CoinPeople.com

What did the mailman bring today?

bobbycoin

It wasn't really the mailman, but a good friend who heard that I collect George V lately. I absolutely love this coin. It is so heavily worn, but, as soon as I had laid eyes on it, I started wondering about the amount of pints of lager this coin has bought. I don't really know the technical processes that have caused the effect, but I love the fact that you can see the outline of the portrait on the reverse. This coin probably bores most coin collectors, I've fallen in love with it immediately. :ninja:

926499.jpg

It's a great coin. I have a fairly nice run of these in conditions from AG to BU. I especially like the Vicki versions.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a great coin. I have a fairly nice run of these in conditions from AG to BU. I especially like the Vicki versions.

Any chance of seeing some on omnicoin or here? I couldn't find any in your gallery (even though you have some other fine looking treasures).

This coin is horribly distracting. I am looking at it all the time. Fascinating. :ninja:

Like Art, I have quite a few of these, and I have a nice little pile of queen Victoria ones as well, which the (Matron head I think it's called) is the one I like the most, the last design before George the V appeared on them. I love the ones in P1-G4 and then only in Bu, there is something about heavy wear on them that makes them rather interesting and very nice to hold.

Indeed. I've also found out where the coin came from. This friend was in the UK shortly after the change to the decimal system. Apparently there were some kind of game machines in England at the time you threw pennies into and if you got lucky it spat some out as a prize. :ninja:

What better way to celebrate our independence that with a coin from the 55th year of our independence! I bought this one off eBay and it arrived a couple of days ago. I was having lunch with a good friend when it arrived and he is not a coin collector, but he humors me. He looked at it and his first words were "boy she has big boobies..." :ninja: I bought this one since it looked like it had descent color and it does, with a good bit of luster remaining in the devices. When I examined it closely, I discovered another pleasant surprise as this is one of the coins that was made with experimental edge dies (1830-31) which you can see the progression as the mint was experimenting in advance of the reeded edge coins of 1836 (edge photos are so hard!!!).

Happy Independence Day!!!

1831p50cobv.JPG

1831p50crev.JPG

1831p50cedge.JPG

what are the diagnostics for the experimental edge?

On a normal CBH, the edge is lettered with "Fifty Cents or Half a Dollar" on the 1830 and 1831 experimental edges, there was reeding or slight grooving between the words on the lettered edge. You can see the grooves or rudimentary reeding in the photo.

Jeesh Jeff, what is that, your 20th bust half this year? Haha, you could start selling them by the roll soon! :ninja:

That's how I am with the one dollar notes lately. That dang green eagle has slipped through my fingers again though, I lost 3 separate auctions to the same friggin guy tonight for some nice Vf+ ones. Feh! I think I'm just going to sell some stuff and buy an Unc and be done with it, lol.

Yeah, I've had the same frustration with some bust halves lately, but at least most of the time I was WAYYY outbid, so I didn't feel so bad. My green eagle now resides in a PMG 55EPQ holder, bought it at a local show for around $300 as I recall.

I'm looking for a Unc, maybe not Ch Unc, but a white unfolded, unstained unc, for around that. The lower grade ones, Vf-XF seem to draw the crowds, while the uncs are pretty much one bid one win kinda deal. I've lost by 5-15 dollars on every single note so far, which really urked me. So that's why I'm trying for a better note, it will be better to own in the long run anyway.

Thanks Jeff, I eventually wanted to upgrade my note collection to uncs anyway, so I guess this will just be that extra push. Besides I already have the black eagle in unc, and that's one of the harder ones, so why not right? I'm about to list a bunch of stuff for sale here to help with this little venture, lol. Hopefully I can sell it all without resorting to eBay. Mainly a lot of silver, and a ms indian....anyone in the market? :ninja:

Lots of coins came today. Three pennies from the UK. 1920, 1922 and 1926. Even though I only collect types and not dates these were cheap and I never say no to that. ;)

I'll show you just one because I have no idea what causes this surface effect. It makes it difficult to look at the coin, but the thing really is in very good condition what the details are concerned. Any idea what that is? This multitude of fine lines are no scratches, that I can see with my magnifying glass.

926597.jpg

By the way, one can see signs of "ghosting" on this coin as well. It doesn't show on the picture though.

Then a New Zealand Shilling in an ok condition. Might buy me a better quality one in the future.

926600.jpg

And then, since I am a proud citizen of the Grossherzogtum Hessen Darmstadt, I had to get me at least one of our coins. ;) Here it is.

HessenDarmstadt.jpg

For those who don't know this already, "Scheidemünze" means that this coin's legal value is higher than its actual metal weight.

That was it for today. The other two pennies you can find in my Georg V Village Collection. :ninja:

And then, since I am a proud citizen of the Grossherzogtum Hessen Darmstadt, I had to get me at least one of our coins. ;)

Oh, you are? Does that mean you're dead? :ninja:

Actually I did something similar last year and earlier this year. Got three 200+ yr old coins, Scheidemünzen as well, from Jülich-Kleve-Berg and the Grand Duchy of Berg. One from Carl Theodor, one from Maximilian Joseph, one from Joachim Murat. Not exactly my main area of collecting, but I'm from Düsseldorf which used to be the capital of Berg. ;)

Christian

I am actually from 1870!! Trust me! :ninja:

Well, I guess it is only natural for coin collectors and wannabes, like myself, to get at least one coin from the area they live in. Any chance of having a peek at those coins you describe somewhere on the www?

Here are a couple things that arrived over the last couple weeks. First is an unc. roll of 1955-S dimes I bought from Dadstuff:

1955s10croll.JPG

This is a hammered English penny from the late 13th to early 14th century that I bought from someone on the NGC boards. Still not sure why I bought it, but it's pretty neat!

1272englishpennyobv.JPG

1272englishpennyrev.JPG

"Well, I guess it is only natural for coin collectors and wannabes, like myself, to get at least one coin from the area they live in."

:ninja: ya since bahrain first made their own coins until now i have each an every single 1 ;) not that hard since they started in 1965 x< ;) but before that we used indian annas here ;) nxt im trying to find old persian/iranian coins x) since all my granparents are originaly from there ;) (getting coins in the place u live is easy xD)

Today the mailman brought me a nice box full of world coins I bought off a friend. Lots of nice coins, all circulated, but mostly from areas I've never been to. Still haven't gone through all of them as there are about 120 coins in the box. In it, unexpectedly, my first US coin ever. A Lincoln cent from 1981. The interesting part is that the Obverse seems off center. The rim over Lincoln is nearly non existent while the rim on the bottom is too wide. I apologize for the bad photograph but this little thing is a pain to take a picture of and I am just getting to know the equipment of our photographer! :ninja:

Lincoln.jpg

Anyway, I am aware that this is nothing special. It was still a nice surprise. Can't wait to get home to look at the rest.

PS: Oops... I got my fingerprint all over Lincoln.

This day has been absolutely horrible so I felt quite happy when I got my second Half Piastre coin from Cyprus. This is in a better condition than another one I already had. After a good look at it I also discovered a little error on it (could somebody let me know how you would call this kind of error?). Anyway... this and my cute girl were my mood savers today. :ninja:

926940.jpg