What did the mailman bring today?

bobbycoin

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2001-P MS66W .....what's the W stand for if it's a P mint?

White. I don't know why they use that designation other than it indicates a coin with great mint luster and no toning of anykind. (At least that's my understanding of it.).

Perfect timing - right on Europe Day (9 May) my set of the "Treaty of Rome" coins got completed. :ninja:

I also got the 2007 set from Finland. This year's circulation coins are a little different, on either side, from the previous ones: On the reverse they have the new map that most euro countries started using this year; on the obverse a tiny "FI" was added as a country identifier.

Christian

Like those French 50FF coins, nice big heavy coins that feel like money. These had been demonetised for years when I was in Paris in 2000, and you could buy them for melt, even the BU examples so I picked up several of them, and saved the later 100 FF coins from circulation by getting them at banks etc.

Yes, that is a nice coin, my favorite in the set since it's bigger than a silver dollar! I think 1974 was the first year that it was a 50 F coin, as prior to that it was a 10 F coin, and prior to that it was a 5 F coin! When I was in Paris in 1995, the largest coin they had was the 10 F coin, which was a bimetallic. The 5 F, 1 F, 1/2 F, 20c, 10c and 5c coins were all the same as the ones in this set. Of course they also had 2 F coins which were not in this set.

Yes, that is a nice coin, my favorite in the set since it's bigger than a silver dollar! I think 1974 was the first year that it was a 50 F coin, as prior to that it was a 10 F coin, and prior to that it was a 5 F coin! When I was in Paris in 1995, the largest coin they had was the 10 F coin, which was a bimetallic. The 5 F, 1 F, 1/2 F, 20c, 10c and 5c coins were all the same as the ones in this set. Of course they also had 2 F coins which were not in this set.

Actually the largest circulating coin was the 100FF, but it was more for show than anything else. The 20FF coin is a trimetallic, but again like the 100FF it was more for show than anything and you had to ask for them. The 2FF coins were first used ca. 1980 or so. I never liked the 2FF coins design, it cheapened the Marianne design of the 1/2FF 1FF and 5FF coins. I think I have a year 2000 set somewhere that has everything from the centime to the 20FF coins in it. I once had the year 2000 gold franc, but I sold it and wisht I hadn't.

I have to agree on the 2 F coin, though I still like the sower design better than anything that's circulated in this country over the last 60 years! I also got a 1992 1F coin that was a commemorative that I thought had a very nice design too. And now from what I've seen, the French euro designs are but an empty shell of what they used to have!

I have to agree on the 2 F coin, though I still like the sower design better than anything that's circulated in this country over the last 60 years! I also got a 1992 1F coin that was a commemorative that I thought had a very nice design too. And now from what I've seen, the French euro designs are but an empty shell of what they used to have!

I liked the circulating commems there, I saved the Jean Moulin commems, and the Marie Curie coins whenever I got them. Some of the funniest experiences getting coins there in France was going into banks and asking for rolls of coins, like the 5 centimes, they actually laughed at me for wanting them.

• 4 weeks later...
i just got 20$ worth of wheaties today!!! which almost cost me 100$ :ninja: ill have more soon i have to buy myself somthing for my bday ;)

Man, and here I am selling mine for 1.25 a roll, lol. If you're looking for bulk wheaties, online can cost so much more than local shops because of shipping. And most won't ship in $9 bulk boxes because they don't have them on hand. I on the otherhand love those things, it's a great way to ship large amounts of anything.

I have 5000 wheats, though thoroughly searched for 14-D's etc. There are early dates in them, like teens and twenties. At some point if I didn't have to ship them at great expense I would like to sell them. I went through them several years ago, and then a couple of months ago my kids had them spilled all over the dining room table looking for pennies for their Whitman folders.

Man, and here I am selling mine for 1.25 a roll, lol. If you're looking for bulk wheaties, online can cost so much more than local shops because of shipping. And most won't ship in $9 bulk boxes because they don't have them on hand. I on the otherhand love those things, it's a great way to ship large amounts of anything.

:ninja: sounds like i need to start ordering from you ;) would your wheaties be rolled up by decade or just 1909-58?

Mine are all common stuff, so it's really only the 30's-58 but there are some stray 20's and maybe a few teens as well. I did separate them into decades in earlier dates and individual dates for later years, so I have a few partial rolls.

When I got them they were obviously searched through for anything highly valuable though, then again any "unsearched" penny hoards have been unless you know exactly who owned them for the last 50 years, lol. My grandpa has about $100 face in rolls of silver coins and wheatbacks, indian heads, morgan dollars and so on in a safe from when he owned a service station that he lost the key for 15-20 years ago, so those I know those at least are unsearched, lol. Someday when he either finds the key, or has it cracked, I know what I'll be doing for a few hours, lol. :ninja:

Mine are all common stuff, so it's really only the 30's-58 but there are some stray 20's and maybe a few teens as well. I did separate them into decades in earlier dates and individual dates for later years, so I have a few partial rolls.

When I got them they were obviously searched through for anything highly valuable though, then again any "unsearched" penny hoards have been unless you know exactly who owned them for the last 50 years, lol. My grandpa has about $100 face in rolls of silver coins and wheatbacks, indian heads, morgan dollars and so on in a safe from when he owned a service station that he lost the key for 15-20 years ago, so those I know those at least are unsearched, lol. Someday when he either finds the key, or has it cracked, I know what I'll be doing for a few hours, lol. :ninja:

Back when I was about 10 or so my Grandfather had a safe full of old coins(he didn't trust banks) My father let me search through them, but being only 10 I really did not appreciate the significance of them and my aunt later took them all to the bank. I remember buying one 1878 Silver Dollar, in bright BU, but the rest of them I left. Now I wonder what I passed over.

my uncle donnie is an extreme collector of guns and coins when he was building his house her puts bags of coins in the wall so no one would steal them of course being almost 17 i didnt belive him so he went and punched a hole in his bedroom wall and there was a rolls of morgans!!! id like to buy his house :ninja: