CoinPeople.com

Best Coin You Have Lost

Scottishmoney

The best coin I have lost permanently, from over 6 years ago was a 1670 Bristol Farthing, a 17th century token that was mailed to me by a friend in Scotland. The coin arrived in the mail the very day I got a call from my sister that my Mother was in the hospital and that I needed to travel to Washington DC immediately. In all the confusion and rush of the day, I think I may have accidentally put the coin back in the mailer it was in to put away, and then later in the day I mistakenly threw it away. It was one of the nicest Bristol farthings I had seen, I bought it from a friend for less than he paid for it. I hoped for a long time I would find it, but alas it probably is in some landfill somewhere :ninja:

And then there was the United Colonies $4 bill from May 1776 that I bought when I was a kid, I liked looking at it, and I had a bad habit then of looking at things and leaving them lying around the house. Somehow eventually it disappeared, of course I blamed my brother but he continued to deny taking it.

About a year later I decided to remove the bottom of our sofa, to dig out the coins I could hear jingling around on the dust cloth underneath. I found several coins, even half dollars, but the best find was my 1776 $4 bill in its holder, no worse for having spent over a year in the sofa.

I've "lost" alot lately, including 4 16d's, but that pales in comparison to the one's that were gifts from people over the decades. I consider these pieces unique, as the people who gave them are no longer around.

Proof 1856 Flying Eagle Cent

Gorgeous BU 1916 St. Lib. Q.

1901-S Quarter

1799 Large Cent

2 1893-S Morgans

Complete small cent collection in very high grade

Complete standing liberty quarter collection in high grade

on & on & on...

ALL STOLEN BY MY EX-WIFE in 1991 -- ironically, it was just TWO DAYS AGO that she decided to "ease her conscience" by telling me which NYC dealer fenced it... :ninja:

TOM

ANA-LM 5376

1926-s Oregon Trail Comemmorative half dollar ... PCGS MS-66 :ninja: I still can't figure out where the heck that thing went.

Guest Stujoe

I can't think of a coin I have permanently lost. But, there are many times when I have temporarily misplaced one. A frantic search entails after I realize it. But, fortunately, I have always found the wayward coin. It is usually in my desk or dresser drawer or some such place where I put it so I wouldn't forget where it was. :ninja:

Am I unique in saying I've never lost one?

All my coins are kept in my cabinet, with the some other ones in an album (which I rarely get out). So it's just a case of counting them out of the cabinet and ensuring they all go back in. I couldn't imagine losing one, or even having them stolen.

I haven't lost any either. Although when selling some proof sets recently I was checking my inventory of Silver, proof and mint sets and I am mysteriously missing 3- 2003 Mint sets. In my records I wrote down 3, but have no record of ever receiving them.

Think it's a case of I'm gonna order 3 mints sets, and never did...

I've had a few go missing in the mail, including a Carson City seated dime I mailed to numisnick at the same time I mailed kuhli some cool commie notes as a gift, neither ever arrived.

I narrowly missed losing a Peace dollar today. It was in a square tube in a box of them I had for sale at the flea market and a fellow who has been buying half dollars every weekend said, "Hey, how much for the tube with the silver dollar in it?"

I guess I had used that tube for Peace dollars and hadn't bothered to count when I dumped them out to sort and grade them.

1901-S Quarter

1799 Large Cent

2 1893-S Morgans

on & on & on...

ALL STOLEN BY MY EX-WIFE in 1991 -- ironically, it was just TWO DAYS AGO that she decided to "ease her conscience" by telling me which NYC dealer fenced it... :ninja:

TOM

ANA-LM 5376

I would thank her for clearing her black heart conscience, and then clear my own by talking with an attorney to file a civil suit (after we check to see if the statue of limitations has run out for criminal charges) to recover the value of the collection. That should help her ease her conscience even more.

Holy crap.

I received as an unadvertised and greatly appreciated bonus from an ebay dealer years ago, some crisp uncirculated world banknotes. I'll be darned if I can find them.

good seller though, nice foreign mint and proof sets, and a bonus in every auction.

all i still have from my childhood days of collecting isn't everything i once had.. there are a few things that i know i had, but who knows where they went.. but the one that sticks out the most is an '86 proof staute of liberty commemorative half that i got from my uncle.. for the rest of my life i'll wonder what happened to that. it's not worth much, but wtf...

1901-S Quarter

1799 Large Cent

2 1893-S Morgans

on & on & on...

ALL STOLEN BY MY EX-WIFE in 1991 -- ironically, it was just TWO DAYS AGO that she decided to "ease her conscience" by telling me which NYC dealer fenced it... ;)

TOM

ANA-LM 5376

I'd be upset if I lost just ONE of those items. Ugh. :ninja:

I'd be upset if I lost just ONE of those items.  Ugh. :ninja:

Mine was an 1851-O silver three cent piece many years ago (1960s).

I showed it to my grandfather, and somebody (me, maybe him or someone

else) set it down somewhere and nobody could remember where.

Looked all over but it was simply gone. The coin is of course very small

which probably factored into it missing so easily.

It was not in a holder of any kind, just "raw".

I am also missing several civil war era Missouri banknotes. I am positive they

are around my computer desk somewhere but the whole thing is such a mess

in there I don't know how or when I will make another attempt to find them.

Been missing about a year now. ;)

no coin, but a note.

In the 1980's the Dutch 5 gulden note was demonitized and a 5 gulden coin was issued instead.

Geld_5_Gulden1.jpg

Geld_5_Gulden.jpg

I took some crisp UNC notes that I got at the bank and put them in an envelope and placed that on a shelf in my room.

It sat there for several years, I can still point out the exact location.

Then I moved to a another house. Things went in boxes, boxes went in cars, boxes went out of cars to attick. Boxes were taken off the attick and emptied and the contents were placed in the appropriate places in th new house.

But I never found that envelop again :ninja:

I am also missing several civil war era Missouri banknotes.  I am positive they

are around my computer desk somewhere but the whole thing is such a mess

in there I don't know how or when I will make another attempt to find them.

Been missing about a year now. ;)

No doubt about it, my entire Saturday would be spent cleaning up around, near, under, between and any other area until those Missouri banknotes were found! I would even consider doing a lower GI scope on the cat if I thought it would help find them.

Yikes! :ninja:

No doubt about it, my entire Saturday would be spent cleaning up around, near, under, between and any other area until those Missouri banknotes were found! I would even consider doing a lower GI scope on the cat if I thought it would help find them.

Yikes!  :ninja:

I have looked in all the obvious places and so now I'm going to have to

get more creative. I did find five unc. 1864 $2 Confederate notes I bought at

an auction years ago in a white envelope.

• 2 weeks later...
no coin, but a note.

In the 1980's the Dutch 5 gulden note was demonitized and a 5 gulden coin was issued instead.

I took some crisp UNC notes that I got at the bank and put them in an envelope and placed that on a shelf in my room.

It sat there for several years, I can still point out the exact location.

Then I moved to a another house. Things went in boxes, boxes went in cars, boxes went out of cars to attick. Boxes were taken off the attick and emptied and the contents were placed in the appropriate places in th new house.

But I never found that envelop again ;)

A similar thing happened to me less than two years ago when we moved to our current home. Just after 12 midnight when €uros became available here, my wife and I walked to an ATM. I withdrew a €20 note and saved the receipt that showed the time and date. I lost both in the move. :ninja:

Other than that I cannot recall losing any other coin or note.

• 2 years later...

I found a gorgeous 1970-S cent in change once. I was a beginner then and was going to put it in my whitman folder but then noticed there are different size dates. I think I IDed it as the less common one (small date?) and was busy verifying it. Then it disappeared. I think my mom or someone spent it.

I can still see the orange of the coin today. That is one of the few dates/mints after the 1930s that I still am missing in my whitman folder.... :ninja:

thank god i can say i nvr lost any of my coins :D an nvr stolen also :D thank god ^_^ even though ppl always ask me wat i think my collection is worth :ninja: id say if u sell each coin for 100 fils ($0.27)(junk bin cost here) ill still get bout 400-500 bd ($ 1063.83 - 1329.79) :D an no1 i know will steal em thank god ;) since most ppl here dont actually know where an how 2 sell em xD lol an cant ever carry my collection out of my room ;) so heavy ;) an divided into parts no1 can find ;) eheh ^_^

As a kid (about 12-14), I bought a 1909-VDB cent (probably VF+), put it in my pocket, went to an arcade and thought I could fool a nickel machine by putting in the cent that was in my pocket. I realized what I had done when I got home. Doh!