alter the coin, is that unethical?

You know, that works well on cleaning up ancient bronzes as well. After getting the crusty dirt off human oils, rubbing the coins and acrrying them for a few days, really seem to help with the final cleaning process.

I wonder if there's something like human skin oil one can buy. When I google all I get is suspect PR for emu oil.

• 3 years later...

Archived